My child results are very very bad.

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

My child results are very very bad.

Postby snowwhitejt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi,

My son results are very very bad. B3 for English & Chinese. B4 for Math & Science.
Should I put him in student care? or get a 1 to 1 tutor for him again?
Next year he will be in the morning session(P4) & I strongly believed that he will be watching or sleeping the whole day at home.
Wat should I do?
Any good student care to recommend near CCK north 6?
Any good tutor to recommend?

snowwhitejt
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby littlehelper » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:20 pm

If he needs help with his studies , better to get tuition for him.
Not necessarily 1:1 as it's expensive but if you afford then why not?
What do you mean again? He is having tuition now but still get poor results? That shows that your child would probably need a different tutor that can teach so that he will understand/suit your child's learning style.

If he just needs to be disciplined and someone to watch him do his work which could lead to an improvement of marks, then student care would be fine.
Student care teachers can teach/coach your child(some) then the other subjects that they can't you can get a tutor for your child.

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby snowwhitejt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Yes, he had 7 tutors in 2010 & chased ALL 6 away. Left this lady tutor who has tried her very best to teach. At times e tutor will need to beg him to do his work especially Math. Giving him everyday 1:1 tution doesn't seem to help as his results are still very bad.
Next year he will be in AM session and I believe he is not going to do his homework or anyting during the afternoon so I am thinking if i should enrol him to student care but my concern is his math. If he is going to a group tution than he sure can't catch up as he can't even do P2 assessment papers.
I am really very lost with my child school work. He is last in the sch this year & I am really very worry when he is in P4.

snowwhitejt
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby littlehelper » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm

Oh i see.
Mayb give him incentives if he does his work?
i know of someone that pays the kid 1 dollar after he finishes one asssesment book (not very good to bribe the kid but if no choice, this could be a way and then slowly get rid of the habit?)
I have a good math tutor to recommend but she's really expensive and i m not sure if she's still taking in students cos she's very packed.
But she's good.
She does home tuition and she runs her own tuition center (of cos not her teaching in the center)
Which area do you live?
Actually if you can i believe you can coach your son in his math cos primary school math is quite simple.
Just get the basics right, i think it will be alright.
Better get smth done quickly cos from p4 onwards the math will be quite tough...

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ppnqq » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm

snowwhitejt wrote:Yes, he had 7 tutors in 2010 & chased ALL 6 away. Left this lady tutor who has tried her very best to teach. At times e tutor will need to beg him to do his work especially Math. Giving him everyday 1:1 tution doesn't seem to help as his results are still very bad.
Next year he will be in AM session and I believe he is not going to do his homework or anyting during the afternoon so I am thinking if i should enrol him to student care but my concern is his math. If he is going to a group tution than he sure can't catch up as he can't even do P2 assessment papers.
I am really very lost with my child school work. He is last in the sch this year & I am really very worry when he is in P4.

Sorry to hear about that but for my view, I feel that you should have a heart-to-heart talk with him and try to find the root cause of it because if there are some underlying reasons for eg due to some health/behavioral/emotional issues etc, and if the issues are not compromised or resolved, I feel that even if you get the best tutor or put him in the best student care also useless. Pardon my straight forwardness, this is how I feel towards what you have quoted.

If I were you, I will try to talk to his form teacher to find out how is he behaving and doing in school, find out what does the teacher thinks and feels about your child. They could give you some clue or even good advises, then have a good talk with your child (not in a reprimanding manner), try to find out if something is bothering him or makes him unhappy, or anything that is obstructing his studies or what makes him hate tuition (since you mentioned he 'chased' away so many tutors).

You have to know what is happening first, then you are able to find the most suitable or appropriate solution to it and not to keep looking for a tutor for him. It will be endless if the root cause of it is not found and resolved. To add on, you may also seek for professional help like a qualified counselor. JMHO and good luck.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thinking » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Littlehelper

Can you pm me the maths tutor detail u mentioned?Can elaborate more on her?

thinking
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby radiantmum » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 pm

I second ppnqq's views - find out why first.

Check out Adam Khoo's I'm Gifted, So Are You book. He was bottom of the class primary and secondary but once he finds his motivation and direction, he shines. Your kid is possibly awaiting for the right button to be pressed. All the best!

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

snowwhitejt wrote:Yes, he had 7 tutors in 2010 & chased ALL 6 away. Left this lady tutor who has tried her very best to teach. At times e tutor will need to beg him to do his work especially Math. Giving him everyday 1:1 tution doesn't seem to help as his results are still very bad.

I understand your frustrations as a parent when child is not willing to work hard...we are all stressed up as parents :frustrated: and the child is bochap. Guess the tutors are not able to entice him to be keen in the subject. The tutor needs to be able to understand your child's personality and 'get him of his shell'.
Are the tutors giving him too much homework ? Too much homework from tutors on top of school hw can backfire too.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowwhitejt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi ppnqq,

We did had a heart to heart talks many many times.
Everytime he will promise me he will do well but things never happen and his results are getting bad to worst.
I'm reali very very lost and dunno wat to do.. :(

snowwhitejt
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby snowwhitejt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Janet,

Yes, I agree with you dey simply bochap and don't understand y we do tis & dat. Onli noe how to complain tis and dat.
No, the tutor homeworks are sooooooo little.
I'm lost lost lost :cry: ...sad sad sad.... :(
I reali :pray: that he noe the hardwork that I put in for him soon and willingly to study hard.

snowwhitejt
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care