Kindy registration for babies born late in the year??

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Is it fair for babies born late in the year to be left out of his peers?

yes
No votes
no
100%

Total votes : 3

Kindy registration for babies born late in the year??

Postby Cinnacraze » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:40 pm

I have a son who's born in 2009 December. Already I've been told by friends who have 2009 babies that they have registered a kindy for their children so I called up a few to ask about registration... only to be told that simply because my boy is born late in the year, they suggest that he don't take part in the 2012 intake. (they said they accept 2009 babies up to Oct)

That's not fair right? One kindy even suggested that I should try to register for him next yr so that he can join the kindy in the later part of the year. Now my question is this: If he has to join a class that has already started.. wouldn't it be stressful for him? Everyone has made friends in the class and he's all new. And everyone has learnt a thing or two or a song or two that everyone's singing and he doesn't know how to sing along.

AND... what are the chances of a vacancy in the middle of the year when a class is already filled up?

Anyone with year end babies who have the same problem? I'm really frustrated about this. It's really not fair and I don't wanna end up having to put my son in some left over kindy just because it has vacancies later in the the part of the 2012 year.

Cinnacraze
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby littlehelper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 am

In kindy do they have such a rule?
Well i think if they do they should have separate registration and classes if they are going by month and not by year.
If they do that i think it's quite fair and it's also for the child's benefit.
Kids below 5 vary alot.Every month they change a great deal therefore if there were to be 2 classes it would be great.
If not, it's really up to the parents if they want to let the kids join and i don't think the school should stop you from registering.
Unless like playgroup...

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Kindy registration for babies born late in the year??

Postby teh_oh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 am

Cinnacraze wrote:I have a son who's born in 2009 December. Already I've been told by friends who have 2009 babies that they have registered a kindy for their children so I called up a few to ask about registration... only to be told that simply because my boy is born late in the year, they suggest that he don't take part in the 2012 intake. (they said they accept 2009 babies up to Oct)

That's not fair right? One kindy even suggested that I should try to register for him next yr so that he can join the kindy in the later part of the year. Now my question is this: If he has to join a class that has already started.. wouldn't it be stressful for him? Everyone has made friends in the class and he's all new. And everyone has learnt a thing or two or a song or two that everyone's singing and he doesn't know how to sing along.

AND... what are the chances of a vacancy in the middle of the year when a class is already filled up?

Anyone with year end babies who have the same problem? I'm really frustrated about this. It's really not fair and I don't wanna end up having to put my son in some left over kindy just because it has vacancies later in the the part of the 2012 year.

Hi,
Not all kindy have this type of ruling. I'm wondering if you are referring to certain kindy's intake for Pre-Nursery Students. If yes, yes; they (usually/may) have different intake dates for children born in different time of the year. This is because some can only take in (according to their kindy's policy) students that are 30mths and older for their PreNursery classes. This is what happened to my child previously. He started school in July while his peers of the same year started school in the beginning of the year. To ensure that the centers still have vacancy in the middle of the year, you may wish to check if they allowed you to put a non-refundable deposit down now in order to secure a place (some schools do practice this, although I believe that it is up to the management to decide if they are profit driven). To add, some schools have a bigger teacher:student ratio for N2 students compared to N1 students and/or they may open up one more class for N2 level, hence they may encourage parents with children born in the yearend to register for N2 level instead of N1.
Do not be unduly worried about your child not catching up if he joins the class later. By the time he goes onto K1/2, you won't know the difference.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 pm

I have a year-end baby too and I intend to put her in a playgroup at a childcare centre this year (18mths) instead of a kindy. You can opt to do this first then change over to the kindy in 2012 if preferred. If the kindy has no vacancy, just stay with the childcare. Childcare centres provide good education too.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care