baby died in childcare

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

baby died in childcare

Postby happydaddy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:40 pm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 69/1/.html

sad..... the child care negligent? teacher not first aid train? hai...

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby spring84 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Oh dear...feel sad for the parents and for the toddler.
All I could say is don't take things for granted. Even though the child is taking nap, adults still have to keep a lookout.
Hmm... is it sudden death syndrome? How can a child just die suddenly?

spring84
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:10 pm

They already found the toddler not breathing, doubt they had to administer first aid at all. One thing to note is that the mattresses they use are those waterproof type, which means that if kids sleep face down, they might suffocate (that's why I insisted with my boy's previous CCC that he must sleep face up).

The teacher who discovered the child must be very shocked and upset right now too. Imagine if you are suppose to look after other people's kid and the poor kid died in the sleep under your watch.

I hope the family is moving on.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CatTy 007 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Goodness.. This is really tragic. My condolences to the family. Please be strong.

CatTy 007
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby spring84 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:They already found the toddler not breathing, doubt they had to administer first aid at all. One thing to note is that the mattresses they use are those waterproof type, which means that if kids sleep face down, they might suffocate (that's why I insisted with my boy's previous CCC that he must sleep face up).

Maybe it is too late to administer first aid. There are many possibilities of why the toddler died during nap. Or perhaps the toddler was not feeling well beforehand or had an heart attack.

Perhaps we have to be alert (be it parents or teachers). I believe the touch with the child. Sometimes we just have the sixth sense that the child is not feeling well. It is a personal and special touch... can't be taught.

And no point spilling over spilled milk as no matter what we do now, we can't bring the child back to life.

Preschool teachers' roles are important as they are dealing with a living young life. They need to have a special touch towards the young ones. It is not just getting the salary at the end of the day.

I hope everyone learns from this incident. No point blaming anyone.

spring84
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bolster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 pm

somebody has to take the blame. Unless the parents absorb it.

1. Health screening... if the baby is soooo sick.... dun tell me health screening the teacher did not observe anything? or the teacher too bo chap?

2. Is the class big? Not enough teacher?

3. During nap time? what is the teacher doing? sleeping too? or not enough teacher to observe the kids...

4. The teacher no experience or the centre anyhow engage people to teach?

5. The teacher got the necessary qualification?

6. whole morning did not notice the kid behaving abnormal?

Most likely, the centre will be sued by the parents. Even if the parents very forgiving, the insurance still need to find out the truth, and shift the blame to the CC for any lapse... it could be the teacher do not like the kid and suffocate him? you never know.

Even if the centre win the case, their reputation will be tarnish for not giving the basic care to the kids, that is to protect the child.

MCYS should check on the centre, do they meet the requirement.

somebody head has to roll....

bolster
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby keenDaddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:12 am

it is really unfortunate, must be painstaking for the parents. i sympathises with the family.
guess no point speculating the cause. maybe the coroner's inquiry will provide some answers later. if there is no negligence involved e.g. some medical conditions with the child, then it may happen anywhere, even at home.

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vicki » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 am

Until the forensic results are out, i thinkly it is not fair to say that "somebody has to take the blame".

I mean a healthy adult can also suddenly die - naturally - and post chkg, found out that there are actually probs with their heart/ internal organs etc. I remember reading the papers b4 on such cases.

But, whatsoever, my condolesences to the family.

vicki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am

vicki wrote:Until the forensic results are out, i thinkly it is not fair to say that "somebody has to take the blame".

I mean a healthy adult can also suddenly die - naturally - and post chkg, found out that there are actually probs with their heart/ internal organs etc. I remember reading the papers b4 on such cases.

But, whatsoever, my condolesences to the family.

Agree. Imagine the teacher's shock too.
I'm sure they would have developed feelings for a child they've been taking care of also.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby merlionkid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:37 am

hi
at this point of time, I think there could be thousand and one areas that could possibly went undetected.
I am sure there are already investigations on-going. I hope the findings will be published and brought to light.
It will be a valuable lesson for the rest.

My condolesences to the family.

merlionkid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care