Need help with an active boy

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Need help with an active boy

Postby pinkitty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:39 pm

My 19 mth old boy is draining all our energy .. with him running ard the home.. We tried sending him to a playgroup.. hoping that he will learn some stuff but still... hmm... very energetic.. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience.. The teachers at the playground don't really care so just let him run around the class..

I am wondering if there's any gd enrichment classes out there that I can bring him on a weekend.

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Need help with an active boy

Postby littlehelper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:56 pm

send him for an enrichment class that's more engaging-one that allows him to run around :) eg kindermusik i think they get to move around with the instruments and dance?

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pinkitty » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:10 am

Haha. Hope the teachers can have enough energy to run with him

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sssdarlings » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

When I realized how kinesthetic my youngest dd was, we used to take him to parks- HOrt Park is his fave and Botanic gardens for all that running and climbing. As long as he has an outlet to expend that energy, and no reason to get bored, he usually respects authority in class. He is now 6,s still fidgety but more manageable.

sssdarlings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sssdarlings » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:26 am

Maybe this post/ blog will give more ideas to keep the energetic one happily occupied-

http://childhood101.com/2011/08/dance-c ... schoolers/

sssdarlings
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkitty » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions.. we are now trying out the part of bringing him to the parks to run ard but the haze is not helping... sigh...

wondering how's your experience with kindermusik

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby libran269 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:09 am

My DD was like this. Super energetic. Missing playground durings rains was our worst nightmare..Apart from preschool, put her in enrichment classes and often took her to indoor playarea during the rainy days.

libran269
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Autism Solution » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:17 am

You may also want to check whether he has any symptoms of ADHD - hyperactivity. 1 in 20 children have some symptoms of it. It is best to know about it earlier rather than later since it has an effect on subsequent studies, etc.

Autism Solution
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:56 pm

pinkitty wrote:My 19 mth old boy is draining all our energy .. with him running ard the home.. We tried sending him to a playgroup.. hoping that he will learn some stuff but still... hmm... very energetic.. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience.. The teachers at the playground don't really care so just let him run around the class..

I am wondering if there's any gd enrichment classes out there that I can bring him on a weekend.

unless you can find a playgroup with very nice teachers, then you should just keep him at home and try to occupy him. i thought about tumbletots previously, but settle for free playground downstairs instead :wink:
my active son started N1 at 3.5yo and already received many 'feedback' of his behaviour.
he is much better now at K1 and now the teachers commented that him being able to finish his work fast (and correct) and ability to absorb fast is due to his active brain. :sweat:
if you are able to spend time with him, plan out a series of activities in 10-15min pockets. make a schedule for yourself and keep the routine..a routine so that the kid can thrive in the familiar schedule. introduce reading/read to the kid. colourful picture books/lift a flap books to entertain itchy fingers. my boy used to climb library shelves when he was younger. now he sits quietly in the library to read his books (but i have to constantly replenish his stack of books as he usually just flips and sees the pictures, only pause to read if he is interested).
have paper around, crayons for craftwork.
have manipulatives like blocks or playdoh.
a bit of flashcards is also fun (if you don't mind your kid chewing, misplacing it etc).
i set up a shelf fill with such stuff so that my boy has access to it in his own time, so when i am tired, he can access it by himself.
at the end of the day, as the kid is full of energy, you can train him/her to pack up the stuff too.

:) all the best.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CutieQiQi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Same problem too :( My 20mth old gal is so active that i think there's not a moment when she could sit still. Feel so tired chasing after her all the time, shopping is out of the question with her around cos that'd become a hide & seek game! lol I have sent her for enrichment class on weekend but she doesn't like it. Am searching for other school at the moment too.

CutieQiQi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care