[Bedok/Katong/Marine Parade/Siglap] Preschools

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
wavelypark
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

does anyone know of Just Kids at Marine Terrace?

Post by wavelypark » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:52 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Does anyone know anything about Just Kids (Mp Kids) at Marine Terrace? I've visited once sometimes ago, and I got a very good impression. I wanna find out how things are there.

wavelypark
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by wavelypark » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:59 pm

my mistake to have created a new topic...I planned to write my post in[Bedok/Katong/Marine Parade/Siglap] Preschools section. sorry!

SAHM
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Schoolhouse by the bay@katong

Post by SAHM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:28 am

hi chief kiasu,

Read that your dd in this school, do you not worried that they are not preparing the child adequately for P1? I got a friend who pulled her dd out and go to PAt schoolhouse after she got feedback from K2 parent that her child did not "learn anything"? My friend dd attended from playgroup to nursery this year, was feeling anxious that her dd still "playing" and has not learn to write....she want to prepare her gal to RGPS

Any feedbacks from graduates from schoolhouse by the bay?

Thank you.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:325

Re: Schoolhouse by the bay@katong

Post by ChiefKiasu » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:17 pm

SAHM wrote:...Read that your dd in this school, do you not worried that they are not preparing the child adequately for P1? I got a friend who pulled her dd out and go to PAt schoolhouse after she got feedback from K2 parent that her child did not "learn anything"? My friend dd attended from playgroup to nursery this year, was feeling anxious that her dd still "playing" and has not learn to write....she want to prepare her gal to RGPS...
But that's the exact reason why I sent her to Schoolhouse By The Bay. I believe kids learn much wider and deeper while they play than sitting through academic lessons. Read this article for more info.

Of course, I supplement her training with weekend Chinese lessons which is working very well. The funny thing was, there was a time when I was driving and while discussing with my wife in Chinese about her progress in Schoolhouse and whether we should change her to Orange Tree when my daughter suddenly yelled from behind us: "DON'T CHANGE MY SCHOOLHOUSE!" I guess she was fed-up with us switching her around from one childcare to another after 3 times :). We never had that same discussion since.

gigima
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Looking for infant care/playgroups in the east

Post by gigima » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:58 pm

My daughter just turned 1 year old last week and I'd like to send her to some sort of school for learning. Please recommend a good one in the east (near bayshore road) :)

quixation
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:10

Brighton montessori, MMI, Nafa Kindergarten & Kinderland

Post by quixation » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 pm

hi everyone, I am back!!! been so busy past months, hope everyone still keeping their spirits up for their kids..

Now the time for 'waiting list' and enrolment for my gal.. Been a roller coaster ride..Firstly, decided on Brighton montessori but 'waiting list' seems long for half day morning so had to put her in pre-nursery somewhere else..but am getting mixed feedback from everyone..I know, each child is different and we may not know if its good till our kids get there.. but its one of those things you know, that we as parents hate - the feeling of guilt if we chose the wrong path for them.

Indeed for the past 2 mths, I was all confused by the choice of pre-school. It appears everyone wants to get into good schools but wat actually defines a good pre-school? If the child loves going to school? if its one of the 'elite' schools? Long waiting list? Expensive fees? I have friends whose kids are 14 mths old & already booked for St James kingergarten..

I saw brighton at fort road, frankel, shaws, kinderland, Nafa and Eton house. I must say Brighton Fort road is still on my mind hence I decided to put my gal on the waiting list..why? Coz i like how clean and neat the place is, how well mannered the teachers are and most importantly, how well mannered the kids were! Unlike Brighton Frankel where the kids were screaming their heads off and wasnt as well mannered at all. Kinderland was worse, I cannot imgaine how the kids can play with such dirty toys and unkept garden.. i can almost feel the itch looking at the toys..and the kids doesnt seem to know anything about manners..(no offence ok.. i just found some of the kids there super annoying by interrupting us)

I wanted to just send her somewhere and see her progress in that school before deciding if we change for N2 or K1 or K2 but it seems i must decide and put ourselves on waiting list way before hand for some of the 'good' schools.

Anyway, I just want to seek some comment on the following schools that i have shortlisted.

1. Brighton Montessori (for pre-nursery all the way to N2) - their K1 and K2 work is very good..
2. MMI Katong (for pre-nusery all the way to N2)
3. Nafa Kindergarten (for k1 and K2) - I am concerned that the kids cannot adjust to a more acedemic environment in P1.
4. Kinderland Marine Parade Nursery - its super super near her grandma so thats grandma 1st choice!

erm.. nafa because the waiting list is super super long..i might as well book earlier..BTW, we already decided on her Primary school so that i am relieved, it has to be Tao Nan.

Please, share with me any parents whose kids are in these schools..do let me know if the teachers feedback on the kids progress like monthly or something..

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:325

Re: Brighton montessori, MMI, Nafa Kindergarten & Kinder

Post by ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

quixation wrote:...
1. Brighton Montessori (for pre-nursery all the way to N2) - their K1 and K2 work is very good..
3. Nafa Kindergarten (for k1 and K2) - I am concerned that the kids cannot adjust to a more acedemic environment in P1.
4. Kinderland Marine Parade Nursery - its super super near her grandma so thats grandma 1st choice!...

Hi quixation,

Welcome back :D . You might want to read the rest of this thread which may give you pointers to others which you may not be aware of. To get into NAFA, you probably have to get into the queue at least 3 years in advance now. Brighton is indeed one of the best around the area (which incidentally is the motherlode of childcare services in Singapore), but for the price they charge, I'm surprised you are not considering Eton House. I had a good impression of MMI Katong when I visited them. My daughter did stay for 6 months in Kinderland Academy which you mentioned about the "dirty toys" that I've never seen myself when she was there. My only complaint about Kinderland Academy is that the rooms are cramped which made the transfer of HFMD very quick when it happened in June this year.

Why are you worried about NAFA in terms of P1 preparation?

quixation
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:10

Re: Brighton montessori, MMI, Nafa Kindergarten & Kinder

Post by quixation » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
quixation wrote:...
4. Kinderland Marine Parade Nursery - its super super near her grandma so thats grandma 1st choice!...

Hi quixation,

Welcome back :D . You might want to read the rest of this thread which may give you pointers to others which you may not be aware of. To get into NAFA, you probably have to get into the queue at least 3 years in advance now. Brighton is indeed one of the best around the area (which incidentally is the motherlode of childcare services in Singapore), but for the price they charge, I'm surprised you are not considering Eton House. I had a good impression of MMI Katong when I visited them. My daughter did stay for 6 months in Kinderland Academy which you mentioned about the "dirty toys" that I've never seen myself when she was there. My only complaint about Kinderland Academy is that the rooms are cramped which made the transfer of HFMD very quick when it happened in June this year.

Why are you worried about NAFA in terms of P1 preparation?
chief,

Thanks! I read some of the post..interesting. Anyway, I registered my gal for the waiting list at Brighton today coz I have a better gut feeling about the clean environment. For MMI@ katong, somehow just cant quite put a school and Katong shopping centre together..I didnt even think about eton house because it somehow gave me a 'stuck-up, elite' feel about it..like its for the super rich kids with fees at SGD13+K / year for half day. I dont need a 'rich kids' or branded place for my baby! Anyway, I guess this time i decided totally based on a mothers' instinct.

Felt good about Brighton, so keeping my fingers crossed. Still on waiting list so nothing confirmed yet!

Pre-school settled, next comes the kindergarten!

For NAFA, i love the way they stress the importance of fine arts but dont sure about the academics. I will check that place out this weekend. From now till K1, its almost 3 years so if I really want that place I can start queuing now! :lol:

Kinderland environment was not very pleasant and I dont feel good leaving my daughter running around with the open kitchen right in the middle and loud speaking teachers..There was some little tikes toys at the side of the building that looked soo old and unkept..look like it might even have some stagnant water inside.. :? .i dont even like the principal... glad your gal was out in 6 mths!

CalMat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

St Hilda's Kindergarten

Post by CalMat » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone give more comments re St. Hilda's Kindergarten. I've read feedback that it's more 'academic' (rather than learn through play).. true?

Have gone down to take a look... Quite a nice place, in that it reminds me of the type of kindergarten we used to go too... gives me a sense of nostalgia. :D
Also, happened to notice that the teachers were mostly quite old... like in their late 40s-50s. (if my observation is wrong... do let me know)

So, fellow parents, your views... do you prefer this type of 'old school' kindy (tried n tested through the years) or the 'new school'.. u know those with 'fancy' curriculum (like zoophonics), drama n play sessions, etc etc...

bean
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by bean » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:33 am

Quixation,

Hmm.. I'm new here so still figuring out how to use post on this forum. Hope I get it right.

I called Eton House yesterday and they informed that their toddler's class is full. Visited Brighton Montessori and was told that the waiting list is pretty long. Probably a 6 months wait, but they can't tell yet.

I'm looking for a school for my baby who will turn 17 months in 2 month's time so that I can return back to work (finally!). I've visited several ccs but so far, I don't have a good feeling about most of them. There always seem to be something not quite right about the school. It's either the hardware (the school environment, cleanliness, facilities etc) or the software ( the teachers/ principal) that just doesn't feel quite right. Talk about mother's instinct!