Pre-school fees

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Pre-school fees

Postby nicolenonis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I am actually curious about parents view on present pre-school fees. In the past it used to be more affordable. Now when i look at the prices, it cost nearly $2000.00 per term and that is like 4 months right? So I will be paying lets say... $6000.00 per year. Just a rough guage.

May i ask what are some of your views on this topic?

Would you spend that amount on pre-school? Or do you think somewhere less expensive would be good enough and that these expensive one are just overcharging? (Like how branded goods are almost earning 100% profit)

Hornestly, I would send my kids to the $2000.00 pre-school. Curriculums in those Pre-school seems good. Though of course I would not totally depend on school to bring up my young precious :)

Parents love their kids and would definitely want to be very sure of how well your precious babies are taken care of while you are away.

I would just like to know what are some parents opinions on this matter :)

nicolenonis
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Pre-school fees

Postby kaitlynangelica » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I am a firm believer of pre-school education. As long as budget is not an issue, i would spend. I believe a good preschool education will help the child to do better later on in primary school.

The other thing you may consider is sending to a cheaper pre-school and then saving money for enrichment like Berries or I Can Read.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ConcernedDaddy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Honestly, the top range "premium" schools are way over-charging. It doesnt sound right for some pre-school fees to be 20K or more per year (SG univeristy fees??). But again, why shouldn't their owners do so since Singaporean parents "want the best" for the kids and the schools have ever growing waiting lists? They can always use rentals or better teachers/curriculum as an excuse to charge 2K a month (who really knows?).

I believe pre-school education is very important. I am definitely prepared to pay more versus the entry-level PCF and NTUCs (no offense intended), but not exorbitant and ever-increasing amounts. So the mid-range/value-for-money better schools is the maximum (<1K) I would personally go. Any more, i think the fees just go to fatten the operators' pockets.

ConcernedDaddy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Concerned daddy,

i agree with you. I think the maximum I am willing to pay a month is $700. Anymore than that is ridiculous.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phtthp » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 am

my budget maximum for preschool is $350 - $550 range per month.

not anything more ... eg: paying for v expensive high end preschools, where they hire expensive English speaking teachers from foreign countries, to teach in preschools.

besides, how much can a kid absorb within 3 hrs in most kindy, even if pay high end preschool fees ?

the rest, subsitute with Kumon will do.
Kumon reinforces daily homework around 20 mins per day, teaches self discipline - compared to just once a week kind of enrichment (do not expect a miracle to happen if your child attend only once a week enrichment, and then don't practise any language, speech for the remaining 6 days in a week ?).
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow Crystal » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:15 am

kaitlynangelica wrote:I am a firm believer of pre-school education. As long as budget is not an issue, i would spend. I believe a good preschool education will help the child to do better later on in primary school.

The other thing you may consider is sending to a cheaper pre-school and then saving money for enrichment like Berries or I Can Read.

I totally agree that good pre school is important. However, it need not be the high end ie expensive preschools. From the examples of the outstanding students I see with excellent primary school and PSLE results, very few were from high end pre schools. In fact have seen many inverse correlation cases ie those who go high end preschools not adjusting well to local school system and ending with mediocre if not below average primary school results. IMHO, an averagely priced pre school with a reasonable program will do - don't stretch your budget for expensive pre schools. Seen too many cases to conclude that an expensive pre school education does not translate to excellent primary school results. Many other variables kick in by primary school time to determine eventual results. Just my own personal view, don't flame me :pokeeye: - :siam:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:41 am

hi Snow Crystal,

dun worry ... no one will throw stones at you, because what you said is the truth.

I have friends and relatives working in the education sector. They said the same thing as you ... some parents think that by sending kids to high end very expensive premium pre-schools will give their children an early headstart. However it's not true. What you had said above was correct.

whether a child good or not later part of his education life depends on several other factors. One of the important one is the family upbringing home values that you teach your child everyday at home.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 am

So whats an averagely priced pre-school?

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 am

We had that consideration to send the child to kinderland S$430 per month or pat's school house which cost around $1k+ per month.

Hubby asked me if I send her to pat's schoolhouse, can I cut down on all the enrichment????

In the end, I came to a conclusion that I would continue to send my child to kinderland but at the same time, she attends enrichment classes that are taught by the subject matters expert (SME). Eg. maths - enopi, chinese - molin, english - lcentral (by native speakers). I would prefer SME rather than under 1 roof solution.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Snow Crystal » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am

phtthp wrote:hi Snow Crystal,

dun worry ... no one will throw stones at you, because what you said is the truth.

I have friends and relatives working in the education sector. They said the same thing as you ... some parents think that by sending kids to high end very expensive premium pre-schools will give their children an early headstart. However it's not true. What you had said above was correct.

whether a child good or not later part of his education life depends on several other factors. One of the important one is the family upbringing home values that you teach your child everyday at home.

Morning. Yes, agree. I had a misconception last time that kids from high end pre school will surely emerge way ahead in the primary school race. However, after journeying through the primary school system, I am surprised that it's not entirely the case. So hope to share with fellow KSPs not to fret if you can't afford high end pre school fees and not to spread your resources thin at such an early stage. :moneyflies:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care