About Child Care fee

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

About Child Care fee

Postby btbf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi all,

I like to share my view/observation on the topic after recent search for a child care centre. This may provide some forumer with some basic idea why some centres charges more than others. I only list those obvious items that can be easily compared.

Each item should be in the context of "if everything is the same".

1) Teacher to child ratio
Lower ratio will require more teachers and as such the operating cost will be higher -> higher fee.

2) Classroom based vs open concept
Centre with class room based concept likely will charge more as it required more space.

3) Function / multi purpose room
Centre with such facility will increase the cost.

4) Playground
Those with dedicate playground will increase the cost.

5) Air-con
Those with air-con will increase the cost.

6) Enrichment Programme
Some centres include enrichment as part of their package while some need to be paid for. Paying for such enrichment will add up quite a bit.

Some other items:
1) Hidden cost (e.g. stationary)
2) Centre location that is convenience will save you time and money.
3) Environment of the centre surrounding (e.g. quiet, near noisy road etc)

Hope you find the info useful.

btbf
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby happydaddy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 am

rental and staff cost are high enough to kill the centre.

landed CC are the most vulnerable to rental. Most of the CC are in the red. if the rental continue to go up, within a few yrs, all CC in landed should be gone.

Commercial even worst. Most of the landlord unwilling to allocated a large area for CC. They prefer to subdivide the area for higher yield. Forcing those commercial CC to have smaller area.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby arielle08 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:15 pm

yes, happydaddy is right.

Base on the newspaper article today, seems that most childcare will start another round of fee increase again!
And some of the schools had already implemented.

Let's pray hard that the budget release tomorrow will give us more subsidy.
How to have more kids if such education cost are increasing endlessly! :x

arielle08
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Funz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Is the childcare fee in Singapore really that expensive?

According to the papers today, average childcare fee is $776 (I think). After subsidy, it's $476/mth. Break it down further, it is about $20/day or <$2/hr

$20/day includes 3 meals, (breakfast, lunch and tea), caregiving and curriculum.

Over and above that, parents can use their baby bonus to pay the fees. Govt match up to $6000 for the 1st 2 kids. So that subsidises the childcare fees even further.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby happydaddy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 pm

if those household earn only 2000.. after CPF, 1600... after deduct housing installment n utility bill $1200, after deduct food $900, after deduct misc like insurance transport expenses left $300... if only 1 kid go childcare, after all the rebate, practically no saving at all.. End up slogging yourself for life with no $$ at all....

no $$ to go out shopping enjoy life.... if no $$ go childcare, 1 person need to stay at home to take care of the kid... then the household income will drop further...

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby leo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 pm

arielle08 wrote:yes, happydaddy is right.

Base on the newspaper article today, seems that most childcare will start another round of fee increase again!
And some of the schools had already implemented.
:x

My DD's cc has increased the fees twice in < 1.5 years!

Things will slightly improved after she goes to primary school but still not much cos we have to pay for student care (limited choice) and school fees.

Sigh!

leo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Anna Ng » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Furthermore the subsidy is only for those working mother and who got CPF contribution. This is the reason why i not afford to resign, otherwise i will loss my income, loss the subsidy and loss the working mother relief etc

Anna Ng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby arielle08 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Increase twice within 1.5 yrs is ridiculous??!!
Now they will have more reasons to increase since ALL the childcares are increasing fees.

And for certain childcare, the fees you paid are not everything.
Have to top up for enrichment, and if you dont. your kid may be the only one sitting there doing nothing.
School buses services are not cheap too.

And inflation is 4% this year! Gosh! Everything is increasing price.
COE for cars, Maid's salary, childcare fees... :cry:

arielle08
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby btbf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

My child centre also increase fee by around 15% last year. The explanation was higher staff cost (quite high tunrover with at least 1 new teacher every 1-1.5 mth) and HDB increase the rental (centre is at ground flat of HDB flat).

From today paper, some points noted that has short-medium impact on fee:
1) Increase the qualification of teachers
Higher qualified people demand higher pay. It also shut the door for experience but no qualification people.

2) Open too many centres too fast
High demand for teacher when the supply is low. This may overall lower the quality of most centres. It may be easy to retain a few good staff but quite difficult to retain most as there is some much opportunity.

Some in the near term, parents may see higher fee, lower quality, but more choices.

btbf
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby happydaddy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 am

btbf wrote:My child centre also increase fee by around 15% last year. The explanation was higher staff cost (quite high tunrover with at least 1 new teacher every 1-1.5 mth) and HDB increase the rental (centre is at ground flat of HDB flat).

From today paper, some points noted that has short-medium impact on fee:
1) Increase the qualification of teachers
Higher qualified people demand higher pay. It also shut the door for experience but no qualification people.

2) Open too many centres too fast
High demand for teacher when the supply is low. This may overall lower the quality of most centres. It may be easy to retain a few good staff but quite difficult to retain most as there is some much opportunity.

Some in the near term, parents may see higher fee, lower quality, but more choices.

Local CC teachers demand high pay yet produce lousy quality. This led to many centre getting foreigner, 2 yrs contract, at least the turnover is low.

Local CC teachers lagi worst. MC rate very high (probably go internview). And the operator cannot do anything and they are under the mercy of the teachers.

Recently foreign worker levy and S pass increase will result higher cost. Soon, $1k childcare will be a norm.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care