Enrichment programmes

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Enrichment programmes

Postby Strawberry Milkshake » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:47 pm

My son is in Barker Road Methodist Church Kindergarten K2. The school offered 2 chinese enrichment courses - 1 from Edno MI Based Intensive Chinese Programme (3hrs daily) - another from Apple Pie Junior Chinese Club (1.5hrs daily). Both are charging about the same fee monthly. Any comment which programme is better. My son is currently on Berries which is once a week for 1.5hrs. I don't know if it's sufficient for him. Any opinions from experienced parents which one of the 3 programmes would be good for his preparation to P1? My husband is very against the daily programmes as he worried that it might stress out my boy but I think otherwise. Please help!! :?:

Many thanks,
Strawberry Milkshake

Strawberry Milkshake
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Monster Mummy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi,

Is the enrichment course is on top of the school fees you are paying.

Wasn't the school offer any chinese programme.

I think that if the child is on the Berries on once a week, you might need to monitor how he progress before you decide to take up any programme.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby luvmum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Strawberry milkshake,

2 options offered:-

1. Commence on the daily mandarin programme (but is it needed or just once a week required) and cease Berries since it's like duplicate. There is just this much that they learn at preschool level anyway. Though kindy also has chinese class but it's good to enrich their mandarin further if this is an area they are weak at.

2. Not needed, just stick on to Berries good enough.

My elder girl also attends kindy and enriches on her Mandarin with Berries once a week. Her chinese competency is good enough to handle P1 work. Actually I tot kindy should hv varying enrichment programme rather than solely one enrichment that would be repeated for next 4 days?

I intend to sign up my younger boy with enrichment class next year too but will not let him take on the same subject for all 5 days...so boring right. :rubhands: :clubmyself: :frustrated:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mommy2two » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:58 pm

when is the most appropriate age to send our kid to enrichment class, like berries or phonics? my gal will be in N2 next year but sad to say, her chinese is not good (partly our fault coz we seldom speak at home) and sometimes even refuse to speak in mandarin when we try to talk to her; she'll tell us :"no....speak english, please!"

besides berries, any1 tried tien hsia?

mommy2two
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Enrichment class for less than 2yrs old

Postby Mathmaniac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Any suggestion and recommendation?

Mathmaniac
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Enrichment class for less than 2yrs old

Postby ppnqq » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 am

2 years old? :yikes: :scared:

Is it necessary at this age? :nailbite: :sweat:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bigsnoopy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:12 am

ppnqq wrote:2 years old? :yikes: :scared:

Is it necessary at this age? :nailbite: :sweat:

Not surprising at all. Any sort of structured lesson considered enrichment. Could be gymboree, baby jumper gym, kindermusic, shichida method. They are have programs for under 2. Might not be the acadamic ones but focus on the brain development and gross and fine motor skills. :smile:

bigsnoopy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:04 am

Little Neuro Tree, Growing Up Gifted.....

Personally, I believe the best "enrichment" for this age group is family (social) interaction and lots of opportunity to explore their surroundings through hands-on activities and play.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bigsnoopy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Agreed! Go for those enrichments that include parent.

bigsnoopy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby soursop » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Both my girls started Shichida when they turned one. Tried Little Neuro Tree, but didn't like it.

soursop
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care