infant care or home nanny/maid? HELP!!

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

infant care or home nanny/maid? HELP!!

Postby pinkymum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:21 am

My husband and I are having a MEGA headache! Our baby boy is soon 8months old, and we feel it is time i go back to work.

but we hve no maid or granny to take care of the lil one! From google, i found out a couple of infant care centres and homenanny (mostly aunties/grandmothers).

which did you guys choose??

pinkymum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: infant care or home nanny/maid? HELP!!

Postby sgmummy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 am

pinkymum wrote:My husband and I are having a MEGA headache! Our baby boy is soon 8months old, and we feel it is time i go back to work.

but we hve no maid or granny to take care of the lil one! From google, i found out a couple of infant care centres and homenanny (mostly aunties/grandmothers).

hi pinkymum,

Unless you know and trust the homenanny, if not it's better to sent to a good infant care centres. Just recently, there is a case in singapore, a 2 mth old baby died while in the care of the homenanny and the court returns a open verdict. No accountability here...

And who are in the house also matters, you might not want a few tenants living at the homenanny house... It's not so safe...

sgmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 am

pinky mum
choose nanny. There is a pool of nannies. Either you ask an agency or you ask around in your neighbourhood.

Choose those that has experience, their kids are primary or sec students. Price is $550 - 600

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: infant care or home nanny/maid? HELP!!

Postby mypiggee » Sat May 02, 2009 12:27 am

pinkymum wrote:My husband and I are having a MEGA headache! Our baby boy is soon 8months old, and we feel it is time i go back to work.

I had chosen infant care initially. Who knows...my son was sick most of the time...and I kept taking leave to take care of him. In the end, we put him under the care of bb sitter...and I can see he is happy with her.

Most importantly, its that yr bb & U are comfy with the care taker.

mypiggee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby magg » Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 pm

i would go for an infant care centre for the following reasons

- there are more eyes at the infant centre and the caregiver would not be alone with your baby, so caregivers are more "on their toes" and more eyes helps in terms of care

- the infant caregivers are selected, trained and monitored by the school

- when the caregivers are at the centre, their focus is on your baby as they are working and not at home

- there is certain hygiene level to be maintained in care centres for the environment and food.

So unless you have strong referrals from people you trust, an infant centre would be 'safer'.

magg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby winth » Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi pinkymum,

I was attached to my DS1 for the first 3 days of his childcare when he first started his nursery class. That childcare centre had infant care too, so I saw what exactly went on there.

Basically, they let their babies cry, while the 'so-called' teachers/caregivers talk amongst themselves. Bec they are young infants, most can't roll or crawl yet, so they will sit on the chairs and well - cry. The crawling ones will be kept in a confined space to just crawl and err... cry.

The best part is when the babies cry, no one will attend to them. Dun understand why those infant care teachers have got so much to talk about?

I usually get a headache and will leave the centre by 3-4 hours after I see DS1 calms down.

If I were you, I would choose a nanny. Use your instincts and choose a nanny that you are very comfortable with. Let them hold the infant and see if infant cries, usually their '6th sense' is quite good.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Thu May 28, 2009 5:32 pm

hmm, I don't think anyone can tell you what to do. you have to decide yourself. Nanny can be good/bad.

a fren of mine engaged a nanny (think she is not old, but not that young either, have kids, think primary sch kind). My fren's baby was only 2 mths during then. during first few days, she left her baby with the not-so-old nanny. when she went to fetch her baby, nobody was at home. just then, my fren heard from one of the room (nanny's house) that her baby was crying. I dunno how long she waited, after a while, the nanny arrived, with her children. apparently, they went out without taking my fren's baby.

when my fren went into the room (where the baby was), she saw her baby's diaper was soakingly wet, and nobody bothered.

My fren has paid this nanny fees but this stupid nanny refused to refund her back the money. :x

there is a risk if you do not know the nanny so well. so, pls do engage the nanny ONLY if you are familar. know her family members, do they smoke, who else is living in the nanny's house, etc. cos your baby's safety is in her hands.

On the other hand, you can consider infant care. but also got risk. and infant care, babies tend to fall sick often. and you or your SO has to take leave or ask the grandparents to take care when sick.

and childcare teachers tend to 'ignore' the babies when they cry.

someone mentioned this that at a particular childcare centre, the teachers put babies in small boxes, so that they can't hear them cry??? I dunno which centre is that.

can you afford to give up working? because i think that's the best solution for you since your baby is still very young.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TimmyOwner » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:51 am

Hi

Yes, I am also having a headache with settling a permanent child care for my child < 1 year, as both my mum and my mom-in-law can't commit to look after my child. Even though we hired a maid to accompany my child, my mom prefers working to looking after kids, and although my mom in law lives with us, she is often out visiting her other grandchildren and sometimes stay with her different children for a month or more.

Like to ask the parents here how they managed their child care when their child is small, i.e. can't talk yet.

Do you:

1. Leave the child at home alone w the maid to look after
2. Put the child in infant care
3. Put the child with an external nanny
4. Quit your job to be a stay home mom?

For (3), how old was your child before he wants back mummy and daddy and stop crying when you took him home?

For (4), how big was the sacrifice you made in terms of your family finances and career?

Thanks for the sharing!

TimmyOwner
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby engp9337 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:57 pm

TimmyOwner wrote:Hi

Yes, I am also having a headache with settling a permanent child care for my child < 1 year, as both my mum and my mom-in-law can't commit to look after my child. Even though we hired a maid to accompany my child, my mom prefers working to looking after kids, and although my mom in law lives with us, she is often out visiting her other grandchildren and sometimes stay with her different children for a month or more.

Like to ask the parents here how they managed their child care when their child is small, i.e. can't talk yet.

Do you:

1. Leave the child at home alone w the maid to look after
Nvr consider this choose, so no comment
2. Put the child in infant care
Yes, i did and i found this would usually be the last choice for most parents but my experience was still ok. the staff work in group and monitored by peers and supervisors so no worries for the safety at all, but if you insist on 1-to-1 care, then this might be impossible in infant care, usually is 1-to-3
3. Put the child with an external nanny
Reliable and experienced nanny would be perfect esp. for children under 6 mths. After 6 mths i think there is no much pain to put in infant care coz they should learn to be independent.
4. Quit your job to be a stay home mom?
This is a personal choice and must have support from either ur husband or family members. For me, I enjoy my work and i also feel it is a good break from house cores and children.

For (3), how old was your child before he wants back mummy and daddy and stop crying when you took him home?

For (4), how big was the sacrifice you made in terms of your family finances and career?

For me, i think it was quite big coz i was paid quite high. and i (including my hb and most of my family members) found it was a waste if i choose to stay at home as I am a postgraduate degree holder.

Thanks for the sharing!

engp9337
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

I was looked after since infant by maids, so when it came to my son, my family had no reservations about maids.

But my hb came from a traditional family where the grandparents look after the kids, so he was skeptical and worried about the maid.

Solutions we took:
1. Install CCTV & internet cameras to monitor the maid from work.
2. Do random checks at home. Me, hb, parents & siblings will pop home at unexpected timings to check on the maid.
3. Change the maid the moment we realise something is not right.
4. Interview the maid extensively before we decide. Our selection of maid was also based on past experience.
5. Do not allow the maid to go out during the day when she's alone with baby. We keep the house keys in an envelope (my hb signs & seals the envelope). Envelope with keys is placed on top of the piano, near the door. She can only use the key in emergencies (fire, etc) & she needs to inform us if she really needs to use to keys.

Once my boy turned 18mths, we enrolled him in childcare to learn to interact & share. We still keep the maid cos it relieves us off housework & my son is very attached to her (goes to show she really cares alot for my son).

Thankfully, we found a very good maid after changing 4 maids. They can be trusted if you find a reliable one & if you treat her well :)

Infant-care was definitely out due to high costs & problems with sending/fetching baby as the nearest infant care was very far away (had to change 2 buses & walk quite abit) & at that time only my hb drove & he has to work late.
We did consider nanny but could not find a reliable one near my place or my parent's place.
Also considered being SAHM but during confinement & ML I can't stand being at home the whole day. I need to work & have some 'personal time'.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care