Changing Kindergarten/Childcare Center mid of K2

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Changing Kindergarten/Childcare Center mid of K2

Postby troubled » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi all,

Need some advise cos I'm thinking of changing childcare center in May for my child who is K2 this year.

Ever come across cases of K2 switching childcare?

Will Childcare center or Kindergarten reject the child??

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rainbows » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:43 pm

hi troubled

i did change childcare for my gal when she is k2. i regretted cos she took sometime to readjust the friends, teachers, systems, etc. till now, she misses all her friends from her previous childcare more...

if you could try not to change unless really the childcare cannot make it...

rainbows
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby troubled » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Rainbow!

Do u mean during mid-term of the year?

I'm actually more worried about Childcare not accepting new child in May or June :oops:

My boy adapts quite easily to new environment tho he does says he misses his ex-center's friends on & off..... :roll:

I've heard that childcare / kindergarten have this graduating concert preparation... :scratchhead:

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby keenDaddy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:30 am

not quite advisable to change at k2 esp middle of the year unless really necessary like shifting house from jurong to changi....

it is quite disruptive for the child, even though he or she may be very adaptive... u also hv to consider e disruption to his/her curriculum...however if r u switch him/her within the same chain e.g. pcf->pcf, ntuc->ntuc, learning vis->learning vis, ch hearts->ch hearts... then maybe it is still not too bad

generally, so long as e CC/K has vacancies, don't think they will reject k2 students... if u alr has a CC/K in mind, can just call them up n ask.

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby toddles » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:49 pm

troubled wrote:Hi Rainbow!

Do u mean during mid-term of the year?

I'm actually more worried about Childcare not accepting new child in May or June :oops:

My boy adapts quite easily to new environment tho he does says he misses his ex-center's friends on & off..... :roll:

I've heard that childcare / kindergarten have this graduating concert preparation... :scratchhead:

what is your reason for changing?

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby troubled » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Its a long story.....hiaz....

Actually he's an intelligent child, just that he's extremely talkative and mischevious....gets on our nerves at times, not to mention teachers!

Due to numerous complains from his teachers, we sent him for assessment and before the tests & results are over & out, he's being asked to leave his CC.... :shock:

At our wits end, we send him to a "special" school..... :(

However, laterly he's seen the psychologist and we were told he's okie and can actually join normal CC.....and DS has said he's not happy at current school plus we noticed he's picked up some weired behaviours......that's why we are considering switching him....

Academic wise we're not really worried.....just want him to have more social interaction with his peers.....

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby troubled » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Insider!

Thanks for sharing your experience and I definitely feel much better now.

Actually I also noticed that if my boy watches TV, his wires will go loose and gets difficult to control! His previous CC lets him watch TV 2 to 3 times a day so he goes crazy and they can't control him..... :!:

We only switch on the TV after he goes to bed and he watches DVD (Cartoon : Disney / 3 littles pigs, ect) on Sunday at Grandma house after he does his 10 to 20 pages of assessment book.

But what do you mean by "condition" him?? :?

Currently I'm a SAHM but have intention to look for job soon....so a CC may be a more suitable choice for me..... :scratchhead:

Yesterday, my boy mentioned that one of the teacher is very fierce and beat them using pencil! Even threatened to lock them up in storeroom if they're naughty! Made me really worried cos they're in the basement and nobody sees what they do......

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mimama » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi troubled,

I have just changed my DS, who is K2, to a new CC. We have to change due to relocation. It took me a while to make this decision and we started looking around since a year ago. Was worried that DS could not get used to the new CC, and worried that he misses his friends, worried about the timing (when is the best time to leave K1 so as not to miss concert), worried that he could not cope with the new academic and every other things in the new place.

It has been 2 weeks plus and he is adjusting well (I think). During the first week, he was reluctant to go to school and kept on asking me if he can attend half day instead of full day etc.

If you have intention to change, it is better to change now than in the middle of K2. Because they need time to adjust and by the time they have settled down, it is probably close to end of K2 and going to P1 which is another round of adjustment again.

Mimama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby troubled » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Mimama,

Thanks for sharing!

Did considered that too but need to serve 2 months notice at current center so earliest to start will be in April.....if we managed to find one..... :cry:

I've actually had a few nearby CC in mind but haven't called them yet as we can only start in Apr..... :roll:

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mimama » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Forgot to tell you also that the new CC had to do an assessment on the child. Reason given was because he did not start with them since nursery and they need to understand his level of english and math etc. They say some parents change school in K2 because they expect the new school to do miracles to the child academic level to prepare for P1 and if the child has just joined them from K2 onwards, there is very little time for that.

Having said that, not all kindy or CC do this. I guess so long as there is vacancy, they will accept you.

Mimama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care