Does your child's kindergarten give Homework?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Does your child's kindergarten give Homework?

Postby clioclio » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:47 pm

hello kiasu parents,
just want to ask if at which level does your child's preschool/childcare gives out homework ? Is it very prevalent in the first place that preschoolers are given homework?
My daughter is in Nursery in a church kindy in Seng kang and they donot give homework even at k1 or k2 level. We are moving house soon and i am thinking of enroling my 2 girls in another church kindy near our new plce.
I called to enquire abt their curriculum and again they too say they do not give homework to K1 or k2 pupils.

If your child's preschool does give out HW, how is it like? Worksheets or pages of workbook to complete or ...?? Thanks for enlightening me. :please:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Does your child's kindergarten give Homework?

Postby smartmummy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi!
My DD in K1 in a preschool. She has 4 EL and 3 MT splling a week.She has one A3 page of handwriting homework for a week.Personally, I feel is good.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 pm

My DS's kindergarten did handout homework about once a month, meant to let parents to go through the work with their child and have a better understanding of their child's progress & ability.

We told the teacher that we preferred not to have homework. After that, she let DS completes all the work in class.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:25 am

My ds2's church kindy gives out homework. He is in K1.
Personally, i like it because they are very managable.
Spelling and Tingxie on alternate week (5-8words each).
Once a week have English tracing and MT tracing. 1 page each. Never on the same day.
Before long weekends or holidays, will have extra 1-2 page activities (eg matching, fill in the blanks etc).

Ds1 was in a different Kindergarten 4yrs ago. No homework. I just supplement with assessment at home. On hindsight, feel that the school should enforce and highlight the importance that tracing activities are to train motorskills (now ds1's handwriting is bad). And it trains discipline too. My ds2 will do his school work in auto mode after we established a routine and after being made to erase and rewrite, he now ensures he write well the first round to avoid repeating that activity.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby e3nity » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 pm

DS CC gives Home Activites for parents to work with the child 1-2 times a month.. Every week DS has 5 spelling words and 6 tingxie words/han yu pin ying to learn.. other than those, he don't hav any homework.. Instead i'll make sure he do a page or 2 english or maths assessment daily..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

For my kindy, only K2 have homework, like spelling, and some worksheets. All work are done in school. Her kindy is 4hrs.

The N1-K2 will have a storybook to take home everywk.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 pm

I've a K2. She is given homework on friday and is supposed to bring back on monday. So far the worksheets are about filling in the blanks and recently, it's about singular and plural. They have weekly EL spelling.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby clioclio » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:57 pm

thanks for the feedback.. maybe i should also reinforce with worksheets/assessment for my DD at home too..

But can i just ask, is it too'Kiasu' to write in the Comms book what lesson/topic the kids are doing for the week so that i can complement with assessment ofthe same topic? Paiseh leh, like so kiasu likedat. :oops:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am

- Shalom church kindergarten (Pasir Ris) give homework + school holiday assignments too (contents in depth). :lol:

- Barker road church kindergarten also give homework assignments.

- Newton church kindergarten also give homework on Friday, supervised by parents.

inside the child's green bag contains homework for English, Maths, Chinese. Come Monday submit back to form teachers to mark.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 am

Magdalene catholic kindergarten also give homework, in gentle portion age appropriate. :lol:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care