Defamation

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Defamation

Postby mummyhappy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Just sharing an opinion.

Do you parents realize if you were to criticize child care centres openly in forums or other public means and if allegations are made without concrete evidence and documentation, the child care can sue the party for defamation?

although parents may have truly experienced something bad at the centre but they are not able to prove it with first hand documentation, they can still be accused by centres for defamation?

any thoughts? :?

mummyhappy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:38 pm

If parents have truly experienced something bad, then isn't this considered as "evidence" ?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:44 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:If parents have truly experienced something bad, then isn't this considered as "evidence" ?

unless the parents can prove it with evidences, else it is just one's words against another, and the other party can sue for defamation.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby mummyhappy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:44 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:If parents have truly experienced something bad, then isn't this considered as "evidence" ?

any Tom, Dick and Harry can say bad things about other centres. we never know the reason why.

Defamation: 1. false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny

2. communication to third parties of false statements about a person that injure the reputation of or deter others from associating with that person

source:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/defamation

mummyhappy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Yes!

That's why at my boy's previous CC, I expect the teacher or Principal to give me a written report on what happened (when my boy was bitten in school by another boy). We took photos of the wound and brought him to the doctor for a medical report too.

Also, we record down dates/time of conversations. If there's any 'verbal communications' regarding my boy (which I prefer not to have regarding important issues - email or written letter preferred), we normally use a voice recorder to record the conversation.

However, if the 'event' happened in class and the other children are older enough to 'verify', then their statements will be taken into account (with assessment from child psychologists).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummyhappy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 pm

thats great. thats responsible of the staff to do so. care to share the name of the school if possible?

is it a "premium" school? what is it like in terms of fees, say for the full day prog before subsidy?

mrswongtuition wrote:Yes!

That's why at my boy's previous CC, I expect the teacher or Principal to give me a written report on what happened (when my boy was bitten in school by another boy). We took photos of the wound and brought him to the doctor for a medical report too.

Also, we record down dates/time of conversations. If there's any 'verbal communications' regarding my boy (which I prefer not to have regarding important issues - email or written letter preferred), we normally use a voice recorder to record the conversation.

However, if the 'event' happened in class and the other children are older enough to 'verify', then their statements will be taken into account (with assessment from child psychologists).

mummyhappy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby littlehelper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Oh did not realise that.
Guess evidences are impt...

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happydaddy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 am

they are running business.

most of the parents who complain are fussy parents plus their kids difficult to handle.

if they are not happy, just moved on to another centre.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:37 pm

You'll be surprised....

Fees only $288.50 after subsidy for full day care...

It's PCS (www.pcs.org.sg)
I like the teachers (more caring). And I personally feel that they are very responsible (will keep me informed when my boy fell at the playground, bumped his head, etc). It's a non-profit organisation, so they are not out to earn your $$$, they are genuinely there to care for your kids.

To be fair, I know my boy is very playful and accidents do happen.
It's how they react and manage the situation that is critical. They will administer first aid, then call me or SMS me to inform me and ask if I would like to go down to bring him to see doctor or just leave him there first. First few times, we panicked and brough him home immediately. Subsequently, we realised that the staff know what they are doing, we only picked him up if it's serious (like when he was bitten by the boy until bleed).

mummyhappy wrote:thats great. thats responsible of the staff to do so. care to share the name of the school if possible?

is it a "premium" school? what is it like in terms of fees, say for the full day prog before subsidy?

mrswongtuition wrote:Yes!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

happydaddy wrote:they are running business.

most of the parents who complain are fussy parents plus their kids difficult to handle.

if they are not happy, just moved on to another centre.

None of them are willing to admit this!
hahahahaha!

Honestly, as a teacher & tutor, many parents live in denial when given feedback about their kids, especially if the feedback is not positive.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care