Nanyang kindergarten - anyone staying in the East?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Nanyang kindergarten - anyone staying in the East?

Postby ChocNCream » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:43 am

Hi all,
My daughter will be starting with Nanyang Kindergarten next year but it is really far from where we stay in the East. I was told by the school that there is no school bus to the East and was wondering if anyone would like to car-pool or has any suggestions ? Thank you.

ChocNCream
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Nanyang kindergarten - anyone staying in the East?

Postby scoobydoo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Err...why send her there then ? It's really far. If you're thinking of priority entry to NYPS, it doesn't work that way.

scoobydoo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm

yes there is no priority nor affiliation from NYK to NYPS even though they share the same board

it is a MOE policy
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Travelling time will be really long for your DD.. ..Any reason why you are putting her there? There are many 'popular' and good kindy in the east too.. :smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby nineteen19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 pm

I have two kids at Nanyang Kindergarten and we used to live in the East. It was difficult to get a car pool system as most of the students live close by the school. Finally we hired a private driver to send the kids to school daily. We have a helper and one of the grandparents accompany the kids to school. We did this for about 1 year in 2009 before moving to the school vicinity. The traffic on PIE or ECP tend to be very bad during morning peak hours. It can take between 25 minute to an hr to get the kids to school depending on traffic conditions. On average traffic congestion happened at least 3 times a week. We are glad to be living in the school vicinity now as the kids are less tired and able to focus better at school.

On the school curriculum, we have good words on the school's mandarin curriculum. My elder child never spoke Mandarin at home but is able to hold a good conversation in Mandarin confidently now. At Primary 1 this year, he was able to handle higher Chinese well and didn't require Chinese tuition. The other programs such as Dizigui, chinese calligraphy which my elder child picked up at Kindergarten level has helped developed his interest in the learning of Chinese Language. He learnt well in the kindergarten setting compared to us coaching him at the personal level. The kindergarten has good Chinese and English teachers. Math and English are of a good standards at K1 and K2 levels. My elder child was prepared well to handle primary school education and did well in primary 1. We also liked the school environment. It's very bright, airy and extremely clean.

We have no regrets about Nanyang Kindergarten. That said, how effective the school system also depends on the child's receptiveness and support from parents. Further, one may not see the visible impact and effectiveness of the Mandarin curriculum until a period of time. Our elder child took 3 years while the younger son picked by Chinese by the pre nursery level. The culturally rich environment coupled with a strong alumni support system certainly makes the school a very special one.

nineteen19
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care