childcare concert ticket break new report...

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

childcare concert ticket break new report...

Postby happydaddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 am

$150.. 2 ticket, 1 dvd plus 10 photos, and clothes that i think will use only once... plus $15 for another ticket....

last yr $120... now $150... this is ridiculous....

some more see 2mins for $150....

gone are the days where the concert cost merely $50-$80 bucks.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby auntieM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Some charges for costume, DVD and photos..$40~50 each.. :faint:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 pm

$120-150 is way beyond ridiculous - lemme see, at that price, one can pay to watch some pop star liao (ok, maybe not front seat - then again, children's concert also we don't get front seat). So got revolving stage?

My kids' kindy charges I think $5 for additional tickets (each family only entitled 2, no matter how many kids you have got inside). Costumes about $30. Dvd is about $20 (but includes lotsa photos inside) - quality not quite there but what the heck lah, it's kindy standard.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby chatelaine » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi happydaddy

Can pm me the childcare name?

Thanks!

chatelaine
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby keenDaddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:29 pm

The charges will be quite varied....
depending on the venue - air-con auditorium or non air-con CC or school's own premises?
depending on food - buffet or finger food or no food
depending on costumes? any studio recording? any professional video and camera man? DVD thrown in or paid separately? transportation included?
Some even engage external folks to plan and do the choreography....

The more up market the school, the more elaborated will be the year-end concert and hence more expensive. Need to cater to the more expensive parents :)

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby keenDaddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:54 pm

anyway, do you parents find it beneficial for your kids to participate in concerts?

Found it is part of the learning process whereby they learn to work with the teachers, classmates towards e coordinated performance. At the same time improve self-confidence and conquer stage fright. And, they enjoy and have a lot of funs...my kid enjoys his this year.

However, a supervisor was saying that some parents think otherwise and makes comments such as "I send my kids to learn how to sing and dance?" "Does this eat into the curriculum time?"

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby b2b3m4 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 am

^ in fact i feel if i do not let my kids join the concert, they will be left out.

Imagine when all their classmates were rehersing for the item what will my kids be left to do??? Both dd attend the same CC, so they actually watched the other one perform when they are rehersing. DDs came back and actually sang and danced together (even though they each performed different items). So to me, my dds enjoyed themselves and that is most important.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:19 am

Agree that if all other kids were to participate and my kid isn't, I would worry if my kid feels left out. Then again, for my kids' school, they tend to have a couple of major performers and the rest just go and wiggle their butts. Also, it depends on the level and type of performance. Too intense a performance (that requires a lot of rehearsals), then parents are paying school fees for what?

I pulled DS1 out of a school in the past becos there was just too many performances in a year (national day sing, children day, teacher day, parent day) - and it's just a normal kindy.

There are some events that my kids don't get to participate in (eg when it clashes with their enrichment classes). So they don't get to go and I leave it as that. I don't think my kids are scarred from not participating when their other friends are rehearsing? Same goes for those outings that I personally find pointless - I rather they stay at home and watch tv.

Then again, my kids are not the type that likes S&D. They go for such classes and will be very drama (when I don't buy the toys they want). Apart from that, they are still shy and reluctant to stand out in public to perform. Since it's their nature, I don't force the issue. But I've seen kids who have flair in performing and if I'm a parent I would naturally want them to participate in such.

I'm just grateful that I've not been put in such positions where I have to decide if to pay these charges. I know my DH's eyes will pop out if he had to pay such amounts for a school concert. But then, to acquiese to these charges could mean that parents end up in a never-ending spiral of charges.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Han Seo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:04 pm

I would rather that the concert be replaced with a project exhibition done by the children. I must emphasized that the project should be the children's work and not the teachers', and this often means that the children have worked on the project for weeks or months.

In one centre I know, the K1 children set up their own canteen stalls in their classroom after visiting a canteen in the school premises. They decided they wanted to sell REAL food after role playing with toy food. They had to"

1. persuade the principal to let them sell REAL food in the classroom (communication skills)
2. decide on what food they want to sell (decision making skills)
3. work with a budget, price the items and give change to customers (math skills)
4. design and write the names of their stalls (art and literacy skills)

On the opening ceremony day, they put up a lion dance performance (cultural and physical skills). Each stall even had a grade: A, B. C or D. They persuaded one of the parents to grade their stalls before the opening ceremony. One boy was seen persuading the principal to buy from his stall because his stall had an 'A' grade.

I would much prefer to see this type of learning processes rather than a dance performance, which, in most cases, are mostly the teacher's work and idea.

[/b]

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby happydaddy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:58 am

concert is good.

make them stand on the stage to perform is a wonderful experience for them.

You will be shock at that kind of age, they are able to perform unbelievable dance and no matter how naughty they are, they are able to listen to instruction when on stage.

The kind of experience is priceless, but that kind of cost is a big hole in the pocket.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care