Preschool - Open Door or Close Door Policy

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Pre-school - Open Door or Close Door Policy

Postby kwcllf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:04 pm

Although what have been mentioned are valid points, I do wonder how many parents visit their kids at "odd" hours as most are probably working. I am not saying there are no such cases, as have been mentioned, but I doubt any parents would intentionally disrupt a class.

Also, there may be other reasons barring parents from entering the premises. One of the reason may be the cc is afraid that their shortcomings are detected. In fact, I have spoken to a parent before and was told that when she dropped by at her child's cc one day to bring her kid back early, she was horrified to find that her unwell child was not given the proper care although she had given them specific instructions.

Also, there are cases where menu are not strictly adhered to, although this may be passed off as one of those cases where certain ingredients are not available. There are also cases where hot water for drinking are poured into plastic dispensers not suitable to contain hot liquid, which can have detrimental health effects.

I am not saying all CCs are like that........but these are things that have happened, and which we would not have known if parents are strictly prohibited from entering the CC's compound.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mintcc » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:26 pm

there are often two sides to a story...that's why I prefer cc with windows where I can peep and see what is going on discreetly.

Most of the time, it is not to spot check on what teachers are doing but to observe/look at my kid on how he interact and behave when we are not around.

Overall, places that give reasonable access makes me feel more at ease as a parent.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kwcllf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:44 am

Although parents are given the first few days to be with their child/children when they enrolled into a new cc, this does not totally give parents a full view/understanding/feel of how their cc is run or how good the teachers are. It is only over a period of time that the quality of a cc can be properly assessed.

As you have mentioned in your "Preschool Curriculum" forum, it is obvious that quality is clearly lacking due to the reasons you gave. I am sure there are many more reasons.

There may be parents who "ignorantly" disrupt a classs, as you have mentioned. But I don't think this occurred frequently. If it occurs frequently, then it is the cc responsibility to make it known to the parent concerned and implement alternative ways to overcome the problem instead of putting a blanket ban on parents visiting the cc.

Also, for parents to visit the cc does not mean all parents are kiasu, a term you used frequently. We make an effort to visit our children at the cc during our lunchtime, just to bond with them. We are not there to find fault.

If the cc is confident of their quality of services there is no need to be afraid of parents visiting the cc. In order not to "disrupt" lessons, the cc can have some basic rules like having the child brought to the parent instead of the other ways round, or have some "off-limit" areas.

I am sure parents are understanding enough to see the benefits of such arrangements.

I agreed with mincy that a cc that allows parents to visit their children give parents more confidence. To overcome the "potential" problems that were mentioned, some rules can be implented to prevent "outsiders" from peeping a children during bath-time, lessons time, etc....

Having a completely Close Door policy is certainly not the way. The best way, in my opinion, is having something in between.

I will like to quote PM Lee National Day message about how her mother sacrificed her earnings to have lunch with him and his siblings. (It is not that parents are merely "kiasu" but there is a genuinely desire to bond with their children.

Quote:

Excerpt of PM Lee Hsien Lonng’s speech at 2008 National Day Rally 2008

I remember my own experience. I am a beneficiary of this. My mother was a lawyer but everyday, she came home to have lunch with us. So everyday we come home from school, three of us, my mother is there. We have lunch. Nowadays you would call it quality time. This was before people invented such big words. All it meant was she had time for us. We had time to talk to her and it was a tremendous help. She avoided going out at night for functions. She had to go to accompany my father but business functions very seldom. What it meant is less takings as a lawyer, less work, less conveyancing but she decided that her children were more important to her and she acted on that. And I think she was happy with that and we are definitely very grateful for that. Today, it's harder to do this. The office hours are longer, the pace is more intense, people call them ‘office hours’, you must put quotes there because it starts in the morning but it doesn’t finish after dinner. And at home, you are working. On holidays you are working too on email or Blackberry or whatever.

Despite this, I think you have to maintain a balanced fulfilling life and you have to keep a pace which is sustainable not just for one or two years and you burn out, but for a lifetime and you are in balance, equilibrium and at the end of your life or when you retire, you say I'm satisfied, I've had a good career, I've taken care of my family, I've brought up children. This is what life is about.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mintcc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 am

I suppose there may be some parents who do try to talk to teachers during class time/ visit children during lunch but that should be the minority bah and most should understand if the matter is explain to them clearly and nicely.

Personally, I am pretty happy about my son's cc's level of openness even though it is considered close door. - Parents are not allowed to move beyond the gate except for first 3 days and birthdays and special circumstances.

We got to stay together with our child for the first 3 days and the cc fix entrance dates for new children to twice a month so that there is limited disruption. We get to join our boy for his birthday celebration which is a great time to observe the general going ons in the cc.

Windows are usually open for peeping/scanning and teachers love to chat over the gate after we drop our kid off as long as there are not a lot of kids waiting to get their temperature check. This is usually before 9 or on Saturdays. Sometimes some teachers will even voluntarily chat with me on their observation of my boy or update me on some happenings when I run into them on the way home.

However, I also know of friends whose kid's cc discourage/do not allow them to stay with the kid even on the first few days and are not very communicative in general. So the lack of information tends to breeds more concern and distrust.

Basically I feel there should not be too much issue over open/close door policy as long as the expectation is set before the child joins the cc and communication is ample and consistent.
Last edited by mintcc on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kwcllf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 am

I never mentioned that parents should visit their children during CORE LESSON HOURS. For that, I think most, if not all, parents are sensible enough not to disturb the class. For the minority that do, as I said, they should be communicated to and I think they can understand the reasons an co-operate.

This goes for meal time.......and the chances that a parent feeds his/her kid is a minority. All-in-all, I think it is important to have 2-way coomunication as this is the only way to build trust.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kwcllf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:28 pm

That's precisely what I am talking about.

But, perhaps I will like to rephrase "Reasonable access and not complete Open Door" to "Reasonable access and not complete Close Door".

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Neva...

Postby buds » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:31 am

Neva complete close door, people!
Scarrrryyyy..

No matter how good the said cc is,
if complete close door, don't enrol!

Heh.. Hope that didn't frighten anyone.
Cheerios.

buds