Help!!! Biting case in child care

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Help!!! Biting case in child care

Postby Sweetzinc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 am

Hi mummies!! need your advice on my case.

My child has a classmate who keeps on going round to bite her classmates. Within 2 months of her stay there, my girl got bitten 4 times! First time was on the hand, ok i close one eye. 2nd time was on the face and it was a very very very bad bite! the bruise is like a size of a 50c coin and in fact the mark is still on the face (v lightly) after a period of 1 month + !! We even brought her to the doctor to get some report and claims.. My husband and I are very disappointed in how the Principal and management handle this problem.

after the 2nd time, the P told me that they suspected the girl was teething and keeps offering her biscuits so hopefully that can curb her urge to bite..

then the 3rd time it happened again! this time it was still on the same side of the cheek! the bite was not as bad as the 2nd time but STILL, it was a bite! The P told us that they will pay special attention to the girl and hope that could prevent it from happening again.

Then a new teacher joined the school.. one day i received their call again.. i know no good news .. my girl got bitten again on the face!! this is the 4th time!!!! My tone to the new teacher was not v friendly and i asked if the P has told her about this biter in class. She said yes. But when i questioned the P, she apologise to me saying that she had overlooked. She told me that they do not want to "label" this girl as she has already has alot of nicknames in school due to her behaviour.

We requested to talk to the dad of the child but the P and mgt advise not to as the dad is quite hostile and unfriendly type of person. kinda beng beng type..

Btw the biting does not happen during a fight or what.. the girl bites because it's a kind of affection and to show that she love that particular child. I feel that the parent is also not doing a good job in educating the child what is right and wrong.

Husband and I are exploring to withdraw her from this centre, and transfer to another centre. Because after the 4th incident, the P still tell me that they will now monitor closely and get a expert to come to monitor why the girl is behaving like this.. i feel that they are just "fu yan" me..

So if the girl is not leaving, i'll take my girl out. coz i'm very sure such incident will definitely happen again! it's just a matter of time... :(:(:(

Sweetzinc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help!!! Biting case in child care

Postby laughingcat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:10 pm

OMG! 4 times! this is really too much and the thing is a gal leh. I know how you feel.

My DS2 is a biter himself and as a parent, we will quickly apologise to the victim and victim's parents as well. Discipline DS2 not to bite again and seriously monitor him for weeks. My DS2 also kena bitten as well but we receive no apology from the other parent coz they are ah moh. But we didn't fret as we continue to monitor and also we believe the CC mgmt is good. Also the teachers dotes on DS2 alot.

Anyway in both my cases, the teachers and principal will take care of this seriously and did monitor and make sure that this does not happen again.

I would advise you to read this thread http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 34&t=21455. A very insightful sharing by another forumer - insiders.

Nonetheless if I were you, I will move out of the CC. Not because of the biter but the way the CC manage is suck. The child is too young to understand and hence cannot fault the child. But the mgmt is old enough and experience enough to handle this. Coz if I have a DD, I wouldn't want her to be bitten more than 2 times on the face. My heart will be very pain.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:59 pm

My boy was bitten before. I spoke to the parents (hung around until they came to pick up their kid) and all the parents did was to smile and say that the boy also bites them at home and they walked away without an apology! My boy's bite was quite serious and he had to take antibiotics cos the wound was infected (got pus).

However, the centre my boy was at handled it very well. They actually ensured that the boy was beside a teacher the whole time (they hold his hand). He even bit the teachers & cleaning/cooking lady!

But his biting stopped after a while, so the teachers allowed him to roam around (but watched very carefully). No more biting incidents after that.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:15 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:My boy was bitten before. I spoke to the parents (hung around until they came to pick up their kid) and all the parents did was to smile and say that the boy also bites them at home and they walked away without an apology! My boy's bite was quite serious and he had to take antibiotics cos the wound was infected (got pus).

Got pus! OMG! :yikes: That is bad. You should inform the biter's parent about it.

Some parents eh....don't know whether they are ignorant or purely being rude. I wonder with such parent, how much the child is learning from them. I can't help to think that such child is condemn with not much proper upbringing. I am just simply pissed with such parents around. :nunchuk:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CHEK » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:32 am

yes.. we get biting cases now & then in school.. It is really not easy to prevent it.. even though the class is small.. i have witnessed the child performed his "deed" in 1 sec and the teacher stop him but the damage has been done..

Most of the time, the kids are too young to understand... so we apologise to the parents and take reinforcement suggestions to the parents, and at our end, we increase our level of attention towards the particular child to prevent such unpleasant incident again and reinforce that this action is wrong...

Most of the time, we do not refer the bitten child's parents to the biter's parents but we suggest that the parents work with us to educate the child :>

If a particular child keeps getting bitten, sometimes i suggest to switch the child to another group with the parent's approval.. (normally a more sensible PG group tt has no record of such incidents)

Our PG class has only a few groups, so most of the teachers know the children well.. and the children mixed together during some of the common activities..

so far, it has work quite well..

CHEK
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Sweetzinc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:53 am

Actually for my case is kinda special...

i'm a staff of the school :skeptical: so i cant act as a parent!!! :(
i'm looking for other schools around my work place liao.. coz this place is fully aircon and it's not very healthy for my girl too.. she's been falling sick once every fortnightly! :(

Sweetzinc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Sweetzinc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am

mrswongtuition wrote:My boy was bitten before. I spoke to the parents (hung around until they came to pick up their kid) and all the parents did was to smile and say that the boy also bites them at home and they walked away without an apology! My boy's bite was quite serious and he had to take antibiotics cos the wound was infected (got pus).

However, the centre my boy was at handled it very well. They actually ensured that the boy was beside a teacher the whole time (they hold his hand). He even bit the teachers & cleaning/cooking lady!

But his biting stopped after a while, so the teachers allowed him to roam around (but watched very carefully). No more biting incidents after that.

wah pus!!! very bad lo!! at least the teachers handled quite well.. i'm not satisfied with the way my centre handled .. but i can only swallow my unhappiness.. sigh

Sweetzinc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care