Infant Care / Childcare

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Infant Care / Childcare

Postby Claudine Heng » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi, I am thinking of sending my boy to Infant care (he's 5 months old). Am staying at Old Airport Road - any good recommendation?

I am a first time mum , any advise what to look out when i send him to Infant Care?

Thanks so much

Claudine Heng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby littlehelper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 pm

If mountbatten is convenient for you, there is cherie hearts/little skool house and a few other premimum schools in that area.

Well i think most importantly is how the teachers treat the kids and also the cleanliness of the center.
For infants i think non-aircon better as germs won't spread as easily but most infant care centers are air-conditioned.
Do check out the center during 'awake hours" and see what the kids are like. If there are many of them crying/seeking attention and teachers cannot seem to cope don't put your child through it.(Of cos must see for yourself and determine for youself if the kid is new thats why she's crying)
Also i think that the teacher to child ratio is low. Even though MCYS states 1:5 i think its impossible!

All the best in finding a good infant care for your child :)
The growing up years are to be fun and memorable!

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Infant Care

Postby Claudine Heng » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks so much for your advice.

Yes, now that you mentioned, i think there is LittleSkoolhouse and Cherie Hearts. So it means i should go and visit the school a few times to see how the teachers handle the kids.

Honestly, it pains me to put my son through this. :(

Claudine Heng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasu-tweety » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 am

I do not recommend infants to leave parents' arms, especially mother, before they reach at least 18 mths old. Unless both parents need to work desperately, then there is no choice. My family Doc told me that for children who are between 6 mths old & up to 2 yrs old, their immune systems are the weakest during this period. The immune system that baby gets from mother when he/she is inside the womb, only lasts up to about 6 mths, starting from the day when they are bornt.

Child-care (from 18 mths old onwards) is fine, but for infant-care, mother is the best person to take care of her baby.

kiasu-tweety
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby littlehelper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep i agree.
But if you would like to look on the positive side, your child's immune system will be built up.And won't fall sick so easily next time.
However you must be prepared that the first 3 months or so will keep falling sick especially the first month.
That's why if possible find one small center with less kids.
I feel that some of the small centers are better than the BRANDED ones.
Although the curriculum/facilities may not be as great, i find that their teachers are more caring and they are more patient with the kids as there is less to handle(not so much pressure) also the kids will get more attention and will learn to behave properly.(The teachers have the time to ensure that discipline is enforced properly,the kids enjoy school cos they won't keep getting scolded once they know what's right and wrong)

Yep you can try peeping in if possible instead of making appointment.
Er, if you have the time, yeah sure you can visit a few times.
Go on different weeks so that you can see if there is some consistency/whether the new kid(if there is one) still crying as badly etc.
If so happen that some kids are fighting for toys when you visit, take note of how the teacher handles it and if they even notice!

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cadenza88 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:23 am

kiasu-tweety wrote:I do not recommend infants to leave parents' arms, especially mother, before they reach at least 18 mths old. Unless both parents need to work desperately...
Child-care (from 18 mths old onwards) is fine, but for infant-care, mother is the best person to take care of her baby.

I tend to agree that babies up to 18 months are best cared for by parents/grand parents. Apart from bonding and building immunity, Also cutest ... before the terrible two ...

Nevertheless, most of us are helpless .....

you may also want to pop by agape and carpe diem at kallang. both are new and clean. of course the infant teachers are as important if not more.

cadenza88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care