Is it Compulsory to attend Nursery class

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Is it Compulsory to attend Nursery class

Postby TulipisPink » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:36 am

Dear parents

I understand that it is compulsory for kid to attend Kindergarten.

But is it compulsory to attend Nursery class at the age of 4 yrs old , in order to qualify to attend the Kindergarten class? :?

Please advise.

Cheers

Pink

TulipisPink
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:45 am

pre-school is not compulsory.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Is it Compulsory to attend Nursery class

Postby jedamum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:25 am

TulipisPink wrote:Dear parents

But is it compulsory to attend Nursery class at the age of 4 yrs old , in order to qualify to attend the Kindergarten class? :?

Please advise.

Cheers

Pink

nursery education is not compulsary. but for very popular kindergarten, registration priority is given to their own school's nursery class.
it is also good to start nursery so that the kid is more familiar with going to school routine and learning/playing in a group before K1 starts as K1 is where most learning starts, so if your kid starts nursery, you won't have to deal with separation anxiety, or settling down issues in K1.
MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:32 am

TulipisPink wrote:Dear parents

Please advise.

Preschool education is not compulsory. However, parents are encouraged to send their kids to attend as children are taught skill sets and basic alphabet recognition. My kids started attending Nursery at 4.
They learn to be more independent and sociable too.
Last edited by janet88 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:32 am

TulipisPink wrote:But is it compulsory to attend Nursery class at the age of 4 yrs old , in order to qualify to attend the Kindergarten class? :?

Not at all. But kindys will give priority to existing students, so for popular kindys, you will have to be on a waiting list to get in for kindergarten. Afternoon classes are usually not difficult to get. My son switched three kindys, all afternoon classes. My ds2 will also be skipping nursery.
Abilities are generally very uneven through preschool, but it is good to have an idea of what they will be teaching so you can help your child make a smooth transition.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daddy2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

deminc wrote: Afternoon classes are usually not difficult to get. My son switched three kindys, all afternoon classes. My ds2 will also be skipping nursery.

Can i know why afternoon classes are usually have vacancy? Seems like I have been hearing this a few times

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby daddy2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 am

I am also contemplating sending my DD to K1 instead of N2. One main problem I have is my DD don't take medicine at all (since born). Whenever she is sick, we have a big problem to get her to take medicine. When we forced it in (after a long session to fail to convince her), she mostly will vomit out. So when taking antibotic, it is a big big problem for us as we need to complete the full course

Once she starts to attend N2, she will fall sick frequently and we will have big problem! :(

Maybe she will be better in taking medicine when she turned 5 (hopefully)

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:01 am

daddy2007 wrote:
deminc wrote: Afternoon classes are usually not difficult to get. My son switched three kindys, all afternoon classes. My ds2 will also be skipping nursery.

Can i know why afternoon classes are usually have vacancy? Seems like I have been hearing this a few times

Most parents prefer morning session...since kids have naps in the afternoon. Personally I prefer morning too. Wake up/freshen/have breakfast/shower/go to school. After school, lunch, shower and then play.
Towards end of K2, some parents do switch their kids to afternoon session when the primary school they register their kids in, conduct P1 in the afternoon.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 am

daddy2007 wrote:I am also contemplating sending my DD to K1 instead of N2. One main problem I have is my DD don't take medicine at all (since born). Whenever she is sick, we have a big problem to get her to take medicine. When we forced it in (after a long session to fail to convince her), she mostly will vomit out. So when taking antibotic, it is a big big problem for us as we need to complete the full course

Once she starts to attend N2, she will fall sick frequently and we will have big problem! :(

Maybe she will be better in taking medicine when she turned 5 (hopefully)

Both my kids fell sick frequently when they started attending Nursery...it's like a rotation of sickness - runny nose, cough, sore throat, fever. After June, the cycle starts again. This continued for a while :cry: :cry: I contemplated taking them out of school but this will not help build up immunity. Surprisingly they were better in K2...more resistant to all the cough and runny nose.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:02 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Most parents prefer morning session...since kids have naps in the afternoon. Personally I prefer morning too. Wake up/freshen/have breakfast/shower/go to school. After school, lunch, shower and then play.
Towards end of K2, some parents do switch their kids to afternoon session when the primary school they register their kids in, conduct P1 in the afternoon.

i prefer morning session too, but that will mean that i will need to bring ds2 along to fetch ds1 from school. not very ideal if it is raining and especially when the sbs bus is super crowded during dismissal. so i opt for afterrnoon and spend the morning coaching ds2 when ds1 is in school.

if in doubt of which session to take, take the morning session first, cos it is always easier to swop with afternoon session takers as most wanted morning sessions. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care