Suspect child abuse case

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Suspect child abuse case

Postby lifestylelink » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:22 am

I am at a lost as to what to do. Yesterday, because I was checking out a new childcare centre under my block, I took time off from work early and fetch my boy early. He was happy to see me and after dinner he started talking.

"Yesterday (which mean something happened in the past) teacher do this to me", he gestered with his left hand over his right like holding something in horizontal, like scratching his right hand.

Call it mother's instinct or not, I recalled he returned one evening with a scratch on the back of his right hand. I tried asking him but he refused to talk.

I probe further and the event that I gather is this: the teacher used a screw to scratch the back of his right hand because he bullied another child.

This happened some time ago, the scar has almost healed but you can still fadely see the scratch line on the hand, and when you touches the surface, it still feel rough.

I felt very sad, I saw the wound some time ago but didn't probe further despite seeing it. I couldn't sleep well last night.

I took a voice recording of my child recollection of the incident. And I'm going to share it with the principal today.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Suspect child abuse case

Postby ksunflower » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi lifestylelink,

Which centre is it?
Sorry to hear such a thing happen. Did u speak to the principal?. If u suspect something is not right and not comfortable to leave your child there, perhaps you should trust your instinct. Sometimes, there may be no concrete evidence that someone may bully the child. If need be, remove the child from the centre and find some one you can trust or centre that is trustworthy. It is not worth to risk your child's well-being in a place that you have worries every now and then.

ksunflower
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Enbin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 am

OMG! Which CC is tat?

Enbin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby PaPaSmurf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:17 pm

yeah, share it here..

PaPaSmurf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lifestylelink » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:05 pm

actually i am not sure now. because when the principal ask my boy, he said he scratched himself. when i probe further, he said he scratched himself. And the wound already healed so i guess i rested my case.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cherrygal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 pm

You had cause for concern since you saw a scratch mark. How old is your son?

Just to share that my son also told me a story about him falling down the stairs at the childcare centre and I was quite alarmed that the teachers didn't even let me know about it. When I went to ask the teachers, they told me that no such incident happened. We asked my son about the "fall" and he then claimed it was just a "story" he was telling. Think he was about 3 years old then.

Then when he was 5, he also told me his teacher "poked" him in his eye to force him to take a nap in school. I asked the teachers and they told me the teacher he accused was the gentlest teacher they had. I questioned my boy again and he admitted he probably exaggerated the incident. She had only touched him on the head to get him to sleep.

I don't think my boy lied but he certainly had a great imagination and liked to add "oil" to the wok for effect.

I still believe his words but have learnt to take his complaints with a pinch of salt. I still look out for real signs of abuse such as big bruises and cuts etc. Now, in primary school, it's not the teachers I am worried about, it's the bullies.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lifestylelink » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:29 am

Yes you are right, my boy is 3ish and now is the time that he imagine things. But it could also be a case whereby, children can be afraid when interrogated, and start changing story. The PIC also told me that the teacher concerned is one of the best in school. I didn't give the PIC a hard time, but I told her for the benefit of other children, just in case there is truth in it. My boy has decided to go to the new childcare centre under my block when they start in december.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby PaPaSmurf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 am

Personally i think that much of the imagination comes from watch too much TV at home or cartoons in school.
CC should be broadcasting more educating TV channels.

PaPaSmurf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lala81 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:50 am

jts.. in my gal's prev cc, she also told me a few incidents which i also half believed during that time.

then we discovered she was indeed telling the truth while she did some role playing with me at home (she being the teacher and me being her student).

When i ask her permission to go toilet, she mimicked her teachers really well saying "wait" , "not this time" etc.

- i acted like misbehaving myself , and she mimicked her teacher by pretend to make a call to the drilling man to come to sch(she is very afraid of drilling sounds)

- the last straw is i noticed her sch uniform was very wet.. when i asked her, she told me teacher kept her in the toilet as she was crying. And teacher told her mummy dont love her if she keep crying.

my point is, i believe kids at young age dun lie..so we shld not brush aside their complaints..

lala81
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care