Criteria for a Good Childcare Centre

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Re: Criteria for a Good Childcare Centre

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:25 pm

sansanjs wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:24 pm
Do most of the preschool has separate bathroom for little girls and boys or most of them only have one unisex bathroom. I have seen a few with shared bathroom and girls and boys go in at the same time
I recall that my son’s kindergarten (brmck) had a shared bathroom (no shower facilities) for the kids. The sinks were clustered at the centre of the bathroom, easier for the teachers to eyeball their washing of hands.

The cubicles all have lockable doors for privacy. The girls were told to use one row of cubicles at the left side of the sinks, the boys used another row of cubicles at the right side of the sinks. No urinals.

I believe that’s private enough.

Have you seen some preschools that lack sufficient privacy? Do share!

sansanjs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by sansanjs » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:52 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:25 pm
sansanjs wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:24 pm
Do most of the preschool has separate bathroom for little girls and boys or most of them only have one unisex bathroom. I have seen a few with shared bathroom and girls and boys go in at the same time
I recall that my son’s kindergarten (brmck) had a shared bathroom (no shower facilities) for the kids. The sinks were clustered at the centre of the bathroom, easier for the teachers to eyeball their washing of hands.

The cubicles all have lockable doors for privacy. The girls were told to use one row of cubicles at the left side of the sinks, the boys used another row of cubicles at the right side of the sinks. No urinals.

I believe that’s private enough.

Have you seen some preschools that lack sufficient privacy? Do share!

Actually I have seen two. First one I withdraw my girl out right away because both n1 girls n boys crowd in the bathroom that has only 2 cubicles. Teachers didn’t really guide them in the cubicles. No one flushes n boys splatter urine on the cover n no one clean before the next person goes in. My girl went in and ask me how to use when it’s so dirty. I can’t look pass it even though few ppl gave good reviews about the school.
Today she started a new school the teacher remove the boy undies in front of everyone in bathroom to change diapers. Even though is just n1 but my girl is on a mature side n I do wish she get the right idea of decency.
Or am I being an anxious parents

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 pm

No I think your concerns are valid. Preschools set the foundation for our children. It’s only right that they should be teaching about respecting privacy, and also basic toilet etiquette like boys lift the lid up first, boys + girls wipe any splatters after you’re done etc. If they can teach playground & mealtime etiquette, I’m sure they can and should teach these too. The problem is some teachers bo chap.

sansanjs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by sansanjs » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:28 am

zac's mum wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 pm
No I think your concerns are valid. Preschools set the foundation for our children. It’s only right that they should be teaching about respecting privacy, and also basic toilet etiquette like boys lift the lid up first, boys + girls wipe any splatters after you’re done etc. If they can teach playground & mealtime etiquette, I’m sure they can and should teach these too. The problem is some teachers bo chap.
Totally agree with you. After searching for a right school that meet my criteria I come to realization it’s not about the school but it’s the teacher. Which it’s not in my hand to control much seeing how frequent the teachers turnover especially for n1.
I only have 2 criteria. Teacher guidance to use bathroom and separate little girls and boys
Teacher talk in full sentence instead of using word or phase to command. N use pls and can and thank you when they speak to them.

rainbow_icecream
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by rainbow_icecream » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am

Besides the basic academic aspect, what is important to me is how caring the teachers are, how well they guide the kids and the general vibe from the kids when I step into the school. Whether they are courteous, warm and happy.

I have seen a high end preschool which focused on academics and the children are stern looking and quiet when we stepped in. Seems like very strict to me.