Preschool Curriculum

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Re: Preschool Curriculum

Post by buds » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am

Yes indeed some children do read around 3 to 3.5 years old like my girls, but subject to variation of home stimuli, knowledge and time/effort of caregivers.

aloyboy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by aloyboy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:09 pm

My kid child care recently changed hand from a big franchise to a unknown.

First day of the "new" school, the register changed, I saw Nursery and PG2 namelist combined to 1 list, and K1 and K2 combined as well.

Feeling uneasy, on 2nd day I asked why are they combined ? Are they really going to combined the kids in 1 class ? I was told they have plan but still pending discussion with the teachers ... it was so shocking for me !

Nursery and PG2 I could probably unwillingly accept it but K1 and K2 combined learning the same things ??? I have never heard of.

Anyone know of any child care / Kindergarten do such ? K1 and K2 combined in 1 class.. I am so upset and worried if they even have any curriculum set.

The director did not give me a good impression as well, look more like a hawker than a educator ! He could answer my question confidently. Even my son came home first day and say "there's a new UNCLE in school..." sighz ...

the teachers are nice and have been there since DS joined in 2009 .... sad if i have to change school

blrmmy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by blrmmy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Just wondering, besides Phonics, what are the other most common or important courses that all the mommies and daddies here have sent their 5 years old?

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Re:

Post by sembgal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 am

SPIES wrote:Anyone know the curriculum of living sanctuary kindergarten?

The Chinese standard is comparable to 天下.

XK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Re:

Post by XK » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 am

sembgal wrote:

Hi, may I know whether berries or tian Hsia has a higher std?

Thx

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Re: Re:

Post by sembgal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:55 pm

XK wrote:
sembgal wrote:

Hi, may I know whether berries or tian Hsia has a higher std?

Thx

You have to check if the teacher is a current preschool teacher who works part time or a full time one at that centre. Personally, I prefer current preschool teacher who works part time. Look at the centre's worksheets, vocabulary words taught, type of furniture used, toilet accessible easily and other smaller details like the accent of the teacher whom the child can relate to. 天下has open house end of every term for parents to witness the songs and rhymes learnt by the children. I feel 天下is more structured and Berries is more fun. Lastly, it is important that parents revise the lesson content with the child at home for reinforcement.

iLoveChubby
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by iLoveChubby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 pm

blrmmy wrote:Just wondering, besides Phonics, what are the other most common or important courses that all the mommies and daddies here have sent their 5 years old?

I would say perhaps Chinese enrichmt classes (eg berries/TH etc) as I personally am q impressed on how these schools can turn the once-boring subject to many into something so enjoyable to the young now. Esp to kids who speak EL all the time, it is not so easy to instill the love of the CL language in them.

As for Maths, MPM/CMA/Kumon are among the popular ones altho most of them stop attending these classes and switch to Maths tuition classes once they hit P1.

However..what is deemed "important" to one parent may be "unnecesary" to another. :smile:
E.g. for a kid who reads extensively .... or your kid's cc/kindy is doing the job just fine... or you can afford the time/effort to teach him/her at home ... he/she may not even need to attend any enrichments.
So it really depends on what you think your kid needs. :smile:

blrmmy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by blrmmy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 pm

iLoveChubby wrote:
blrmmy wrote:Just wondering, besides Phonics, what are the other most common or important courses that all the mommies and daddies here have sent their 5 years old?

I would say perhaps Chinese enrichmt classes (eg berries/TH etc) as I personally am q impressed on how these schools can turn the once-boring subject to many into something so enjoyable to the young now. Esp to kids who speak EL all the time, it is not so easy to instill the love of the CL language in them.

As for Maths, MPM/CMA/Kumon are among the popular ones altho most of them stop attending these classes and switch to Maths tuition classes once they hit P1.

However..what is deemed "important" to one parent may be "unnecesary" to another. :smile:
E.g. for a kid who reads extensively .... or your kid's cc/kindy is doing the job just fine... or you can afford the time/effort to teach him/her at home ... he/she may not even need to attend any enrichments.

ILoveChubby, thank you for the advises. I am trying to find out more to see if it is necessary to put my 5 years old child in some of the enrichment courses since mine is idling and playing at home only and not attending any school or childcare. Am trying to see if it is good enough to just find him a half day preschool or kindergarten to attend or put him in some courses without attending any school or kindergarten. Any advises or recommendation? Thank you.

iLoveChubby
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by iLoveChubby » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:48 pm

blrmmy wrote:
iLoveChubby wrote:

ILoveChubby, thank you for the advises. I am trying to find out more to see if it is necessary to put my 5 years old child in some of the enrichment courses since mine is idling and playing at home only and not attending any school or childcare. Am trying to see if it is good enough to just find him a half day preschool or kindergarten to attend or put him in some courses without attending any school or kindergarten. Any advises or recommendation? Thank you.

Curious.. why isnt he attending any kindy now?.. Are you teaching him at home?...
Personally I still thk kindy is essential for them.. besides the academic aspects, it will be good for them to learn some social skills and how to interact with their peers.
You may wish to check out the kindys around your area or can read up the threads on kindys/CCs for comments of your interested preschools.

Enrichment classes are normally only once a week, may not be sufficient for build up the basics, unless you are actively "home-schooling" him at home with the right resources/materials.

Chatwoman
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Chatwoman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Curious.. why isnt he attending any kindy now?.. Are you teaching him at home?...
Personally I still thk kindy is essential for them.. besides the academic aspects, it will be good for them to learn some social skills and how to interact with their peers.
You may wish to check out the kindys around your area or can read up the threads on kindys/CCs for comments of your interested preschools.

Enrichment classes are normally only once a week, may not be sufficient for build up the basics, unless you are actively "home-schooling" him at home with the right resources/materials.

Hi! Just chanced upon this thread and thought of sharing my experience of struggling to improve my dd's Chinese. Heard that Berries are more fun and more play-based than Tian Xia so wanted her to go and have fun while learning Chinese. She was attending a church kindy and her chinese standard was very poor. The first few months at Berries was very good as the teacher was gentle with young children and engaging. However after the teacher went on maternity leave, there was a change of teacher, it was still ok initially but slowly her interest started to wane. I changed to another branch but it was even worse. So had to pull her out after 1 more year of dragging her to Berries every week. Feel my 2 years' worth of money and efforts totally wasted.

So I totally agree with ILoveChubby that once a week enrichment is not sufficient, especially when it comes to Chinese.

When she was in K1, I found this kindy with emphasis in Mandarin and transfered my dd there although it was a bit far and ex cos of their location. Then within 2 months, she could not just converse but read efficiently. Totally amazed by a simple change of environment.

Now I realize through her Chinese teacher that at this pre-school age, it is a golden age to learn more languages, when they won't differentiate Chinese lessons from English lessons as clearly as from Maths and languages. And if they can master their Chinese well now, they will not end up hating the subject in later years. Objective is for their primary school years to be smooth sailing so they can spend more time and energy on other subjects like Maths, which they pick up more easily in Primary school age than pre-school anyway. The kindy is not short changing on those essential subjects but just doesn't overload them with worksheets or teach them more than what is sufficient to be ready for P1.

Now my gal is in K2, reading di zi gui, tang shi, poems and getting quite a few chances to perform and boost her confidence in Chinese language. I think all this can't be done through regular enrichment centres. I must say I'm very glad to have made a decision early enough for her to get up to speed on her Chinese language cos she's going to a SAP school which is just opp my home. :xedfingers:

If only all preschools' curriculum can be adjusted to fit the child's developmental skills, rather than to fit parents and primary schools' expectations, learning won't be so stressful for both parents and children.

*P.S. Oh dear, dunno what I've done and the previous replies came up as quotes. Sorry still new here!*