Corporal punishments in pre-schools

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Corporal punishments in pre-schools

Postby SPIES » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:29 pm

What does corporal punishments includes?

If a teacher uses 'stick' made from rolled up papers to 'gently' hit the students butt, is it considered corporal punishment?

If a teacher punishes a student by asking him/her to squat down & stand up continuously, is it considered corporal punishment?

SPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SPIES » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:34 pm

And how about if a kid is disobedient, he is barred from attending the next session. eg, next session is music class, so he cannot attend the class. instead, he is asked to 'sit in' another class (of lower level) as punishment.

Do you think this is acceptable?

SPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Never heard of such punishments for preschoolers in preschools.

The most my boy was punished was to stand at the corner of the classroom (but he could still listen and see what the teacher is teaching) for 5 minutes, made to apologise and he's back to join the class after that. & the teacher did SMS me about it and wrote in his notebook about the incident (what he did to warrant that punishment).

His teachers are very stern right from the beginning, 'do's and 'don't's are clearly spelt out to the kids and they seldom misbehave.

If the school is using such punishments on all the kids, then parents need to feedback to the Principal and MCYS. If only your child is targetted, it's best to find out the reason (the exact actions). If the teacher has problems managing your child and you think that you might not be able to talk to him about it (for him to understand why he's wrong and need to change his behaviour), then it is best to bring him to see a behavioural therapist. The earlier this problem is addressed, the faster you will see improvements in his behaviour and possibly his learning (if it is affected by him misbehaving and missing classes).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SPIES » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:28 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Never heard of such punishments for preschoolers in preschools.

The most my boy was punished was to stand at the corner of the classroom (but he could still listen and see what the teacher is teaching) for 5 minutes, made to apologise and he's back to join the class after that. & the teacher did SMS me about it and wrote in his notebook about the incident (what he did to warrant that punishment).

His teachers are very stern right from the beginning, 'do's and 'don't's are clearly spelt out to the kids and they seldom misbehave.

If the school is using such punishments on all the kids, then parents need to feedback to the Principal and MCYS. If only your child is targetted, it's best to find out the reason (the exact actions). If the teacher has problems managing your child and you think that you might not be able to talk to him about it (for him to understand why he's wrong and need to change his behaviour), then it is best to bring him to see a behavioural therapist. The earlier this problem is addressed, the faster you will see improvements in his behaviour and possibly his learning (if it is affected by him misbehaving and missing classes).

Actually is the school having problem. his class already change like 5-6 teachers. So every teacher use different methods. The barred from attending class is done by previous teacher. i happened to be early to pick him up then saw the classmates coming back from another class so i asked him after school wat happened. then i went to ask the teacher. at that instant, i did not find anything wrong. but now thinking about it, seems not right that he be barred for whole lesson.

The paper roll thing I'm not sure yet. Jus happened to see his teacher holding it and hit the white board. After school I asked my son if the teacher used it to hit them and he said yes. But i'm not sure how true. gotta monitor. But jus wanna know if this is acceptable?

SPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Not acceptable at all.
If they want to use 'time out', they can do so with the child in the same class but not able to participate (at least still get to listen and see what is going on). And it usually does not last that long (whole lesson).

Have you spoken to the other children/parents about it?

If you are unsure because your son is unable to give you a vivid description, you might want to consider a hidden camera.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fattysuperfamily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 pm

cant accept my boy to be punished in such a way...no reasons for them to do so...what they can do is to feedback to us parents instead of taking the punishing tasks in their own hands...teachers may not be right all the time right? who knows she is in a bad mood etc???

Dont think primary school teachers nowadays punish students like this...sure get repercussions from parents!

fattysuperfamily
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pampers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 am

My son 2.5yrs old, told me the teacher hit him. Showed to me how she hit and where. Mind u, we always ask him about his day. Child that young do not know how to lie. The thing that made me angry, the school denied it even when my son can pin point who hit him and clearly they lied since they keep changing their story!! Kids so young got treated that way bcos the teacher think they won't be able to tell! It is unacceptable to hit a child! :x

pampers
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby keenDaddy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:04 pm

pampers wrote:My son 2.5yrs old, told me the teacher hit him. Showed to me how she hit and where. Mind u, we always ask him about his day. Child that young do not know how to lie. The thing that made me angry, the school denied it even when my son can pin point who hit him and clearly they lied since they keep changing their story!! Kids so young got treated that way bcos the teacher think they won't be able to tell! It is unacceptable to hit a child! :x

If you no longer trust the school, guess it is time to move on....

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby keenDaddy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:05 pm

pampers wrote:My son 2.5yrs old, told me the teacher hit him. Showed to me how she hit and where. Mind u, we always ask him about his day. Child that young do not know how to lie. The thing that made me angry, the school denied it even when my son can pin point who hit him and clearly they lied since they keep changing their story!! Kids so young got treated that way bcos the teacher think they won't be able to tell! It is unacceptable to hit a child! :x

If you no longer trust the school, guess it is time to move on....

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happydaddy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 pm

teacher change 5-6 times?

it cuold be the student difficult to handle till the teacher give up. or the centre no $$ to pay for good teacher. Then i advise you to change school.

is yr kid one of the monkey? then that explain why the teacher change so many times.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care