Criteria for a Good Childcare Centre

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
kittysocks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Criteria for a Good Childcare Centre

Post by kittysocks » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 am

In any childcare that you are considering, safety is of utmost importance. Do a safety audit of the entire environment including the classroom. I posted about a bad accident that happened to my girl's finger to warn parents out there in the following link. You must ensure that all doors and windows have safety guards!

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=59502

superdaddy000
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by superdaddy000 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Any idea does the CC 5.5days off day entitlement include holidays like New Year Eve, X'mas Eve, Deepavali Eve & Hari Raya Puasa Eve, etc?

Paulyn Y
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Paulyn Y » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Dear parents, (especially FTWM),
just need your 2cents on this...

do u think that childcare provides enough support for you to leave your child and go to work in peace? do you have any backup in case the childcare centre rejects your child in the morning for suspicion of a certain disease?

why am i asking this? at the moment, i am a sahm. this morning while checking-in my son to daycare (he attends a half day session), the teacher spotted a tiny red dot on his left arm. there had been several cases of chicken pox in the centre and they are stepping up on their guards. my son had normal temperature and no other spots. the principal insist that she will not admit my son back into the centre until i get a doctor to certify that he is healthy. which i promptly did. i took my son to a nearby clinic (the doctor thought that it was ridiculous to come to that conclusion just because of a single tiny dot), and back again to school with the letter.

later in the afternoon, after picking my son up from school, i bumped into another mom who thought that my son didn't attend school today. i told her what happened in the morning and she said the same thing happened to her.

now, i'm thinking of going back to work soon, but if the school keeps turning away my son for every minor signs, how am i to commit to my future employer? are all childcare centres like this? do you have a backup (non-family)?

CKJlim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by CKJlim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:38 am

i think it is important that the school takes the initiative to inform parents of what they suspect.
my son's school does checks 3-4 times and they are strict on the health policies at the centre.
but what i like is that, the teachers too know they are not doctors,if they do suspect, they will call me and let me know while monitoring.
if the diseases becomes worst, i am advised to come down to pick my child immediately. unless serious case, i need to rush down. these days diseases spread very fast, my son has got HFMD once and it was a torture for him. i rather not take the risk and certify my child first.

kennykee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by kennykee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:34 am

Good childcare centre means not only good childcare policy implemented, educator quality but also the environment. We do need learning tools in childcare center.

See this blog post for furnitures or tools that childcare center should have http://edupod.com.sg/blog/30/top-10-children-furniture-that-kindergartens-and-learning-centers-should-have/

Also on psychomotor skill learning? This blog post has some information about it http://edupod.com.sg/blog/7/improving-your-children-psychomotor-skills-through-interactive-tools/

Any opinion?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 am

Paulyn Y wrote:Dear parents, (especially FTWM),
just need your 2cents on this...

do u think that childcare provides enough support for you to leave your child and go to work in peace? do you have any backup in case the childcare centre rejects your child in the morning for suspicion of a certain disease?

why am i asking this? at the moment, i am a sahm. this morning while checking-in my son to daycare (he attends a half day session), the teacher spotted a tiny red dot on his left arm. there had been several cases of chicken pox in the centre and they are stepping up on their guards. my son had normal temperature and no other spots. the principal insist that she will not admit my son back into the centre until i get a doctor to certify that he is healthy. which i promptly did. i took my son to a nearby clinic (the doctor thought that it was ridiculous to come to that conclusion just because of a single tiny dot), and back again to school with the letter.

later in the afternoon, after picking my son up from school, i bumped into another mom who thought that my son didn't attend school today. i told her what happened in the morning and she said the same thing happened to her.

now, i'm thinking of going back to work soon, but if the school keeps turning away my son for every minor signs, how am i to commit to my future employer? are all childcare centres like this? do you have a backup (non-family)?

Do you hv either side's parents (or sis, sis-in-law or aunties) to help? When my kid's got fever, chicken pox, or cc is closed for whatever reasons, I've my ILs as backup.

It's impt and nec for cc to take precautions. What if ur kid is not the one with the red dot? U certainly wish the red dotter's parents would keep the infected kid/suspected case at home to prevent spreading to others and inconveniencing their respective parents right? On that note, I think your cc was right to be very vigilant.

Working_Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Working_Mummy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:33 am

Can any parent share their experiences with after school care at Ananias Centre or Little Professors Clementi?

janicekwek
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by janicekwek » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Hihi,

I just received a letter from my boy ccc that they are stopping milk intake in school.

My boy is just turn 3... Is it the norm for cc to stop or was mine just being lazy?

He is in full day cc...

Kindly advise.

Thanks

stressed_up mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by stressed_up mum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 am

Hi my girl is in pcf sparkletots n they too stop milk intake when she is in N1. Its ok for mi since they hv tea break. Just feed them milk in e morn n nite before they slp.

however I hv concern wif this cc. It was newly setup last year but to date they hv changed 4 principals. I always see new n young teachers ard n mostly dun recognise them. Every week when my girl shows mi her work, I realise e teachers r always teaching them to write e same things. I am hesitating to change e cc cos this is near my hse n easy for my mil to pick her up but im really worried abt e curriculum. ...seems they do nt hv a fixed curriculum as this sch is considered new. Haizz shd I talk to e new principal on my concerns first or shd I change her to another cc. Do u tink it helps if I talk to yhem abt e quality of their teachers n curriculum?

mummyof3B
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mummyof3B » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Hihi I was like you previously, choosing the most convenient cc at my office. It was also heavily subsidised. But as u said, the Ps keep changing and my kids did not seem to be doing much.

I think being new is no excuse for a poor curriculum.

I know of new startups - non big brands that actually do way better.

U might wanna speak to the P of the school or hunt around for an alternative.

My believe for my kids is that early education is super impt in building a confident child