PROBLEM WITH TEACHING MY GAL HOW TO READ

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

PROBLEM WITH TEACHING MY GAL HOW TO READ

Postby concern_mum » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 am

hi, anybody can help me? i have problem teaching my 5 yrs old girl how to read independently. I read the Sam and Anna book 1 reader to her since last year and till now she still could not recognise a single word.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: PROBLEM WITH TEACHING MY GAL HOW TO READ

Postby laughingcat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Does your gal knows phonics?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern_mum » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 am

she does not know phonic. Must i start off by sending her for phonic class?

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gaznat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 pm

you can refer to this website where a mum shares with how she teaches her dd and ds to read and write :smile: http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/
pretty useful i feel
if i'm not wrong, she's also in this forum :smile:

gaznat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jamespon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 am

Why not send you girl to some language enrichment centres in Singapore? They have professional maybe can solve your problem .

jamespon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wishababy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am

i believe reading is best learn thru phonics way.

wishababy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby linden2000 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am

Have you tried the Peter and Jane series? Found it useful to kickstart reading.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meremortal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:12 pm

My DS has been reading independently since before he was three. There's only two things we did:
1. Flash cards before he was 1.
2. Reading to him every night since he was 4 months.

I realise a lot of his reading skills come from his vast ability to memorise. But also, phonics is key. We never sent him to phonics classes, but his Montessori school teaches phonics.

To reinforce this learning at home, when you read stories at night, point out the words and trace them with your finger as you read.

That way, he will recognise the words and somewhere in his brain, figure out how each letter forms the word and the sound.

He can now "teach" himself to read words he has never seen before by using this technique.

I am constantly amazed.

Also, we are lazy parents, not so kiasu as some here! So it can be done, but we do stick religiously to story reading every night.

It also helps that you yourself know how to read properly. I've seen too many Singaporean parents with a poor grasp of the English language try to read to their kids, and screw up the learning process because they themselves have poor language skills.

Maybe sending your kid to phonics classes will be beneficial in those cases, but ensure that the teachers in those classes can speak English properly too!

meremortal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Carolina » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:01 pm

My sis told me that phonics is the best way to go. Her elder boy who will be going to P6 next year, never have any problems with spelling, etc., because she sent him to phonics classes when he was in nursery and kindergarten. According to her, since P1 until now he just needs to do a simple & quick revision the night before his spelling tests & he can get full marks unless he makes careless mistakes.

Her friend's daughter, on the other hand, did not learn phonics initially & struggled really badly in primary school until around P4, when her parents finally took my sis' advice & send the girl to phonics classes. Within 3 months, all the struggles with spelling and reading are gone.

Not sure how true all these are, but I guess no harm in giving it a try. My boy was already playing phonics toys since he was a baby & he's learning phonics in school since he started childcare 3 months ago when he turned 2. Given that he's only a little more than 2, I don't expect much, so am still waiting to see the progress in the next 2 years...

Carolina
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Yup, I have the same experience as Carolina's sis. My elder boy only went for phonics class for a year. We stopped the phonics class after he picked up the skill and he could read on his own. No problems with English spelling and dictation at primary level. He reads quite well and I only need to correct him for difficult sight words occasionally.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care