Learn thru play or academic?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Learn thru play or academic?

Postby shn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 pm

Recently I was discussing this topic with my groups of aunts friends! My 2 elder was from an academic base kindergarten! They are doing well in their primary school. I think I want a change for my no.3 so I decided to put my no. 3 in the learn thru play school like shaw, chiltern, little big etc! BUT after a week of discussion with one of my friend, who have 3 kids too, I decided to drop my idea and get back to academic base school. The reason was her 1st 2 girl ( academic kinder ) have no problem handling their primary 1 but her son who was from chiltern house, now was struggling in the pri 1, even though it was only the 1st month! I was told that he can't follow simple instructions like take out wrong textbook! anyone whom had send kids to learn thru play like ju Gabriel, shaw , chiltern, ossdesy, would like to share your views when your kids entered p1??? Thanks

shn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Learn thru play or academic?

Postby hope76 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi, interesting topic to me cos I'm also discussing this topic with my hubby. The only thing is that my ds1 is only in K1, dd2 in pre-nurs and ds3 only 18mths.

My concern is also is their current kindy able to prepare him well for P1? Sometimes it's really not a easy decision cos for academic focus kindergarten, they don't really have nice play environment.

So what's ur decision for no.3??

Btw, which kindy did your older 2 kids go? Can share? :)

hope76
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby shn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 pm

My older 2 went to Gracefield Kindergarten ( a strong academic i should say) but the teachers & principal left. ( lucky 3 years after my dd & ds grad)
they are doing well in their primary 1 & 2.
actually a year ago my 3rd was at little skool house. she spend almost a year time but still not settled. Cry most of the time . when i have the chance, I will take a look at the K1 having lesson .I found out that they are not strong in their academic. they are belong to learn thru play type. NOt much writting, not organise.
My fren who i had mentioned above , strongly advise me not to send to learn thru play after her incident. cos her 3rd was learn thru play.
DO u know that some of the P1 & 2 are suppose to be very verbal now? My son , his ENglish & chinese, Paper 1 & paper 2 are around 60- 80% . REst of it are the Oral, Class presentation, Lang Du & Group work. Oh ya and the class weekly test ( for chinese)
What i trying to say is that .... Kids now are very poor thing . cos they are suppose to have strong academic as well as verbal.
SO, learn thru play offer great verbal presentation speaking skill
while academic more to writting etc
SO till now really in a :? suitation
who know, MOE might change their mind when my 3rd reach P1.
what about your DD & DS? how are they coping ?

shn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hihikitty » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 am

I would think for up to K2, building the child interest in the subject is important. Learning through play also help build the child other skills. Learning through play would be a better strategy.

However, in SG environment, its probably good to gradually accustom the kids with more academic learning starting K2. When my daughter goes into P1 she got a culture shock. Learning and classroom culture is so different from a pre-school days.

hihikitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby happydaddy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 am

hihikitty wrote:I would think for up to K2, building the child interest in the subject is important. Learning through play also help build the child other skills. Learning through play would be a better strategy.

However, in SG environment, its probably good to gradually accustom the kids with more academic learning starting K2. When my daughter goes into P1 she got a culture shock. Learning and classroom culture is so different from a pre-school days.

I strongly believe learning thru play is a flop. Imagine, if you dun focus on academic, you will have a hard time asking yr kids to sit down and study or do their homework. The attention span is very short....

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yong HL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 am

happydaddy wrote:
hihikitty wrote:I would think for up to K2, building the child interest in the subject is important. Learning through play also help build the child other skills. Learning through play would be a better strategy.

I strongly believe learning thru play is a flop. Imagine, if you dun focus on academic, you will have a hard time asking yr kids to sit down and study or do their homework. The attention span is very short....

Agree with hihikitty & happydaddy, but i am more kiasu - better send kids to academic based curriculum from K1 onwards. My daughter was previously from a kindergarten focusing not so much on p1 preparation. She didnt learn han yu pin yin in school and the math/english are really easy. Good thing i sent her for enrichment class for chinese while the other 2 subjects i taught myself.. Now at least she can handle 1st term of P1 else i think i will :cry:

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CMF » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

shn wrote:?... anyone whom had send kids to learn thru play like ju Gabriel, shaw , chiltern, ossdesy, would like to share your views when your kids entered p1??? Thanks

My DS attended one of the above stated kidney - "learning thru play". Glad to share that he coped extremely well at P1. Excelled academically and socially had no problems managing & settling in too. Heard similar instances of his K2 classmates who went on to different primary schools.

Agree that his kindy curriculum was skewed towards "learning thru play", however I found it was also thorough enough to encompass the academic aspects towards preparing for P1. What I especially liked in the curriculum was the building of the kids' skills & confidence in speaking well and articulating their thoughts etc. There was a lot of emphasis on independence, interacting with others etc, which I believe served the kids well in their new primary school environment.

At the end of the day, I guess a lot also depends on the temperament of each individual child, and what sort of learning environment will bring out the best in him/her. For my DS I would say the "learning thru play" curriculum suited him v well.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:11 pm

I sent my dd to a academic based private pre-school where they have spelling, project based work and class presentation etc during K1/K2. My dd can cope with her P1/P2 work with no problem. With the current education system in SG and most parents' mindset, going to P1 is no longer to learn from scratch and gets marginal marks but to score with flying colours!!!

Building a strong foundation during K1/K2 is very important to prepare them for P1/P2. When they can do well during P1/P2 they feel motivated and a sense of achievement. This motivation is priceless and critical when they move up further. I hope this motivation will continue in her upper primary.

I don't see any reason why we should leave this to chance and play catch up later on. A child may be demotivated because of lack of preparation and this might lead to lose of interest in school work.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Darkcoco » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 am

KSP wrote:I sent my dd to a academic based private pre-school where they have spelling, project based work and class presentation etc during K1/K2. My dd can cope with her P1/P2 work with no problem. With the current education system in SG and most parents' mindset, going to P1 is no longer to learn from scratch and gets marginal marks but to score with flying colours!!!

Building a strong foundation during K1/K2 is very important to prepare them for P1/P2. When they can do well during P1/P2 they feel motivated and a sense of achievement. This motivation is priceless and critical when they move up further. I hope this motivation will continue in her upper primary.

I don't see any reason why we should leave this to chance and play catch up later on. A child may be demotivated because of lack of preparation and this might lead to lose of interest in school work.

Hello KaisuGrand MasterII,

Wouls you mind to share which preschool did your children went? Beceause I am facing problem finding a well-balanced preschool.

Appreciate it. :)

Darkcoco
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imp75 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 am

I am not sure if preschool is a major contributor to kids coping well in P1. I had this conversation with my hubby several years ago when my gal was in PCF and there was no homework, no projects, no feedback and I don't even know what she learned or did. We discussed about changing preschools like what all kiasu parents would have thought of but due to convenience (maybe we are not so kiasu after all) we decided to continue her in PCF but we made sure she had enrichments like phonics and Chinese. we also made her read voraciously. Now that she just started P1 in CFS, I am glad to see that she can do her maths without coaching and English spelling with one try. although she is not as good in Chinese, that is within my expectations because of our environment. What I am trying to say is, preschool is not all that matters. A lot of how kids are coping in P1 is also dependent on how attentive they are in class and whether they can understand or absorb what the teacher taught?

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care