[Bedok/Katong/Marine Parade/Siglap] Preschools

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
san20sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: [Bedok/Katong/Marine Parade/Siglap] Preschools

Post by san20sg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 pm

How is MMI katong now?

Any change of teachers, management or principal? Still good?

Considering MMI Katong, Juniors Schoolhouse & Zee Juniors.

DTJ
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DTJ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:22 pm

I have Bethesda Katong Kindagarten (the kindergarten is along Frankel Avenue) uniform to let go.

Boys / Morning Session (ie Maroon one)

2 sets at $5 per set (ie total $10)
A 3rd set (slightly faded) will be given away free if you purchase the 2 sets. I am not sure of the size as my maid cut out all the tags behind the uniform (she does that for all my boy's tshirts too). I think it is M size if i recall correctly (my boy wore from Nursery all the way to K2).

Not for fussies. Condition is still good. the slightly faded one is not for sale (I meant to give it away to whoever buys the 2 sets)

Kindly email dtjdtj@yahoo.com if interested.

Jrage
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Jrage » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:20 pm

esmummy wrote:About Schoolhouse by the Bay.....

My daughter was there from N2 till K2 and my boy is there in K2 now.

The school underwent a major management change about 2yr ago. The former principal, along with some good teachers, left to start Childfirst at M Square.

There has been many changes, not all of them good. I'll give you my take on the good, bad and ugly....

Good:
1. True bilingual immersion: one day entirely mandarin, next day entirely English so all teachers and lessons for the day will be in one language or the other. I don't know if any other preschool that has that... Most will have one Eng and one Chinese teacher in the class and if the child is more comfortable in say, English, then he will preferentially seek out the english teacher. In SHBTB, they are forced to use Chinese on alternate days and you can see even expat kids managing conversational mandarin.

2. Most of the teachers are pleasant, caring and responsible. I cannot speak for all.

3. Large enough rooms, a proper canteen, 2 or 3 open spaces/playgrounds and use of the huge CC gym/hall and dance studio.

4. There are observation rooms where you can watch your kids from behind a one way mirror, anytime of day or even the whole day if you wish. This open policy shows confidence and gives a reassurance that mere words lack.

5. Their full day programme has improved in terms of focus and content.

Bad:

1. Class size is huge! My boy's K2 class has 28 kids with 1 main teacher and one assistant teacher.

2. Food provided is usually refined carbs.... White bread, coco pops, juice out of a packet.... But hey, you can always BYO :)

3. I only share my experience with their teaching, which may differ from other parents' opinions. I cannot give them credit for teaching my kids to read. Their emphasis on phonics is weak and they rely on sight words to teach reading, something I don't agree with. At K2, my girl still couldn't read until I took matters into my own hands.

Maths is passable. No fancy stuff like abacus or speed counting, but no issues there. Did not do number bonds in preparation for P1.

Chinese is good. They do di zi gui, han Yu pin yin, character strokes etc...

I did consider taking my son out this year because they suddenly doubled his class size and some other issues irked me. But since it Is his last year and it would be too disruptive, I decided to stay on. That said, his current teachers are pretty good, and if it weren't for the class size, I'd still recommend the school.
Just heard that they brought on board Patricia koh ( founder of Pat's) as the program director 3 mths back..

And they are gunning for sparkle by next yr..
Hopefully , there will be new changes to make the school better.

Gracious2002
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Gracious2002 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:50 am

Hi,

Need reviews on following Child care centres
1. Star learners - 64 New Upper Changi Road
2. Blossom Creative Centre - Bedok South (8 Jalan Limau Purut)

Really appreciate your responses. And also if you can refer me any other child care around that area with your reviews and experiences.

Thanks in advance.

mamajs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mamajs » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm

hi, any mummies have feedback on Smartz Learning Hub (formerly Sunny Bunny Montessori) at Bedok CC?

Mylittlegirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Mylittlegirl » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:33 am

I heard that mindchamps preschool has opened a school in bedok (chai Chee techpark). Apparently their latest of 23/24 centres and this one has an outdoor playgrd and an Eco garden. My daughter goes to the one along east coast road opp 112 katong and she loves it there but I understand it's full so those staying ard chai Chee tech park can consider. Just a shout out to parents looking for a place in that area as their space fills up quite quickly.

sc_nah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by sc_nah » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Just went to see the Hokkien Huay Kuan today ... Omg .. seriously the compound is very good ... its basically a campus.. very primary school environment ... im impress ... I visited quite a few school in katong , bedok .. but this one really impress me ... might go for this ..

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by junemum72 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:19 pm

sc_nah wrote:Just went to see the Hokkien Huay Kuan today ... Omg .. seriously the compound is very good ... its basically a campus.. very primary school environment ... im impress ... I visited quite a few school in katong , bedok .. but this one really impress me ... might go for this ..
Where is the exact location?

sc_nah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by sc_nah » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:19 pm

[quote="junemum72"][quote="sc_nah"]Just went to see the Hokkien Huay Kuan today ... Omg .. seriously the compound is very good ... its basically a campus.. very primary school environment ... im impress ... I visited quite a few school in katong , bedok .. but this one really impress me ... might go for this ..[/quote]

Where is the exact location?[/quote]

Its at sennett road .. http://www.shhkpreschool.com.sg/about-shhk-preschool/
Im not sure if they just open or long long have t been but it looks very new ..

Stheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Stheng » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Hello
Looking for some comments please on the following:

Bethesda Katong at Frankel Ave
Katong Holy Family
Good Shepard

Much appreciated!