Advice Needed - Church School or PAP hdb void deck ?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Advice Needed - Church School or PAP hdb void deck ?

Postby kejiasg » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:06 pm

hi mummies n daddies , i need advice . my girl 2008 baby , turned 2 year old . now have to consider kindergarten for N1 . Stay Tiong Bahru , thinking should i let her enroll Church school (need to travel school bus ) start N1 in 2011 or enroll P.A.P void deck kindergarten (walking distance) start 2012 ?


some parents said schools at void deck teaching quite limited . Sigh ....

kejiasg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby meiah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi, I also have the same problem like you. My gal also going to N1 next year and also my dilemma is between taking a school bus to church kindy or walking to pap at the next block.

In the end, I think we will send her to the church kindy because:
1. the school grounds are nicer
2. gates locked
3. feel more like a school
4. we found out a neighbour also registered their gal at the kindy so that mean my gal has an instant friend!
5. a big hall for PE!
6. water play, sandbox and mini playground indoors
7. and yes, a general office to enquire, complain, whatever without disturbing the kids lessons.

We are not so particular about academics and so we didn't really ask what the church kindy will teach, but we would like her to learn social skills, cooperation and independence.

Initially, we felt that PAP should be ok since it's so near and we will save on bus fare but one day, my dd went to play with the kids at the playground near my house. She enjoyed herself thoroughly but our concern was that anyone can play with these kids. Another thing was it seems that these kids only get outdoor play once a week, so it may mean that they get coop up somewhere for the other 4 days? Kind of sad even though I didn't really like their idea of outdoor play.

My MIL is pro-PAP kindy cos it's really near but after she found out that other kids in my block also go to the church kindy, she kind of like changed her mind.

Since your gal is same age as mine, have you registered anywhere already? Cos registration dunno got vacancy now. PAP registration takes place in around may so must take note. Church kindys also register quite early.

If you like can also register for N1 at church kindy for 2011 and then switch to PAP at 2012? :D

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Advice Needed - Church School or PAP hdb void deck ?

Postby atfc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:26 pm

kejiasg wrote:hi mummies n daddies , i need advice . my girl 2008 baby , turned 2 year old . now have to consider kindergarten for N1 . Stay Tiong Bahru , thinking should i let her enroll Church school (need to travel school bus ) start N1 in 2011 or enroll P.A.P void deck kindergarten (walking distance) start 2012 ?


some parents said schools at void deck teaching quite limited . Sigh ....


hi, you can try out this preschool called stamford little geniuses in bugis. they are giving out free for the 1st month for new-comers.

my girl is studying there right now and its not bad. their teachers are very nice and caring. since its free, might as well try it out and see whether its suitable for your kid :)

atfc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby kejiasg » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:06 pm

meiah wrote:Hi, I also have the same problem like you. My gal also going to N1 next year and also my dilemma is between taking a school bus to church kindy or walking to pap at the next block.

In the end, I think we will send her to the church kindy because:
1. the school grounds are nicer
2. gates locked
3. feel more like a school
4. we found out a neighbour also registered their gal at the kindy so that mean my gal has an instant friend!
5. a big hall for PE!
6. water play, sandbox and mini playground indoors
7. and yes, a general office to enquire, complain, whatever without disturbing the kids lessons.

We are not so particular about academics and so we didn't really ask what the church kindy will teach, but we would like her to learn social skills, cooperation and independence.

Initially, we felt that PAP should be ok since it's so near and we will save on bus fare but one day, my dd went to play with the kids at the playground near my house. She enjoyed herself thoroughly but our concern was that anyone can play with these kids. Another thing was it seems that these kids only get outdoor play once a week, so it may mean that they get coop up somewhere for the other 4 days? Kind of sad even though I didn't really like their idea of outdoor play.

My MIL is pro-PAP kindy cos it's really near but after she found out that other kids in my block also go to the church kindy, she kind of like changed her mind.

Since your gal is same age as mine, have you registered anywhere already? Cos registration dunno got vacancy now. PAP registration takes place in around may so must take note. Church kindys also register quite early.

If you like can also register for N1 at church kindy for 2011 and then switch to PAP at 2012? :D



thia is what i thought so too. PAP is near my place walking distance can start in 2012, so maybe i register her for church school for 2011 (if i can get in) .
then i try to register for Apple tree 2011 playgroup too . still on waiting list .
i had to enrol 2011 school for her
Actually i heard from many parents that PAP is very structured , strict on teaching too. so i guess no harm sending her in 2012 .
where u staying, i staying in tiong bahru .

kejiasg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Advice Needed - Church School or PAP hdb void deck ?

Postby kejiasg » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 pm

hi, you can try out this preschool called stamford little geniuses in bugis. they are giving out free for the 1st month for new-comers.

my girl is studying there right now and its not bad. their teachers are very nice and caring. since its free, might as well try it out and see whether its suitable for your kid :)[/quote]

hi, thanks for yr advise , but bugis is not so convienient for us to go . i am not driving too

kejiasg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby meiah » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm

kejiasg wrote:
thia is what i thought so too. PAP is near my place walking distance can start in 2012, so maybe i register her for church school for 2011 (if i can get in) .
then i try to register for Apple tree 2011 playgroup too . still on waiting list .
i had to enrol 2011 school for her
Actually i heard from many parents that PAP is very structured , strict on teaching too. so i guess no harm sending her in 2012 .
where u staying, i staying in tiong bahru .


Me in toa payoh. I guess PAP standards will differ from centre to centre and from teacher to teacher. But work wise, I know it can be quite tough. My fren's gal in PAP K1 has to write tough chinese words like gu tou (bone), etc...

As for as P1 is concern, dunno from 2014 or 2015, no more exams for p1 and p2. Testing will all be formative type. So not sure if being so structured has any benefit for p1 when the time comes.

Mmm.. apple tree is quite popular it seems. Which church kindy would u be looking at?

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby i3mum » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Do you have anyone helping you in sending your child to school? I believe church kindy will be more expensive, in terms of school fees. If your child need school bus, you have to consider about the bus fees. During school holiday, you will need to pay too.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:07 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care