Candies, biscuits, cookies, etc

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Candies, biscuits, cookies, etc

Postby smurf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Does your child's school give out candies, biscuits, etc frequently to your child? And how do you react to it? Let them eat or throw away when they bring back?

My boy's kindergarten often give out candies, biscuits by school teachers and frankly speaking, I wish they dun. Coz he gets very 'heaty' very easily, and he isn't very keen in drinking water, so this would lead to cough, running nose, etc. And I often have to struggle with him telling him not to eat it, nag and nag at him, and this leads to quarrel, and I hate to explain why he can't take such goodies, again and again.

And when he has cough, he can't go to school, so it's a vicious cycle. When there are birthday parties, the school gives out big goodies bag, either by the parents (of the birthday child) or the school teachers. And usually, there are candies, biscuits or gummies. :stupid:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby littlehelper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:22 pm

I would allow my kid to take them provided he drinks water.
Don't drink = don't eat.
If it's once in a while i guess you can just let him have it but since it's frequently i suggest you keep it in a box or smth and give it to him as rewards/special occasion etc.
Or you can just throw them away.(This will be quite mean though)
Keep some throw away the rest another option.

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby DesertWind » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Wah, throw away goodie bag goodies?

Goodie bags no longer appreciated?

But nowadays ya, parents are a lot more health conscious so me too if the "quality" is no good I will not let my boy have it.

So it applies for me too when I pack goodie bags, to pack those healthier options like Glico pocky, dynasaur gummies using natural juice, small packs of pizza crackers, raisins etc. I hope nobody throw away my bags!
:cry:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:16 pm

My boy's school does not give them. However, parents will buy them and give out in the goody bags during their kid's birthday. The school did advise not to give sweets but can give small toys instead.

I'm very strict about this and right from the start, everyone around me knows it. My boy is turning 4 soon and he does not like all these 'junk food'. *phew*

On the rare occasion that he is given sweets, he will keep them in his pocket and give them to us when he reaches home. He will insist on opening the sweet and personally putting them into our mouths. And he will ask,"Is it nice?" and we will make faces :p

So far, we've only given toys or cute pencils/erasers/rulers in goodie bags. I think we did give organic lollipops (made from real fruit juices) with organic raisins this year. Even the cake is specially ordered (no artificial flavouring/food colouring).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Bday celebrations are conducted quite often in my DS's kindy. And yes, they do distribute sweets.

The teachers will pack the goodies in his school bag and once home, he will take them out and display them to me.

I will just coolly hand them to my helper, telling my DS that this is his way of thanking her for helping Mummi take care of him.

Because my DS is not used to eating sweets, he will happily acquiesce.

For my DS's bday, I distributed raisins instead of sweets in his goodie bag.
Last edited by autumnbronze on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 pm

my ds2 will bring home his goodie bags cos i guess they are not allowed to consume it during class time.
i will then only pass to him stuff that he can eat and divide the remaining loot between ds1 and me. 8)
nothing will go to waste.
:wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:14 am

Wow, how come your boys are so kuai one?

Ds1 simply cannot dun eat candies. If I dun give, he angry, if I give, he coughs... :stupid:

Ya, I do appreciate if parents dun put these goodies in goodies bag, i would think use the money to engage magician, etc for the party. Which is tons better. Coz some children have allergy, cannot eat this eat that. some parents do put 'not so good' quality food in goodies bag. Maybe because of the cost. But if want to give and throw away, is quite wasteful.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 am

Wow, how come your boys are so kuai one?

Ds1 simply cannot dun eat candies. If I dun give, he angry, if I give, he coughs... :stupid:

Ya, I do appreciate if parents dun put these goodies in goodies bag, i would think use the money to engage magician, etc for the party. Which is tons better. Coz some children have allergy, cannot eat this eat that. some parents do put 'not so good' quality food in goodies bag. Maybe because of the cost. But if want to give and throw away, is quite wasteful.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby superdaddy000 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

My kids sch often hold birthday party and give out party packs. Sometimes, it's so many that we have to finish for them.

My DD usually bring home but she don't gets to open it. We will give her those biscuits that's not heaty and no sweets for her except jelly. :love:

superdaddy000
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

I bring back all the untouched candies to the office. I give away the cookies and candies to the cleaners in my condo sometimes (whenever I see them).

I dont have alittle toys in goodie bags now (DDs are older) but I dont have small purses and pencil cases. For such things, I will keep aside and give to maids during Xmsd time.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care