Filipino English language preschool teachers

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Filipino English language preschool teachers

Postby mummyhappy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Any parents have any experience with such Filipino teachers?

Any opinion on them?

mummyhappy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby happydaddy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 pm

now philipino teacher very common....

Now all singaporean teacher asking skyhigh pay.... minimum $2k. need to find other source to reduce the cost. unless you do not mind pay fee $1.5k monthly fee for good teacher.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mummyhappy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:05 am

I beg to differ. Filipinos are very usually s-pass workers where salary is minimum $1.8k by law. and separate levy of abt $200 per mth. they come with strict requirements.

What abt in terms of other experiences with them? if their accent isn't noticeable, would you mind having your childs teacher to be Filipino?

happydaddy wrote:now philipino teacher very common....

Now all singaporean teacher asking skyhigh pay.... minimum $2k. need to find other source to reduce the cost. unless you do not mind pay fee $1.5k monthly fee for good teacher.

mummyhappy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby happydaddy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

mummyhappy wrote:I beg to differ. Filipinos are very usually s-pass workers where salary is minimum $1.8k by law. and separate levy of abt $200 per mth. they come with strict requirements.

What abt in terms of other experiences with them? if their accent isn't noticeable, would you mind having your childs teacher to be Filipino?

happydaddy wrote:now philipino teacher very common....

Oh really? $1.8k is consider reasonable consider most of them has experience. Anyway, english is in demand in singapore.

At least yr kid will be force to talk to her in english not chinese.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm

My boy's current preschool teacher is Filipino.

Why we like her:
1. She has a Masters in Childhood Education
2. She's very patient and observant (the feedback she gives is really quality feedback)
3. My boy enjoys talking to her (she has a good rapport with the students)
4. She looks young and approachable
5. Her accent is not very strong, but her spoken English is clear and concise
6. She's willing to learn (when she found out that I'm a tutor, she was so keen to know more about SG education system, etc)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lingbel » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:10 pm

My girl teacher is also Filipino
To me, it doesn really matter, I always feel the most important is passion..

Lingbel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Filipino teachers

Postby Okosbaba » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:00 pm

I have good and bad experience with Filipino teachers.

1st pre-school teacher at branded pre-school: abs. HORRIBLE yelled and screamed at kids (that’s cause I usually sneak in to check on all my sons teachers... ) caught her dragging a little girl from the bathroom to the corridor in front.

2nd My maid actually Filipino (she has a bachelor of education) luckily she was new to Singapore and I thank my lucky starts every day !! She is fantastic with my son; she can teach him and follow up on any homework I set when I am away at work. FAB!! (she is very so so at cleaning.. but that doesn’t matter)

3rd My son's teacher at Zoophonics is also a Filip. FANTASTIC! very focused BA qualified very lucky..

I think if you find the personality that loves to teach regardless of creed or colour (as they say) they will be fantastic. I have experienced both local and foreign teachers that were completely uncommitted to their work and should have never been employed! Teachers (including pre-school teachers) should draw a salary of at least 2 K, admittedly it means higher fees for us but I rather pay now, than pay later .. ie. have to pay one on one tuition for my son in primary 1, 2,….
So it’s the person not the nationality that matters.

Okosbaba
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby yhanie_17 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Please do remember that Philippines is the 3rd best English Speaking country in the World so don't underestimate their capabilities.

yhanie_17
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Koolmama » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:30 am

I have nothing against Filipinos (racially speaking), but if you were to ask me to hire a foreign teacher to teach my children English i would rather have a British or American teacher.

In my son's previous school, he had a British, Singaporean and Filipino teacher. Of the 3, the one with the worst standard of English was the Filipino. Apart from the accent, her grammar was horrendous. E.g. she would tell me, "yar son just now, she go and... erm I mean he, go and did this...." :shock:

In Taiwan, only foreigners from certain countries are allowed work in Taiwan as English teachers - namely USA, Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a few others. They do not take jobs away from the locals as Taiwanese speak and teach mainly Chinese. Only in Singapore will you see jobs like these, which can be done by Singaporeans, being given to foreigners without proper qualifications.

Koolmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Koolmama » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:32 am

I'm not so sure about this... My previous maid used to tell my son "Don't BUNG the door"...!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

yhanie_17 wrote:Please do remember that Philippines is the 3rd best English Speaking country in the World so don't underestimate their capabilities.

Koolmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care