Which to choose: Church Kindy vs PCF

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Which to choose: Church Kindy vs PCF

Postby meiah » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi,

I would like your opinions here. I have a gal going to pre-nursery next year (3 years next year) but I'm not sure which to send her to.

What would you choose?
1. PCF - 2hrs. 8.30am. Next to my block. Cheaper fees and more convenient. Walk. Void-deck type. Enrolment - 12. (1 class of PN)

2. Ascension Kindergarten - 3 hrs. 11am. 10 min drive, sch bus I dunno. It's in Potong Pasir and I live in Toa Payoh. Sch-like environment with hall, play area, classrooms, etc... Enrolment - 90 (6 classes of PN)

I'm feeling torn cos while I want her to study in a sch-like environment, my PILs want her in PCF cos it's near. But I don't really have a good impression of pcf. Is pcf better these days?

Earlier this year, she attended Singapore Montessori Kindy she enjoyed running in the playground under the sun. But then we're shifting so SMK would be too far for her.

She's the outdoor type but pcf doesn't have a playground and the general environment looks not fun. But my PILs would be happy.

Which would you pick? TIA.

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby twotwobravo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:47 pm

i think u should give pcf a try first.
you still have a chance to transfer/register her to AK for N2, K1 n K2 if u dun like pcf after a few months or a year.

pcf -nearer, cheaper, easy for ur family member and the kid.

twotwobravo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 pm

hi,
my ds1 was from regular pcf (not premium type) from Nursery til K2.
i chose to enrol my ds2 in a church kindergarten since PRE-nursery cos of
1. they have more commited teachers
2. their curriculum is better
3. they have a proper school compound
4. why from pre-nursery? cos vacancies are very very limited if you later choose to join them at Nursery or K levels as most children stay on from PreN to K2.

i will suggest that you check both places out and see which one give you a better feel. that is assuming you have the budget cos pcf and church kindergarten's fee scale is very different; you may want to factor in bus fare if your parents feels that the church kindy is too far to send and fetch.

MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby meiah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi twotwobravo and jedamum,

Thanks for your response.

For me, fees should not be a problem since I'm using cda to pay. Sending her to PCF is for convenient and parents-in-law happy. That's the only reason. Send to AK cos the environment seems better. Children also look happy. I went there to look see before.

Problem is both pcf and AK got limited space.

If go PCF in 2011 and dun like, won't be able to get into AK the following year 2012 because need to contend for space with existing pre-nursery pupils. Somemore now AK pre-nursery for 2011 already full-house - 90 intake. How to go back into nursery in 2012?

If go AK and dun like, also cannot go back to PCF cos only got 1 class. And I believe full-house too cos I almost kenna "balloting" altho staying within the school zone! Toa Payoh pre-sch like so few and like everywhere no space kind.

My 2 elder ds went different church kindy and not PCF. But at that time, PILs never make noise, now they want near near.

Haiz, if never move house, no need to think cos will be still at SMK.

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 am

meiah wrote:Hi twotwobravo and jedamum,

Thanks for your response.

For me, fees should not be a problem since I'm using cda to pay. Sending her to PCF is for convenient and parents-in-law happy. That's the only reason. Send to AK cos the environment seems better. Children also look happy. I went there to look see before.

Problem is both pcf and AK got limited space.

If go PCF in 2011 and dun like, won't be able to get into AK the following year 2012 because need to contend for space with existing pre-nursery pupils. Somemore now AK pre-nursery for 2011 already full-house - 90 intake. How to go back into nursery in 2012?

If go AK and dun like, also cannot go back to PCF cos only got 1 class. And I believe full-house too cos I almost kenna "balloting" altho staying within the school zone! Toa Payoh pre-sch like so few and like everywhere no space kind.

My 2 elder ds went different church kindy and not PCF. But at that time, PILs never make noise, now they want near near.

Haiz, if never move house, no need to think cos will be still at SMK.

spend a bit more for sch bus if your in-laws really did not want to travel; alternatively, offer to top up their allowances for the additional effort in travelling a bit further to fetch your kid :wink:

as for full-house pre-nursery, nursery's teacher-student ratio is higher so there will still be vacancies, so you have to be vigilant in monitoring when is the enrolment date for nursery classes cos although there is vacancies for nursery classes, if all church kindie follows similar enrolment procedures (like my boy's church kindie registration have 'phases'), priority are given to siblings of existing students and church goers.

all the best in your decision.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby twotwobravo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Btw, is it true, heard or an assumption that the PCF student were less happier or learn lesser than Ak student?

How about Tpy Meth Church Kinder?

twotwobravo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:18 pm

hi meiah,

I met 2 kids from AK (from DS1's music class). Their mums told me that their kids are very happy in there. I thought to put DS2 in there next year in K1, but apparently there's no hope.

I'm not sure which PCF you are referring to, although logistics is very important, I think what's more important is the syllabus and the teachers in there. if you are able, interview the aunties picking up their grand/kids and asked them how the school is, whether they always change teachers, etc. No point a place be within easy reach but the teachers are not caring/not teaching well etc.

Good luck with your choice.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Church kindy

Postby janet88 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi meiah,
Is the PCF you're planning to send your daughter to near home ? Since fees are not the issue, then it's all about your personal preference. If your in-laws are not comfortable travelling, then let her take school bus.

PCF usually easier to enroll as compared to kindergartens. Your daughter will be the one attending the kindy. Why don't you bring her to both PCF and AK to have a feel ? You can also observe the interaction and make a decision.

It's never easy to make a decision.
I am staying near PCF & also Glory Kindergarten. When I registered son for nursery back then, I didn't want to register him at PCF bcos I want him to have fun (heard PCF gives homework). Brought him to Glory Kindergarten for a look and the then-principal pissed me off.
These 2 kindys are just 5 min walk from home....in the end, we decided on Arise bcos the principal/teachers interacted well with son.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hardworking » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:23 pm

I registered ds at 3 kindergartens including AK. But my parents were against it because they were worried that ds might not wake up in time to board the school bus. I had no choice and registered at PCF and ds attended 3 years of PCF till K2. He used to dislike CL but he just blossom after K2. He never have any CL tuition till now and he is still doing HCL at secondary school. I am very grateful to PCF for building ds's CL foundation. Also, PCF is nearby and ds left home 10 minutes before school time. Find one that is suitable for your child.

hardworking
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby meiah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 am

Hi,

Tks tks so much for all your replies. Ultimately, I guess I will have to make a decision soon cos it will be time to confirm her place in the school soon.

jedamum:
:lol: It's the sch bus that they don't like.

Yes, although the tr-st ratio in nursery is higher, but like what you said, the bulk comes from existing pupils and what is left are the few places for siblings and those who are connected to the school. Me this kind has absolutely no chance after PN.

twotwobravo:
Erm... that I'm not sure cos I did not visit the PCF pupils so I can't tell how happy they are. When I went to AK and walked around the sch with the VP, the kids were all greeting her cheerfully.

Recently I heard that my gal went to play with those from PCF. She enjoyed herself playing with them at the public playground until she didn't want to go home. So for happiness, I think PCF pupils quite happy too but they only get the outdoor play once a week. But what I'm concern is that anyone can play with these kids since my kid succesfully got herself into the group.

I think whether AK or PCF, some parents will always complain about academics, so maybe no need to delve too much on this ba.

hquek:
No hope as in no vacancy? The PCF I'm refering to is the one next to my block in TPY. Logistics super good cos rain also no need umbrella.

I agree with your sentiments about syllabus and environment. THese are very important. Unfortunately, I do not have the chance to ask around. Maybe I should ask my mil to go kaypo and ask. :wink:

janet_lee88:
Yes, very near. I am not sure if I'm allow to take her to AK/PCF to mingle. Do schs allow such stuff?

hardworking:
Wah! 3! May I know why you pick AK in the beginning?

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care