Suitable age to enroll child to preschool?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Suitable age to enroll child to preschool?

Postby agnesost » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi all,

What is the suitable age to enroll child into preschool? I intend to enroll my 15-month old son into 5-day week, half day program on next year January.

Do you think it is early? My mother-in-law is strongly disagree with my decision and mentioned that he should start the program probably at the age of 2.

Appreciate of your feedback soon.

Thank you.

Agnes

agnesost
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mintcc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:02 pm

it depends who you ask...

my pediatrician will says 4 years old and some educators says that enrolling kids too early is not beneficial. I myself enroll my kid in a full day program since 1 year old though.

Ultimately there are pros and cons and we need to weigh the family environment/care giver. Some things to consider: if the kid does not go to preschool, is the environment good for him picking up skills, learning social skills, with things/people to simulate his development? Does your current care giver work well with you in the care and upbringing of the child?

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Cartoon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Agnes

It really depends solely on you.

I let my kids attend 5 day class (2 hrs daily) when they reach the playgroup age like 30 mths. Personally feel more comfortable at this pace. i find this not too much for the kids too.

cheers

Cartoon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Suitable age to enroll child to preschool?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:47 pm

agnesost wrote:...What is the suitable age to enroll child into preschool?...

Before I was a parent, I thought parents who send young kids to infant or child care are simply bochap and cruel. Now I think those who don't do so are depriving their children the opportunity to have fun while learning critical and life-long interpersonal skills.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:55 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Before I was a parent, I thought parents who send young kids to infant or child care are simply bochap and cruel. Now I think those who don't do so are depriving their children the opportunity to have fun while learning critical and life-long interpersonal skills.

Chief, you may probably boot me out for saying this :) but I need to qualify that and put some context to this on the depriving part. Things have evolved over time. Childcare/early preschool was set up to help working parents able to return to work with their kids taken care of on a mass basis. It did not start so well initially as most care givers were not as qualified and homecare was certainly still the best. However, with stiff competition amongst the centres, more values were added into the package to lure parents to choose one centre over another. Also parents who sent kids to cc are never cruel nor bochap becos they DO NOT have a choice then and now for some! Now preschool has so many patterns to learning that even though there is homecare option, some may choose to send them to cc. Honestly, I believe most of us parents are home-cared kids in our generation, do we have lesser critical and life-long interpersonal skills? In fact we were very good at unstructured play and probably learned creativity in a different way in a world where toys were scarce. So homecare kids are not deprived of having fun and if family is big....they still pick up the critical and interpersonal skills...in fact even more deepset skills especially if there is a huge extended family behind it like 家春秋 where there are adults involved.

But I do agree on one point though....send if your kid sees fun in it.

Postby mintcc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 am

hianz, unfortunately most families are not big now adays. Lots of home care kids end get more TV time than is good for them when they stay with grandparents and no body to really play with.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:14 am

ks2me wrote:...Things have evolved over time. Childcare/early preschool was set up to help working parents able to return to work with their kids taken care of on a mass basis. It did not start so well initially as most care givers were not as qualified and homecare was certainly still the best. However, with stiff competition amongst the centres, more values were added into the package to lure parents to choose one centre over another. Also parents who sent kids to cc are never cruel nor bochap becos they DO NOT have a choice then and now for some! Now preschool has so many patterns to learning that even though there is homecare option, some may choose to send them to cc. Honestly, I believe most of us parents are home-cared kids in our generation, do we have lesser critical and life-long interpersonal skills? In fact we were very good at unstructured play and probably learned creativity in a different way in a world where toys were scarce. So homecare kids are not deprived of having fun and if family is big....they still pick up the critical and interpersonal skills...in fact even more deepset skills especially if there is a huge extended family behind it like 家春秋 where there are adults involved...

Hi ks2me, that is well put! I did forget that I was "home-preschooled" myself. In fact, I remember more time spent outside my house with my neighbourhood friends than inside. They were mostly Malay so I understand Malay even up to now.

However, with dual-income families being the norm these days, we parents tend to be a lot more protective of our kids (to make up for loss of time spent with them) and they stay at home most of the time. Unless they are part of the extended family, most children probably only get to interact with their siblings. Under such context, preschools become an important part of bringing children to play together.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby winth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi,

My first boy was sent into preschool at the age of 2.5 when I noticed him 'rolling his head around' (literally). Before childcare, he was taken care of by my mother. My second boy was sent in when he hit 18 months.

It was the correct decision for my second boy when I noticed the change in him. He is compatively more active than his elder brother and he fears no-one, center of attraction in the family plus highly possessive with his things.

When I brought him to childcare, I feared that it was too early too. After just a few days of leaving him in the childcare, there is a change in him. He takes in instructions, is able to put his shoes into the shoe rack, came home tired (too engaged during school, I guess) plus got lots of baby actions to show us (think he was trying to tell us what he learnt in school).

But I must say that the childcare teachers in his class are very experienced and highly patient with him. They are fierce and they punish wrong-doers (very important factor), at the same time, they are very pro-children and nice.

So, I would say 18-20 months would seem good, but highly dependent on individual child.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mom2boys » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm

somehow I agreed to what winth has said. I have tried to place my elder son to childcare when he was 19mths old..due to the frequency of falling sick, pulled him out and spend the rest of his idle time with the grandma till 3plus before we transferred him out from kindy to CC. From what I've observed, my elder son is more timid towards the same age group, terrified to go to school especially after a long weekend or MCs...took at least about 6mths to get used to it.

so decided to place my younger one to the same CC when he hits 18mths. to learn to be more fearless and independant. of course the pros, will be after becoming to be fearless, they tends to argue more with the parents :oops:

mom2boys
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:11 pm

mom2boys wrote:I have tried to place my elder son to childcare when he was 19mths old..due to the frequency of falling sick, pulled him out and spend the rest of his idle time with the grandma till 3plus before we transferred him out from kindy to CC. From what I've observed, my elder son is more timid towards the same age group, terrified to go to school especially after a long weekend or MCs...took at least about 6mths to get used to it.

the older the kid, the longer he/she needs to adapt to the environment. but the good thing is that the older kid can communicate more with the parents on what is happening in school.
after some bad experience with an enrichment centre, a 2-day stint at a childcare (i was horrifed at how kids have to undergo such 'training' at such a young age...the taunting of older kids at those younger ones suffering from separation anxiety...that the teacher cannot afford to give more hugs to very young kids, especially crying ones, as there are a few to take care, ie no time, and that they have to 'act professionally' and establish an image of authority etc), my elder boy spent his time with his grandparents until he is enrolled into Nursery at 4 yrs old. After 3 months adjustment period (cries, screams, tantrum etc), he enjoys school very much now and is one of the more vocal, sociable, enthusiastic and wellbehaved boys in class.

don't worry about starting your kid late if you can afford a good environment at home for the kids to pick up stuff such as good manners, behaviour, morals. and if you have to start your kid early, by all means go ahead. just need to monitor that the school that you selected is conducive and good, else the damage is very difficult to undo.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care