A full day in school - bathing?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

A full day in school - bathing?

Postby MerlionInGermany » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi,

I read from another thread of assessing a preschool cirriculum...there was a pointer to note the school's time schedule for taking baths.

Is it a norm in every school to have a bathing time for full-day children?

Apologise if it sounds like a silly question, I cannot recall how hot it usually is in Singapore. So if it's common to bathe the children, how is it usually done? The children are showered one by one or in small groups or? And it's shower with water and soap and shampoo or what?

Thanks.

MerlionInGermany
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby scoobydoo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:15 am

Dd is a in full-day childcare and yes, she has her shower there, right after lunch. They are showered 1 by 1, soap and shampoo provided by the centre. The usual practice is the kids line up outside the bathroom for their turn, one teacher showers and another dries them after that.

scoobydoo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 am

But if your children are older (K1, K2), they are expected to shower and dry themselves, with teacher supervision, of course. Boys will shower with boys and girls, with girls. Same bathroom, just different order.

Soap and shampoo provided by centre but since some centres use a 2-in-1 formula (cheaper and more convenient), you may consider providing your children with their own soap and shampoo.
My daughter's childcare provides these but we realised that their shampoo doesn't work for her since she sweats so much. Her hair will stink easily so we leave a bottle for her (clearly labelled with her name, of course) at her school and she will inform us when it's running low. The soap there is okay so she uses their soap.

By the way, some children with skin problems like ezcema will need their own set of toiletries. Schools understand and accept this.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 am

The usual practice is the kids line up outside the bathroom for their turn, one teacher showers and another dries them after that.

You have to personally check with your preferred centre on how they bathe the children.
When my ds1 attended his childcare for the first 2 days, the teacher lined the 18mth-30mth olds in a row, made them sit in a row in the front of the shower area and the teacher showered the children one at a time in full view of the rest of the kids! At the same time, older kids were allowed access to the common toilet to do their biz!
I withdrew my boy on the 3rd day.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MerlionInGermany » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks.

MerlionInGermany
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care