What will you do?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

What will you do?

Postby waitrose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Kiasuparents

My P1 child has a new Chinese Teacher and is very particular about the way the pupils write their han zi.
For instance, kou.. if the kou was not written straight.. then she will cross it and make the pupils do their corrections.. and even minus marks away during their chinese spelling...

What will you do? Will you talk to the Chinese Teacher or just leave it?

Appreciate your sharing..

Cheers
Waitrose

waitrose
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 pm

This happens to my kids too. Teachers are very very strict with the bi hua. I think it's good as it trains them to be more careful.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby waitrose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:52 pm

MMM wrote:This happens to my kids too. Teachers are very very strict with the bi hua. I think it's good as it trains them to be more careful.

Thanks MMM! But the thing is it will kill the child's interest on writing Han zi when already they find it very hard to write han zi and now more corrections which equal to more home work..?
actually, i did ask the enrichment class teacher.. actually it shld be more giving to the P1 pupils, as some of them may still developing fine motor skills etc and hence they may not be able to write the han zi very "pro"..
but I am afraid that the teacher may mark the kid if we parent sort of approach the teacher about it... what do you think?

Thanks
Waitrose

waitrose
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Take it positively that the teacher is concerned about how they are writing. From young if they learn to take the easy way out, it'll be hard to correct the wrong strokes in future.

I get DS1 to write chinese words....the way he goes about it is classic assembly line. Write one section of the word, x times; then go back to finish up. Can faint.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby alternateshift » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:52 pm

am sure u would require your kids to write the english letters correctly as well right?

and i think it is more so impt to know the correct strokes for chinese

alternateshift
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fattysuperfamily » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:05 pm

How abt speaking? IMO, speaking correctly beats writing the strokes perfectly...dont get extra marks for a perfect stroked characters right? hm...agreed that going to the extreme kills the interests of the child...

fattysuperfamily
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What will you do?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 pm

waitrose wrote:Hi Kiasuparents

My P1 child has a new Chinese Teacher and is very particular about the way the pupils write their han zi.
For instance, kou.. if the kou was not written straight.. then she will cross it and make the pupils do their corrections.. and even minus marks away during their chinese spelling...

What will you do? Will you talk to the Chinese Teacher or just leave it?

Appreciate your sharing..

Cheers
Waitrose

I asked the teacher why in front of my child so that she heard it too and understand why. I had the same issue about this and it is rather subjective but I took it as a time for my child to learn some discipline the CL teacher is trying to enforce.

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care