MacPherson Sheng Hong Childcare Centre

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

MacPherson Sheng Hong Childcare Centre

Postby NorNor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi, any advices on the above centre as thinking of sending my son there. Have been looking around a few centres and feel that this centre has got a big land area and better air flow/circulation and is very near to where I am staying. Thank U !

NorNor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi,

My kids are there since last year.

This child-care uses letterland for phonics.

Newsletter will be emailing to parents every month to update on kids progress in chinese, english and science/math.

There is communication book to communicate with teachers on regular basis.

The Childcare has acrobat and wu shu for age 5 onwards in the morning (free).

Enrichment for age 4 onwards- there isn't much choices here. It has English speech and drama by Debblinks and arts and craft by Artzone.

Food - Normal food as what you see in other child care. Do not expect very healthy nutritious and healthy food will be served. What i refer to is wholemeal bread, brown rice, variety of fruits. Fruits served is very standard.

School bus -$80 per month for 2 trips. To what i understand, kids will need to leave cc about 5pm in the afternoon (there are 2 trips in the afternoon). Morning transport is around 8am for the place we stay.

No seat belt for morning bus.

This school has a small farm at the back, big compound, double storey (2nd level is for k1 and k2).

1st term - playgroup
Playgroup (age 3) has been exposed to lots of rhymes and story tellings, matching colours, tracing numbers up to 5, letters up to D.

For science, they learnt smell, parts of face, how to brush,comb, take care of themselves.

Listening to instructions, arts and craft.

Updates for K1 -1st term
Phonics- learnt words ended with AT.
Reading - Kids are encouraged to read one by one and followed up with activity sheet. This would brought home once it has been completed.

Arts n craft- finger painting
Comparing stages of growing from baby till now. Learnt weighing scales.

Science- life cycle of bean sprout

Chinese -a list of new words to learn in the newsletter.
Math- Tracing numbers 1-50.

My kids are happy with the school and looking forward every day.

If there is any incident happen in CC, teachers would always call parents immediately.

I dont advise parents to send kids to CC on saturday . To what i see they are exposed to TV. All sit down and watch.

The admin and teachers are helpful and nice.

There will be a yearly concert end of each year. It charges fairly , unlike other school whereby parents have voice out too expensive.

One thing that i dont like about this child care is junk food. Kids are rewarded with crackers/sweets and they often get to take it home. At least weekly. This is to what i observed for k1 for the 1st term.

Hope this helps parents to decide.
Last edited by Charmaine_chong on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Could anyone share what has been learnt for k2?

How well has this school prepare the kids for P1?

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: MacPherson Sheng Hong Childcare Centre

Postby Charmaine_chong » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 am

There was a parent who asked me whether this cc is good. I just saw his/her massage yesterday. Would like to post my comments here.

Please see my personal comments as follow
1. My kids love n enjoy going to cc
2. Do lower down your expectation on academic part. They use letterland to teach phonics however it is not comprehensive. Their homework is very basic.
Parents have to teach kids at home.
3. They only have 3 enrichment classes which to my opinion it is not really benefiting the kids. Do check out more.
4. The school bus drivers, admin staff, helpers there are nice. However some teachers are stern and unfriendly.
5. Chinese teacher will get kids to recite tang poems, San zhi jin. di zi GUI since playgroup but not determine to finish the entire classics. Just teach a bit only.
( parents who is keen to send kids learning classics , do check out temples) I know a lot near geylang and are good)
6. The food offers here is normal. I don't find it really healthy. My definition of healthy diets mean to take brown rice, sea salt, lots of veggie and fruits. No can food, no sausage, ham
, white sugar, white rice, biscuits, fried meats)

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sharkkie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Parents..do you know when the school start training them to do writing? The concept of letterland is good...how prepared are the children for Primary one in future?

sharkkie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 am

Letterland is being taught since 3 yo but do not expect too much from the school. The teacher just touch a bit here and there, not a concrete letterland program.

The readers are very simple just like many other schools. Children are exposed to writing at k1. Age4 will be exposed to simple strokes, some tracing.

The principal do not believe in spelling, drilling kids. So no spelling for them. K2 are taught to write sentences. However, I am not sure how teachers conduct the lessons.

Kids are exposed to tv program for those who are waiting for parents to pick them, on sat n some days too.

So far the school has only 3 external programs: arts n craft and English speech & drama. I advise parents to monitor closely on the progress to avoid dissapointment.

They have free acrobat at age of 4 onwards and wu shu. These are not structure programmer, just to get them exercise only.

The food serve is average. Again a lot of cc even charge with high fee also don't serve real good nutritious food. I refer to non can food, no biscuit, no junk food.

Teachers are generally nice and friendly.

Do visit the school or probably to ask for trial.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 am

Hi parents,

I have used school uniforms & PE shirts & shorts to give away after end of Nov.

Sizes : L size- boy (K1 & K2) & M size-girl (for N1 & N2)

Please post here if you are interested.

Note: only self pick-up.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sunshinestill » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:22 am

Hi,

I have pm you. Hope to hear form you :smile:

Best regards
Sun

Charmaine_chong wrote:Hi parents,

I have used school uniforms & PE shirts & shorts to give away after end of Nov.

Sizes : L size- boy (K1 & K2) & M size-girl (for N1 & N2)

Please post here if you are interested.

Note: only self pick-up.

sunshinestill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Charmaine_chong » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi sunshinestill,

Had emailed you.

Size XL/L are still available for boy.

Do let me know before 15Dec. Otherwise, will dipose away.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby raggie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi, I have 3 sets of shirts / shorts / PE attire for boys size S to let go at cheap price. Pls contact me. The sets were worn only because the child was in the centre for 1.5 weeks only.

Thanks. Email me at dancingant@gmail.com

raggie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care