Surprise call from teacher who left

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Postby luvmum » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:01 am

I received a surprise call from my DD CC form teacher who left abruptly this year. She told me the real reason for her leaving which obviously does not coincide with what the school tells me. She also shares a lot of hidden agenda within the school. This teacher has been teaching my child for abt 9 mths before leaving suddenly and we parents only notified 2-3 days b4hand. She has been quite a good teacher and I intend to believe on what she said. But just pondering why would she want to call parents when her reputation might be affected if we tell the school right.

What do KS mummies think?

It really caught me off the guard... :oops:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CalMat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Oh dear... I would be caught off guard too!

Can think of 2 reasons...
a) She sees the need to tell the parents the 'truth' cos she feels that the CC is unscrupulous, etc.. and she sees the need for parents to know the type of environment their children are in and the type of management they are dealing with. (note I used inverted commas for 'truth' cos we really won't know what is the truth until this teacher's comments are verified) Or maybe precisely her reputation is at stake and that's why she's calling parents so that she can tell her side of the story.

b) She is holding a grudge and this is her way of getting back at the school.

If her comments has something to do with how your child is treated in school, etc and it's something negative.. then I guess you have to check and verify it... cos it affects your child.

But if it's just something personal between the CC and the teacher, and your child is happy and nothing bad is happening to the children... maybe just be a listening ear to the teacher..

CalMat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 pm

CalMat wrote:...Can think of 2 reasons...
a) She sees the need to tell the parents the 'truth'... or ...
b) She is holding a grudge and this is her way of getting back at the school...

CalMat, well put! In such a situation, we need to do a bit of investigation OURSELVES. The point is not to find out who is right and who is wrong, but to ensure that the service remains a safe and conducive place for our children.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby luvmum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:16 am

i really dun hv much concern over my gal stay with the centre cos she is always so happy going to school and teachers remain that cordial whenever we pick her home. But Of course I do recognise that what parents alw get to see is the rosy pic but the surprise call from the former teacher just led me with another opinion towards other teachers which she mentioned are not that caring afterall. :roll:

Nevertheless, we long have plans to withdraw her out by end of this year as she will be moving to Kindy environment. Just tat this call makes my move more affirmative. :oops:

Will be sad if things are really this way as my impression on the center has been good all the while. :(

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Surprise Call from Teacher who Left

Postby Parent » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:28 am

Hi luvmum,

I think CalMat has put things in perspective as to why your kid's ex-teacher left.

But from my experience, there are "alot" of things going on "behind-the-scene". Everything is not as "rosy" as what we see or thought. I am one of those parents that go visit my kid almost daily during lunch-time and I can see many lapses and unprofessional conduct, whether pertaining to the children's well-being or enrichment classes or administration. This has gone to a point that I am viewed as an "unwelcome" figure.

Unfortunately, alot of childcare centres are like that and how many can we change?.....................sigh!!

Anyway, we should remain vigilant and speak to our kids daily. This can throw up alot of "surprises" although the kids are "generally" well taken care of. We should also not be afraid to bring up any shortcomings to the person-in-charge as this will put them on their toes and ensure proper service quality are administered.

Parent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby luvmum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Guess parents need to open one eye, close one eye at times too, too demanding teachers oso dun like. The CC will not allow us to peep in every lunch and if my girl saw me, she will want to follow me back.

But I believed in talking with my girl. Recently when I picked her back from school one day, she told me that day during napping, raindrop seeps on her face as the windows weren't shut well. I asked her why din she tell teachers abt it. Her reply : 'Teachers say naptime no talking' :roll: :shock: :oops:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:36 pm

insider wrote:...In every centre, there are some 'black spots' coz no centres can be perfect. As long as these black spots are not detrimental to children's devt in a serious way, parents may have to close one eye...

Super advice for all of us. Thanks!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Teacher leaving abruptly even in top Kindergartens

Postby cornucopia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:55 pm

:roll: This is a common sight in 'NYK' too.. Sometimes it can't be help..Schools can seriously be extremely political just that parents like us don't get to see it.. :roll:
Last edited by cornucopia on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

cornucopia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kwcllf » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:25 pm

When parents like us see the lapses and pointed out to them, the childcare centre gets "personal", treating us as an enemy................to the extent of being detrimental to kids.

There is also a principle who blabbers without knowing the consequence....... which indicates her professional conduct and competency.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care