Church kindergarten but non christian?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Church kindergarten but non christian?

Postby coccomie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:53 pm

I am thinking of letting my dd go church kindergarten as I heard kindy is better than CC (she is in half day cc with Sparkletots). Like kindy teach better english than cc. Is it true?

Also both dh and I are Nonchristian, we are thinking if they will be taught with bible teaching as well?

Any advice? :thankyou:

coccomie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Church kindergarten but non christian?

Postby janet88 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:57 pm

coccomie wrote:I am thinking of letting my dd go church kindergarten as I heard kindy is better than CC (she is in half day cc with Sparkletots). Like kindy teach better english than cc. Is it true?

Also both dh and I are Nonchristian, we are thinking if they will be taught with bible teaching as well?

Any advice? :thankyou:

I am not sure about other kindergartens but my kids attended Christian kindy and they were taught Christian songs...they even prayed before eating in school. We are ok that and they both know we are not Christians. Older kid is in P5 and attending a Christian primary school while daughter is in P1 in a convent school.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ANobleNerd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Truthfully, I doubt that any church kindergarten programme would have its Christian elements of praise singing, prayer or Bible stories cut out.

After all, the church would have contributed to the running cost of the kindergarten in some manner, and the members of the church with children in the kindy would expect the kindergarten to add Christian elements in order to provide some spiritual teaching to their children.

That said, the essence of the church kindergarten is the values imparted through the very activities that makes the church kindy a church kindy. Take those elements away, and it wouldn't be a church kindy, would it? :wink:

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wildboys » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Both my kids attended/is attending a church kindy. For my kids' kindy, during assembly time, the principal/teachers will sing kids' christian songs (which I heard a few times, they are actually quite nice to me hehe), read bible stories, talk about christian values, and also prayed before meals (but the praying is not those very solemn type that we may see on TV, but more "kiddish" way, and signing off with "amen" of course). However there seemed to be nothing "christian" during "formal" lesson time (I think moe also won't allow? correct me if wrong).

We are non-christians too. We are prepared that they come back and talked/asked about christian stuffs or sings christian songs.... at one point one of them even asked us to pray before meals (but we did not show much reactions and just chatted with him about the practice in school, and he didn't insist about it anymore). So if you will be bothered by such possibilities, then you may have to reconsider your choice.

I have not heard about English teachers are better in church kindy... and I find it not necessary so... :wink:

wildboys
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby coccomie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 pm

wildboys, what make you place your kids in church kindergarten?

My dd is in half day CC, I find that although it is half day, the lesson is only 2hr, so i am thinking if a 3hr kindy will be better?

coccomie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Vodkababy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 pm

i am a non christian too but had enrolled my child in a church kindergarten recently starting next year.

The principal had assured that though bible study is incorporated in the curriculum, howwever they do not enforce the child to convert to Christian.

Think most church kindy operates on 3 hour basis which should suit your timing.

Vodkababy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Em » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 am

I attended Christian kindy, Christian primary school, 3 years of Christian secondary school, Christian JC. I am not a Christian, and doubt I ever will be. Married one though!

Em
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby laughingcat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 am

coccomie wrote:I am thinking of letting my dd go church kindergarten as I heard kindy is better than CC (she is in half day cc with Sparkletots). Like kindy teach better english than cc. Is it true?

Not true. Good English must cultivated both from good educator and family as well. It is a big misconception to leave it to chance with the school; be it CC or Kindy.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Not true. Good English must be cultivated both from good educator and family as well. It is a big misconception to leave it to chance with the school; be it CC or Kindy.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

*delete* double post

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care