Half-day CC vs full-day CC

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Half-day CC vs full-day CC

Postby sean wife » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:42 pm

I am comtemplating to switch my gals from their current half-day childcare to nursery in a kindergarten next year. Main reason is that we were ‘advised’ by the school to switch them to full-day because part of the core curriculum may be extended into the afternoon if the teacher cannot complete in the morning. I guess from profitability point of view, the school will want to encourage all the kids to be on full-day since the afternoon slot will be empty anyway.

The main convenience to us comparing half-day childcare compared to kindergartens is that they do not close during the school holidays. Also if any of the caregiving arrangement in the afternoons (MIL + maid) falls through, we can convert them to full-day straightaway. However many will also agree that the cost difference between half day childcare and traditional kindergartens can be quite significant (for us, will be at least $600 for 2 kids…somemore childcare going to increase fees next year)….

Like to check with parents here….have any of your kids been on half-day childcare for say up to K2 level? Do you find that they lose out in core curriculum learning compared to the full day ones? Or did the centre highlighted anything to this effect? As much as possible, I would not want them to go full-day childcare, but also not compromise on their core learning…feel like kind of short-charged by this CC… :cry: :(

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Advocate for Half Day

Postby Okosbaba » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Though my son was in Full Day Care since 11 months, (big mistake on my part) I have withdrew him since August this year. He is still N1, however the savings that I have made allows me to spend it on enrichments more tailored to his learning style. Full day care (though very convenient espc. if no in-laws or parents / maid to help out) really is more about $$$ than teaching or learning.

Pro: Definitely more independent (cause they get ignored a lot) 12 kids one teacher ..
Con: If your child needs additional help in any subject, cannot provide lah cause no time... N1 only one hour per day is devoted to learning unless of course you pay extra for enrichment $$$$.

I regret not doing it sooner, that is withdrawing him. :cry: Infact if I could do it over again, I wouldn't have sent him in the first place. Having said that I do have strong home support from in-laws and a very good maid. :lol:

Okosbaba
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sean wife » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Okosbaba

Thanks for sharing....ya, having strong family support is really good and important, especially with more than 1 kid....but for me there is always the worries of what if the caregiver health deteriorates, what if the maid turns bad etc etc, many uncertainities...of course, we can still look for alternatives when that happens, but as we all know, those OK CCs all have long waiting list, including the one my kids are currently in...

Learning wise, I think the teaching style of the school makes a bigger difference than whether it's a CC or kindergarten setup. My kids' CC advocates learn-through-play (which seems to be the flavour of the generation), while the kindergarten which they are going to (if we eventually withdraws from the CC) is more traditional kind. I guess if the CC had not dropped us the hint, we would have continued with the half-day CC and forefeit the deposit we had paid for the kindergarten places early this year. My thinking was that when the kids get older and drop their nap eventually, we may put them in full day rather than spend the whole afternoon at home....

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby DesertWind » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi sean wife,

My 3 yo went for a half-day CCC for a few months but I will be switching him over to Nursery in a kindergarten next year. For me I do not need to use a CCC as I have a reliable maid at home to look after. As much as possible, I do not want my boy to stay full day in a CCC. Most CCCs have lessons in the morning, early afternoon nap and then evening enrichment classes, outdoor play, TV time then go home!

But I came across one CCC which I enquire as well that they only have FULL DAY CCC and not half-day. They used to have half-day (but I suppose found not so profitable) but recently converted to full-day CCC. They also cite the reasons that the morning hours are too short so it is more beneficial to have more lessons in the afternoon. However, I will say that for most afternoons, they have "outsourced" enrichment programs for which parents need to pay additional for kid to attend.

So for your CCC, I think the main reason is to encourage parents to put their kids for full day CCC. For most kindergarten going kids, I would say the additional hours are filled up with other types of enrichment lessons ie. Chinese, gym, ballet etc. so it is not exactly that kindy going kids will loose out. Some parents finds it more flexible this way.

Also, for CCC, you are paying for the extended hours so for half-day the fees covers from 7 am to 1 pm even though you may send in your kid only from 9 am onwards. But CCC has got government subsidy (more if you are a working mum) so fees may be same after subsidy compared to kindy.

My brother sent his 2 kids for full day CCC but that is because they need it as they do not have a maid. However, he said they learn a lot more and the girl pick up language a lot more than just staying at home.

At the end of the day, it all depends on you. What arrangement suits you more and what you want for your kids.
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keenDaddy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm

My view is to either go for a Kindy (non child-care) or go for Full-day CC and not attend half day session in a Full-day CC.

Kindy is focused to give u the academic intake which your child will need in the 3-4 hours session, minus the basic care like providing meals, showers etc. Non-subsidised.

Full-day CC (e right ones) provides both academic needs and caring needs. Full-day CC runs classes in e morning, but hv the flexibility of running additional ones in e afternoon if they cannot complete e curriculum. They will also running certain activities in e afternoon - such as celebrations (e.g. birthdays, festive-day such as national day, hari raya etc), play activities which do not eat into e normal lesson time. Half-day kids missed out some of e activities and e interaction components in e afternoon. Furthermore, cost-wise, after subsidies, half-day charges are quite comparable to full-day charges (full day subsidy = $300, double that of half day)

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby dimsum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:45 pm

If I have caregiver at home to look after my DS daily, my choice is definitely kindergarten. Half day CC (even after $150 subsidy) are much more expensive than kindy.

Do you know that for MOST full day CC, no lessons are conducted in the afternoon? You will have to pay more $$$ to sign up your kids for those enrichment classes run by external operators. If not, it's just free play among the kids. And from 5 to 5:30pm onwards, the kids will be watching TV.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keenDaddy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:08 pm

dimsum wrote:Do you know that for MOST full day CC, no lessons are conducted in the afternoon? You will have to pay more $$$ to sign up your kids for those enrichment classes run by external operators. If not, it's just free play among the kids. And from 5 to 5:30pm onwards, the kids will be watching TV.

Maybe too general a statement to make... 'cause especially for the old classes i.e. Nursery, K1 and K2, I do know of CCs that actually split some lessons between e morning and afternoon sessions 'though the afternoon session is normally shorter. The afternoon sessions r required 'cause sometimes e morning window is not exactly long for a CC as it also includes breakfast, assembly - kids need time to settle down, preparing for lunch, shower etc. Sometimes, it also include outdoor, water, sand or other activities. Hence for older classes, CC encourages full day session. At least, the CC which my kid attends operate in this manner.

Yes, it is true that there is also optional enrichment and most of them runs after 4pm. Nature of enrichment lessons shld be distinguishable, meaning it should not be things which r supposed to be covered by the normal curriculum.

Basically, not quite a apple-to-apple comparison when it comes to Kindy vs CC. Different 'cause CC emcompasses the child care part whereas Kindy focuses on delivering the academic part. Hence, depending on e parents' needs. Also, quality differs within the Kindies and also within the CCs. Hence, it is also not conclusive to say that Kindy can deliver more in terms of academic than CC or vice versa.

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care