Gender of preschool teacher

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Male teachers

Post by buds » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Heyya MayKwan,

I don't mind. I've had colleagues, acquaintances and bosses in the
early childhood and enrichment industries who were male. No biggie.
At least for me, cos they were all learned guys who had great passion
for quality education for young children. They do not handle any kiddies
with regards to showering or toileting tho... their assistant teachers are in
charge of that..

As for the 'casual words', it is reali not a matter of gender in my opinion
cause i've came across female staff who were blatantly vulgar and rude.
(IN THE PRESENCE OF CHILDREN at that too!!?) If a person has tendency
to utter vulgarities at whim or is just rude most times is more a case of
personality and individual upbringing... and a lack of professionalism, esp
if coming from education industsry. :shock: Words like 'lame' and 'sux'
are also more of habit words, which children nowadays like to use. :roll:

Being male or female should not be a weighing factor over the efficiency
of a teacher.

Just my honest opinion.

Cheers.

:celebrate:

PS. I think child's teacher needs a visit from the parents.. :wink:
Such issues that makes a parent feel uncomfortable esp with regards to
children's caregiving and the likes, shud quickly be addressed before it
deteriorates. Just pose it as more to a feedback rather than a complaint.

Then, gauge the teacher's response from there..

childbook
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Male teachers

Post by childbook » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:51 am

1. Our society has become very anti-Male in the child care area. If your male, your guilty until proven innocent, unfortunately.

2. If your male, and teaching K-12 or even pre-school, you need to be super paranoid. It's worse in K-5. Parents will automatically think the worse of you. Which is why there are not many male teachers K-5. Paranoid means never having just one female student with you in the room, never hugging a student, not letting them sit on your lap, etc. Even for female teachers these can get you in trouble. My daughter went to a Christian School for K-5, which luckily was very loving and not worried about the liability (my daughter had all female teachers).

3. No sane school in the US would allow a male teacher to have anything to do with bath, etc. issues due to liability. That is what female aids are for. I have seen this in special ed. when I was subbing, there would always be an assistant who got the lousy jobs.

4. Male teachers can be important role models for male students in K-5, especially for families that are single mothers families.

alangolf
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by alangolf » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:16 am

Glad to find this thread. I am thinking of a career switch to childcare. However, being Male is something I accept is kinda disadvantage to guys. But then, being the 'limited edition' probably has it's strength too.

I like to think that males in this industry are driven by passion and chose this after careful considerations. Do give the males a chance KSP :wink:

jumping_gene
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by jumping_gene » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:22 pm

my opinion on this matter is probably less popular, but i actually prefer a childcare/preschool with a male teacher or at least, assistant teachers. this is because i think it's healthy for children to be exposed to both genders during their early years. unfortunately, the early childhood years are usually dominated by females (even at home, babies and small kids spend more time with females). a good male figure in the preschool environment can help balance that out, which is important especially for boys.

schoolpre22
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re:

Post by schoolpre22 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Guest wrote:For Calgary preschool where caregiving is still required and helping in toilet usage is inevitable, female teachers would be more suitable and I would certainly prefer.

I know of student centres run by couples and the hubby usually takes the role of the school bus driver and the running of the preschool centre is left to the wife. i believe it is quite inconvenient for male to operate in a preschool environment or lower primary as the needs of young children can be nitty-gritty and there are too many things to consider before a male teacher or male head can act...makes the role tough.
Hello,

I am looking for female pre school teacher in Sydney,
So can you please suggest me a good preschool teacher??
Thanks in Advance

CalvinS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Gender of preschool teacher

Post by CalvinS » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 pm

I still prefer female teachers for my daughters. I am more comfortable if the teacher is female because I believe that they are more patient and caring than male teachers. And my kids will be more comfortable to ask questions if the teacher is a woman.

kimmy4
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: Gender of preschool teacher

Post by kimmy4 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:55 am

I am not against male teachers but female teachers are more creative and effective to preschoolers. Almost all of the preschool teachers I've met are female and the kids love their female teachers more because of their enthusiasm for doing activities with kids.