Purple train or the word learning centre?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Purple train or the word learning centre?

Postby Sunnoy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Mummies,

Would you like to seek your advice on the playgroup programme for Purple train - civic centre or the word learning centre - civic centre. I plan to send my boy there beginning of next year, that time he is around 2 years old. For both programme, they need to do an assessment before intake.

1. Purple train: Montessori approach, $600 per mth, every day 3 hrs.
i see a lot of ppl disscussed abt it here, and seems basically not bad programme, downside is maybe the teacher turnover there too high and space a bit crowded.

2. the word: $680 per mth, every day 2.5hrs.
I have talked with teacher inside, the teacher is nice, and the environment and classroom is a bit more spacious, and nice decoration :)But I hardly see any post discuss abt it here, wondering anyone have experience there?

If any parents have experience in either one please give me your feedback? thks a lot...

Sunnoy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Purple train or the word learning centre?

Postby Sunnoy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Just to give an update on the above to share with all parents :)
I brought my boy for assessment for both schools, as they said in principlly they only take 2.5 years old kids, for my son next year January - 2years old, need to do an assessment to see whether he is ready for school or not.

1. Purple train - I talked to the principle and one of the teacher do the assessment for him
1) to sit down with him and give him two bowls to see whether he can use the scoop to transfer the things from on to another, my son follow the instruction and do it quite well, and the teachers attitude is very nice and caring.
2) the main concern of the principle for too young kids is the seperation anxiety, so she asked me and daddy to stay outside of the classroom to see how my son interact with the teacher, it turned out that for the whole 20-30 mins when we talked to the principle outside the room, my son didn't care where are we, he was really enjoy playing with the teacher and sit onto the teacher's lap.
3). when we asking the principle that our son focusing span is really short, she said we dun need to worry about this, its very normal for the young kids. Sometimes, teacher talk to them but they dun really look at the teacher or follow the instruction, but it doesn't mean the kids is not listening, actully, the kids still in active listening and absorb the things the teacher teach in their ways.
The result is..the principle think my son is ready for the school, and willing to take him for next January session together with other 2.5 year old kids!

2. The word learning centre: A teacher conduct the assessment - I feel the teacher is a bit strict and looks directive.
1)she talked to him to see his response, say hello and ask what's your name..but my son not responding well, I think because he has not familiar with the teacher yet..
2)she play with him the blocks, shapes, to see whether he can focus on the game and do it well..it turns out that my boy has quite short span on focusing and dun follow the instruction, maybe he is too curious about the new place and all along play the stuffs surrounding him.
Two days later, the school called me and give me the answer is "no", they think my son is not ready for the school, and when i asked them how do they think of my son or what's the specific reason they don't think he is ready...they don't give the answer :(

So, have no doubts, we enrolled for the purple train for next year n I hope this is a right school i choose.

Sunnoy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby princesskaris » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi sunnoy

Do both the schools have outdoor activities? Is it am session for the purple train because I rem enquiring and they offer a pm slot for me which I wasn't too keen.

princesskaris
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mommybumblebee » Thu May 24, 2012 1:58 am

Hi Sunnoy,

How is your son doing in Purple Train? Is the programme good? I'm thinking of sending my son to The Purple Train next year when he is K1. He is currently in Kinderland Nursery class.

mommybumblebee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Puzz...zzle » Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 am

Hi All, :rahrah:
My DD is P3 now. She was with Purple Train since they moved in to Civik Center. Started when she was 2half years old. At that time the school was not that crowded ( without the partition at the entrance) and more space to move around. We were very happy to send DD there, she enjoyed going to school , likes all the teachers as they were very caring and energertic, the lessons were lively. The teachers had changed, so that point you have to find out .But for sure the principle always there to monitor the teachers and the running of center.

My DD learnt very good foundation of maths concept and Eng phonic /reading. So she started reading by herself at very young age at 3half
yrs old. These 2 things help her a lot at the later stage of learning.

The only reason we withdraw her 2nd half of N2 was the Chinese Subject was not main subject there. The foundation and curriculum was not strong. Moreover Montessori Programme usually more hands on, very little /no homework even in k1 k2. Since my DD already known her Maths concept well and can read well, time for us to move on to another school which suit her needs----good Chinece and more accademic approach that slowly prepare her to P1 learning style.

***My friend's son who was in Montessori thru out till K2, cannot cope with P1 work, as there were not much exposed of doing HW or wksheet in pre-sch.

So parents, you should know what your child needs and what you want him/her to learn. Plan and change along the learning journey.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommybumblebee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:24 am

Hi Puzz...zzle,

Thank you so much for the valuable advices. Should i let my son stay in Kinderland for K1 & K2. He has settled down in Kinderland pretty well and always looking forward to school. Do you think the curriculum in Kinderland is more comprehensive compared to Montessori? I love Montessori hands on experiences but at the same time worried if my son will be well prepared for P1 and his chinese needs lots of polishing work. Reading from your post, i guess it is tough for me to send my son to Purple train since their chinese is not emphasized in their curriculum.

Thanks dear.

mommybumblebee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Puzz...zzle » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:06 pm

I personally feel that before K2 still alright to sent to Montessori for good Phonic/ Reading skill and Maths Concept . K2 better to have more formal education system.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care