Hygiene Practices in Childcare centers

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Hygiene Practices in Childcare centers

Postby loveKids » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:12 pm

I wonder if the kindergartens or childcare centres are keeping up proper hygiene standards because personally, I have seen caretakers take temperature of the kids without using probe covers or reusing them. Wouldnt this increase the chances of HFMD cross contaminating other kids? Are any checks being done on these centres? Anyone with similar experiences?
:roll:

loveKids
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mintcc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:24 pm

My ds's childcare uses a dish that has disinfectant which the teacher dip the thermometer in when taking temperature of different children.

Not sure how effective it is though.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Good point about the thermometer, especially with HFMD being so virulent these days. Maybe we should lobby for non-contact temperature taking, or simply insist that everyone use their own thermometers?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 am

The enrichment class that my kid attend, they will get the kids to use liquid sanitizer to clean their hand before the class starts, I suppose that is the minimal.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby KSMUM » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 am

I was very shock on what the HFMD can do a child when I read how it can damage the brain of a 7 year old.... As parent, it is not only we have to ensure that our home is clean and pp must take social responsibility. I have seen parent taking a sick child ( cooling pad on the child head) into shopping centre, super market.. ...

I have been keeping my child at home as she has some immume deficiency .. and ensure that I clean all her toy, table... every day.

KSMUM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mintcc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm

I think the liquid sanitizer is a good idea. May be shd bring one around.

I recall once when I ask my pd on whether my boy with suspected HFMD then will spread it to other kids from the toys he played with while waiting for his turn.
He say no need to worry unless they have very close contact. But then from what I know, the virus is air borne, so will be easily spread right?

Anyway here are some tips I saw at babycenter to lessen the chances of them falling sick:

1. Make sure your child washes his hands.
2. Teach your child not to touch his eyes or nose.
3. If your child's in daycare, check the "sick-kid" policy.
4. Get your child vaccinated
5. Do what you can to boost your toddler's immunity naturally.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby loveKids » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:27 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Good point about the thermometer, especially with HFMD being so virulent these days. Maybe we should lobby for non-contact temperature taking, or simply insist that everyone use their own thermometers?

Yes, I personally have heard of many childcare centres and kindergartens cutting corners just to save a few cents. I think hygiene should be the top most priority now that HFMD has become so rampant. I wonder if these shoddy practices are contributing to the rise as well. Perhaps, we parents should do our part and encourage the centres to pull up their socks when it comes to enforcing hygiene practices.

For some of those using ear thermometers, I wonder why they bother to do the disinfecting and reusing when each plastic cover is less than 5 cents. Contactless may be the solution but how accurate is it? Any ideas?

loveKids
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:42 pm

Hmm... the HFMD thing is getting scary... anyone thinking of pulling out your kid in childcare even if no case is reported there?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby KSMUM » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 am

Hi... I have pull my girl out from her child care even there isn't any HFM reported as it is scary.. 1000 cases in a week..

KSMUM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Hygiene Practices in Childcare centers

Postby jorgea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:20 am

I guess each center is different and thus have their own unique hygiene routine. In that case, you have to investigate the hygiene practice of care center where your child attends to see if it's good enough.

find cheap flights | find cheap airline tickets | cheap air travel tips | cheap flight search cheap plane tickets | free flash games | free online games | converting to islam | convert to islam | mercury poisoning treatment mercury detox | safe mercury detoxification | detox diets for weight loss foods that burn belly fat

jorgea
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care