HFMD and childcare centre policy

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

HFMD and childcare centre policy

Postby Han Seo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi, I would like to seek parents' opinion regarding childcare centre policy on Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD).

Does your child's centre reveal the names of the child/children who have HFMD?

Will you want to know the names of the child/children who have the disease? Of what use would this information be to you?

Do you think the centre has a right not to disclose the afflicted child/ children's names for fear that the child may be ostracized when he returns to school (although he or she would have been well by then?).

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: HFMD and childcare centre policy

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Han Seo wrote:Hi, I would like to seek parents' opinion regarding childcare centre policy on Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD).

Does your child's centre reveal the names of the child/children who have HFMD?

Will you want to know the names of the child/children who have the disease? Of what use would this information be to you?

Do you think the centre has a right not to disclose the afflicted child/ children's names for fear that the child may be ostracized when he returns to school (although he or she would have been well by then?).

my ds2 is with a kindergarten.
i don't need to know the names.
i just need to know whether it is from my boy's class.
children like to tease one another. even if sch does not disclose the names, children themselves may know why their friends do not turn up for sch (those K1/K2). i see no reason why the sch should withheld the names of those affected, although i also see no reason why they need to inform parents who specifically has HFMD.
MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: HFMD and childcare centre policy

Postby chatelaine » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:55 am

Centre usually won't reveal child's name but they will mention from which class. Wherelse our children might tell us who got it.

Even if we know the names also of no use. By then they would be well, why need to ostracize them?

My DD's CC only recently start informing parents not to let affected sibling go to sch until the other one gets well. Such a late precaution! Don't know what's going thru their brains to implement this so late.

From what I known, siblings in the CC do get it. By then it's too late, they already pass the germs to their classmates. Thus, causing other parents inconvenience.

chatelaine
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 am

There really is no need to know the affected child's name. All we need to know is from which class and when was the child last in class I guess. Well in any case, if you ask your kid, they will be able to tell you which child from which class was absent so you can kinda put 1 and 1 together.

Most centres will not outrightly name the child nor will they confirm if parents were to ask them. However, there is no way they can stop the kid's classmate from going home to tell their parents so and so is down with HFMD.

As for siblings thing, parents should exercise common sense lah. Need the centre to specifically tell you not to send siblings of infected child in? Have some social responsibility. In any case, ctrs cannot turn siblings away if they do not exhibit any symptoms, can only appeal to parents to help by keeping the child away.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby keenDaddy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Agreed that no need to disclose child's name, just the level/class so that the parents can be more alert.

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care