Carpediem@Hilltop (YCK) or Learning Vision@Grassroot (YCK)

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Carpediem@Hilltop (YCK) or Learning Vision@Grassroot (YCK)

Postby GLEEYZ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Im very torn between CD@Hilltop or LV@Grassroot, have visited both and here's my view and dilemma:

CD@Hilltop
* Very nice open space and they do not always keep the aircon on
* Teachers seem nice and bubbly, they even try to play with my son during our visit there
x not sure how good is the teaching structure - MI
x new so no much reviews heard
x alot of mosquitoes

LV@Grassroot
* Children are all very very well mannered and calm
* prefer their teaching structure and zoophonics
* alot of good reviews
x teachers all seems so cold
x wholeday aircon except for some brief moments of outdoor activities

My son is 2 years old and is extremely shy, he goes to playgroup every weekend since he is 1year old and am still very reserved when in school (accompanied somemore).

He doesnt feed well, doesnt nap well and falls sick easily.
Last but not least, i think he is in the 'terrible two' phrase...

I wonder if it is really good to send him to school so that he can learn to feed and nap from his peers also our existing maid cant really discipline him (cos new) but then, would it be too much for his shy character.. sigh.. I cannot imagine how could he cope with strangers alone.

So i would really appreciate if parent can share their experiences with me and also please do shed some lights on the cc that i mentioned above. :?:

GLEEYZ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DesertWind » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi Gleeyz,
:wink:
If your child is very shy and he is so young only 2 yo, then I suggest you put him on half-day instead of full day first until he get use to it and like going to pre-school.

Are you a FTWM or SAHM? If you stay at home plus have a maid, then don't think you need to put your child for full day CC.

You must be staying around AMK? Me too and my boy is 3 yo.

I have checked out both the CCC you mentioned. At LV@Grassroots, basically no vacancy for us still in waiting list no call yet so can't help you on this.

As for CarpeDiem@Hilltop, visited during their open house but decided not to go for a CCC.

I have enrolled my DS to go for an established kindy next year.
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLEEYZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

helo Desertwind :wink:

Im a FTWM, I have a maid whom cant seem to be able to discipline him.

Yes, I planned to put him in the CCC for few hours only in the beginning until he can adapt. So hope he can adapt well at a comfortable pace...

GLEEYZ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby littlehelper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi it seems you are more concerned to let your kid learn to be more disciplined and independent?
If that is the case, i think you should put him into a school with smaller setting, not those "branded" schools as the teachers probably won't be able to attend to him and there will be ALOT of other kids.Even if they are not in the class, they will be in the school compound and it could be quite threathening.
I feel that schools with small settings are really nice and homely and the kids and the teachers seem to have a bond that the "branded" centers don't.
However, choosing a school with small setting not "branded" you need to be more careful try to go for more established one's tend to be better.
Eg YWCA, YMCA , PCS

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby DesertWind » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi littlehelper,

I agree that the smaller the setting the better for young children ie. below K1, K2. However, it is not easy to find one with small settings or the fees are exorbitant! I checked out YMCA-AMK but no vacancies at all. Perhaps it is just my DS' year of the golden-pig with this vacancy problem.

Even Patschoolhouse I thought used to have small class size is now about 20-24 per class. Its no point paying above SGD1,000 for large class size!

BTW, what does "PCS" stands for?

littlehelper wrote: .......i think you should put him into a school with smaller setting, not those "branded" schools as the teachers probably won't be able to attend to him and there will be ALOT of other kids. ....However, choosing a school with small setting not "branded" you need to be more careful try to go for more established one's tend to be better.
Eg YWCA, YMCA , PCS

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DesertWind » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Gleeyz,

You son is probably going through the "terrible two" stage plus its a fact that maids will give in to the kid. He should out-grow this nearing 3 yo!

Also, please do observe how he is doing at the CCC. He must be happy after settling in and learning things. If not, please do not hesitate to pull him out if he is not happy or find the CCC boring. If a kid is terribly bored at such a young age in the CCC, it will affect his development. I am speaking from my own experience with my DS.

Cheers!
Desertwind

GLEEYZ wrote:helo Desertwind :wink:

Im a FTWM, I have a maid whom cant seem to be able to discipline him.

Yes, I planned to put him in the CCC for few hours only in the beginning until he can adapt. So hope he can adapt well at a comfortable pace...

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby littlehelper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 pm

PCS stands for Presbyterian Community services.
I have visited some of their centers and am quite impressed with the simple but nice facilities.Teachers seem pretty caring and patient too.

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby GLEEYZ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your precious advice..

I have decided to send him to CP@Hilltop exactly because of all the advices..

They are new so not many students yet so my son can have get more attention (at least for now) plus what wow me was the school told me that they have zero HFMD case so far..

So i thought.. as long as he get to do some arts, learn ABC and 123 it should be sufficient.. what most importantly is he is well taken care off and he might get to learn good behaviour from other kids.

pray pray he can adapt well.... :pray:

GLEEYZ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pat_sor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi there,
Went to the carpe diem hilltop after reading your post. Wow! Luv e place! Agree wif regards to e mozzie too but bo bian, its in nature. At least they have all e mozzie traps all over. Sat in e class session n observed that e teachers r pretty experienced, except for 1 new child who's crying. Understand that the ratio is small 1:5 n e older ratio is very small too. That is very important to me cos been to many other ccc n their ratio is big, children rowdy n noisy. Teachers is most important in wat I look out for. Will drop by to place my 5 month old child on e waiting list as I saw a few cars there for enrolments too. :D

pat_sor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby GLEEYZ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:21 pm

oh, your child need to be on the wait list? cos I seems to be able to get a slot for my 2 year old...

Anyway.. I will send my son in after the HFMD period is over and will post reviews here..

GLEEYZ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care