Need advice - when to put my girl in childcare?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Need advice - when to put my girl in childcare?

Postby nanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:51 pm

I am now not working taking care of my girl since she was 13 months old.
She will turn 18 months this month.

I've signed up with a childcare centre recently and still thinking when should I enroll her? I am planning to enroll her first and let her settle down, get used to it before I start working full time.

I am considering either October or November. Which is better? I plan to let her be at childcare for at least 1 month before I start working.
So if I enroll her in Oct, I will start working in Nov provided I found a job by then.

Also, another concern whether it is easy to get a job now and worse is year end where everyone is waiting for bonus?

Anyone can advise.. thanks. :)

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:53 pm

I think there is an existing discussion thread on this topic.

I start sending my DS to childcare (half-day) when he was 18mths old, not because there is no one to look after & teach him, but simply he being the only child, I wanted him to learn social skills, mix with other kids his age, and to a limited extend, be bullied and become tougher.

It is good that you planned for a month gap before you start working. Some children take longer to adjust to new environment and would fall sick frequently in the initial days to weeks. Depends on your child and how healthy she is, you may need longer than 1 month.

Job market is picking up, companies are hiring again.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Need advice - when to put my girl in childcare?

Postby LKVM » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 pm

nanana wrote:I am now not working taking care of my girl since she was 13 months old.

I've signed up with a childcare centre recently and still thinking when should I enroll her? I am planning to enroll her first and let her settle down, get used to it before I start working full time.

I am considering either October or November. Which is better? I plan to let her be at childcare for at least 1 month before I start working.
So if I enroll her in Oct, I will start working in Nov provided I found a job by then.

Also, another concern whether it is easy to get a job now and worse is year end where everyone is waiting for bonus?

Why dont you start sending her for half day 1st? This will give you chance to go for any interviews if required.... also this will give chance for her to adjust to new environment...

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 pm

tankee wrote:I think there is an existing discussion thread on this topic.

I start sending my DS to childcare (half-day) when he was 18mths old, not because there is no one to look after & teach him, but simply he being the only child, I wanted him to learn social skills, mix with other kids his age, and to a limited extend, be bullied and become tougher.

It is good that you planned for a month gap before you start working. Some children take longer to adjust to new environment and would fall sick frequently in the initial days to weeks. Depends on your child and how healthy she is, you may need longer than 1 month.

Job market is picking up, companies are hiring again.

Yup, I want my girl to learn more things in childcare and pick up social skills. But also worry that she may fall sick often. So I plan to standby for at least 1 month before I start working again. By then will be year end.. not sure if able to get a job. :)

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Need advice - when to put my girl in childcare?

Postby nanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm

LKVM wrote:
nanana wrote:I am now not working taking care of my girl since she was 13 months old.

Why dont you start sending her for half day 1st? This will give you chance to go for any interviews if required.... also this will give chance for her to adjust to new environment...

I am not too sure if the childcare centre can let me put half day first (Charge me half day fee) and convert to full day after that. But I signed up for the full day trial because the fee difference is very little.
Parent can stay for 1 full day and 2 half days during the trial period though.

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi,

I sent my boy to chidcare at 18mths old (to be exact, he was 18 months and 1 week old on his first day of school).

My main reason was that he is the only child and there are no other kids at home to play with him. We wanted him to learn social skills when interacting with peers his age.

My main concern was also health concerns. Will he fall sick? Will he like the school's food? What if he rejects their food and not eat?

2 months before he started attending the CCC, I started him on supplements. You can read up more about the type of supplements I gave him to boost his immune system on my blog:
www.thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com

Also, I brought his lunch to school for him in Thermo flask everyday. He rejected the school's food as he was not exposed to any form of flavouring or seasoning yet. He was just not used to his school's food. It took him 6 months to get used to their food but the teachers were very accomodating about us bringing him food (I'm quite fussy too, at that time, he was still on partial organic food).

1/2 day price is not much from full day price.
What I did was pay for full day.
Then we sent him late and picked him early to help him ease into the environment.

Kids will be scared if they are left at somewhere unfamiliar for long hours.
However, I do not want to go with him also due to the fact that he might think that it's ok for mummy to stay with him and he will insist on that in future.

This is what we did:
- Before that day, we actually brought him there a few times and told him that's his school. Showed him the toys which he loved and he saw the story telling session which he liked. So he has a good first impression of the school.
- He is more afraid of my hubs, so my hubs sent him there. He will not 'whine' with my hubs. So he has no opportunity to whine to ask us to bring him home.
- All of us assured him that we will pick him up at the end of the day. And we did. (He's the first grandson and going to school for the first time, everyone is anxious, including my siblings! So everyone went to pick him up!)
- Hubs dropped him off at around 9am, then the other kids have arrived and they are about to start their day (activities).
- Hubs and my dad hung around the CCC and peeped through the windows. Just in case.
- I went into the CCC at 11.30 pm (just before their lunch) and brought him home. Did this for 1 week.
- Following week we told my boy that he'll eat with the kids (he saw them eating a few times when we were leaving the week before). He seemed ok with the idea.
- 2nd week, hubs drop off at 9am, I pick up at 12.30pm (just finish lunch, time to shower then nap).
- 3rd week, hubs drop off at 9am, I pick up at 3pm (finish shower and nap).
- 4th week, hubs drop off at 9am, I pick up at 4pm (finish tea break)

Subsequently, my mum, dad and I took turns to pick him up at random timings.
But everyday we told him who will fetch him and assured him that we will come.

Usually we pick him up at around 5pm and he is usually the first kid to go home.
There was once when my mum was caught in traffic jam, my dad was overseas and I was stuck in a meeting with parent and it was near 7pm. I MMS the CCC teacher my colleague's photo (my colleague went to pick him up on my behalf since his CCC was just across my office). My colleague (thankfully my boy knows him) picked him up and told me that he was the last kid and he looked so scared and sad.
I quickly hugged my boy and apologised and brought him home once I settled the parent. After that day, he cried a few times when we brought him to school (think he was scared that we did not pick him up).

It took a while to reassure him again.

Anyway, the CCC will ask you to submit photos and IC number of authorised personnel to pick up your kiddo. It's good to just give everyone's photo. Thankful for MMS cos I managed to authorise my colleague at the last minute.

Since you still have time just pay for full day and slowly allow her to adjust. You've already paid for full day, they can't say no if you choose to pick up your child early :D

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happydaddy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:33 pm

pls note... pls prepare, for full day, yr kid will fall sick once a mth and maybe till nursery. And when they are sick, it will drag for a wk to recover.

if yr kid is weak, pls put her half day first...

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:16 am

happydaddy wrote:pls note... pls prepare, for full day, yr kid will fall sick once a mth and maybe till nursery. And when they are sick, it will drag for a wk to recover.

if yr kid is weak, pls put her half day first...

not true...
My boy only feel sick thrice...
Once was hfmd caught outside school, twice was normal flu which he recovered from in less than 2 days.

As I said, before you let your kid start CCC, make sure their immune sstem is strong.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nanana » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 pm

mrswongtuition,

Thanks for sharing! I am very keen to get the supplements you mentioned. Will check them out. :)

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care