If your kid goes to full day CC...

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

If your kid goes to full day CC...

Postby KT11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Hello mummies (and daddies),

If your kid is currently attending fullday CC, do u still add on enrichment during weekends? If yes, what type of enrichment?

I think I have a kiasu hb! Lately he's been bugging me and asking me why I've stopped enrichment classes for our DD ever since she started fullday CC. He even dragged me to check out ballet and piano classes for our DD! Both of which the recommended starting age is 5? Our DD is barely 2.5! (and I thought I was the kiasu one. lol!)

Previously, when I was a sahm, my gal attended some enrichment classes (like GUG followed by Shichida) prior to attending fullday CC when she turned 2. I've stopped all enrichment since she's attending full day CC as I felt that there was no need to (Ok fine, I'd admit, I've gone back to work, wkends are precious and I don't feel as energetic as before abt enrichment classes!). But apparently my hb thinks otherwise...keeps nagging me! *urgh*

So I'm looking around again. Recommendations pls? TIA!

KT11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: If your kid goes to full day CC...

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:50 pm

ask your DH to be the one sending your DD to & fro enrichment classes lor ;)

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ryssac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi KT11,

Yes, I do sent my boy to enrichment classes when he started full day CC at age of 2. I started with Shichida on weekend last year.

Now he is 3 this year, I stopped Shichida coz he is bored with the teaching routine. I am trying out JELIC for him now.

Rgds
Alicia

ryssac
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby iLoveChubby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm

KT11 wrote:Hello mummies (and daddies),

If your kid is currently attending fullday CC, do u still add on enrichment during weekends? If yes, what type of enrichment?

I think I have a kiasu hb! Lately he's been bugging me and asking me why I've stopped enrichment classes for our DD ever since she started fullday CC. He even dragged me to check out ballet and piano classes for our DD! Both of which the recommended starting age is 5? Our DD is barely 2.5! (and I thought I was the kiasu one. lol!)

Previously, when I was a sahm, my gal attended some enrichment classes (like GUG followed by Shichida) prior to attending fullday CC when she turned 2. I've stopped all enrichment since she's attending full day CC as I felt that there was no need to (Ok fine, I'd admit, I've gone back to work, wkends are precious and I don't feel as energetic as before abt enrichment classes!). But apparently my hb thinks otherwise...keeps nagging me! *urgh*

So I'm looking around again. Recommendations pls? TIA!

Hi KT11!
Your DH is the exactly opposite of mine.. my DH will complain WHY SO MANY ENRICHMENTS?!... I THOT THEY R ALRDY GG TO SCH EVERYDAY!!... :lol: ..

Actually it very much depends which CC your DD is attending.
Some CC offers very comprehensive curriculum and even enrichment classes (music, ballet, drama, swim etc), so it might not be necessary for you to join any other classes during wkends.

My DS (altho in full day CC) attends phonics, chinese enrichment, maths class outside of CC. Hvg said that, it might not be necessary for your DD to attend such "academic class" as she is only 2.5 yrs old. (My DS is alrdy K1).

I thk all little girls should try ballet... they are like super cute angels in their ballet suits!!... :please:
And music classes are good exposure for kids at her age, it trains their sense of hearing and rhythm... :dancing:
However most importantly, your DD must enjoy the classes... :rahrah:

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby KT11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 pm

tankee wrote:ask your DH to be the one sending your DD to & fro enrichment classes lor ;)

haha... actually i don't think he'd mind!

KT11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby KT11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

ryssac wrote:Hi KT11,

Yes, I do sent my boy to enrichment classes when he started full day CC at age of 2. I started with Shichida on weekend last year.

Now he is 3 this year, I stopped Shichida coz he is bored with the teaching routine. I am trying out JELIC for him now.

Rgds
Alicia

Whats JELIC about?

KT11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby KT11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 pm

iLoveChubby wrote:Hi KT11!
Your DH is the exactly opposite of mine.. my DH will complain WHY SO MANY ENRICHMENTS?!... I THOT THEY R ALRDY GG TO SCH EVERYDAY!!... :lol: ..

Actually it very much depends which CC your DD is attending.
Some CC offers very comprehensive curriculum and even enrichment classes (music, ballet, drama, swim etc), so it might not be necessary for you to join any other classes during wkends.

My DS (altho in full day CC) attends phonics, chinese enrichment, maths class outside of CC. Hvg said that, it might not be necessary for your DD to attend such "academic class" as she is only 2.5 yrs old. (My DS is alrdy K1).

I thk all little girls should try ballet... they are like super cute angels in their ballet suits!!... :please:
And music classes are good exposure for kids at her age, it trains their sense of hearing and rhythm... :dancing:
However most importantly, your DD must enjoy the classes... :rahrah:

Other then kindermusik, there are no other added enrichment in my DD's daily CC curriculum. Daily she has the usual english, mandarin and sometimes art n crafts.

Previously when she attended enrichment classes she always enjoyed n made good progress. Its me who kinda got bored. I actually do teach her at home too.

I'm thinking maybe a 'fun' type of enrichment. Probably not kindermusik since she already sort of has that in her weekly curriculum at CC. So whats a fun enrichment?

KT11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

Hi,

Just sharing some personal views, I don't believe in sending my kids to additional enrichment classes at such a young age. Attending full-day childcare 5 days a week is already more than enough.

I am also a full-time working mom & my older boy has been going to full-day childcare since July last year after he turned 2. My younger girl will join him when she's old enough + ready for school. What I do notice is that quality time with my boy is less after he started childcare despite my already working full-time before that. I think it might be due to traveling time to/from his school + to/from his school to my workplace, etc.. Plus the full-day childcare is an additional cost which I find quite high, despite the government grant + I'm sending him to 1 that is quite normal pricing (I think cheaper than Kinderland & Cherie Hearts).

Hence, to me, quality & quantity time with my kids during the weekend is crucial and I do not want to use those time to send them to additional classes away from me instead of spending time with them. Too much classroom environment is too stuffy - they need to be running around outdoors too, as well as spend happy times with us. I believe that the best thing a parent can do for their children before the age of 7 is to spend as much quality time with them (be it playing, reading or even disciplining them) as possible. I believe that family is the greatest and most important building block at this stage of their lives and it will define who and what they will become in later life - the influence on their self-esteem/confidence, how they see themselves and the world around them, etc.. Babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers need to feel and know that their parents are there for them and with them.

Of course, I don't like the idea of my kids wasting their time watching TV etc. while in childcare as well (my boy spends about 10 hours in school everyday), so I was very particular when choosing a school with a good curriculum that balances the need to prepare him well for P1 but, at the same time, provide him with enough rest time, outdoor time, play time, etc.. In that way, his time both in school & at home is fruitful, interesting and structured, yet not too overwhelming.

Hence, I refuse to send my kids for any additional classes beyond the 5 days at childcare. There was a period of time when my hubby kept asking me to send our boy to Shichida as he heard quite some good recommendations from his bosses & colleagues. But I told him no, it's more important for his son to spend time with us and actually see us as part of his life instead of going for lesson after lesson & an endless stream of classroom environment 7 days a week. Life is not just about sitting in a classroom or scoring 'A's all the way. He needs to have time to just be a kid and has some fun. After a while, my hubby doesn't ask anymore. I think in a lot of ways, he understands where I'm coming from too.

What we do agree on though, is that when the kids are older and starts to develop interests, we will let them go for additional lessons, e.g. ballet, piano, etc., if they ask for it. See where those interests might take them. Other than that, the only thing we will insist on them learning is swimming, but we might not actually send them for lessons until P1. See how it goes.

I think what is most important is to discuss about what you 2 think is important and crucial for your child at the different stages in life and work according to that. Don't fall blindly into the traps of peer pressure and feeling like you're short-changing your child simply because everyone else is doing it. Everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. For e.g., everyone used to put their babies to sleep on the front thinking that that is the best sleeping position. But research in later years proved that that caused a sharp rise in SIDS cases and parents were advised to put their babies to bed on their backs instead. You are the parent, you should know your child and know what is best for her.

Sorry for the long post... :P

Carolina
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby toddles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Carolina wrote:Hi,

Just sharing some personal views, I don't believe in sending my kids to additional enrichment classes at such a young age. Attending full-day childcare 5 days a week is already more than enough.

I am also a full-time working mom & my older boy has been going to full-day childcare since July last year after he turned 2. My younger girl will join him when she's old enough + ready for school. What I do notice is that quality time with my boy is less after he started childcare despite my already working full-time before that. I think it might be due to traveling time to/from his school + to/from his school to my workplace, etc.. Plus the full-day childcare is an additional cost which I find quite high, despite the government grant + I'm sending him to 1 that is quite normal pricing (I think cheaper than Kinderland & Cherie Hearts).

Hence, to me, quality & quantity time with my kids during the weekend is crucial and I do not want to use those time to send them to additional classes away from me instead of spending time with them. Too much classroom environment is too stuffy - they need to be running around outdoors too, as well as spend happy times with us. I believe that the best thing a parent can do for their children before the age of 7 is to spend as much quality time with them (be it playing, reading or even disciplining them) as possible. I believe that family is the greatest and most important building block at this stage of their lives and it will define who and what they will become in later life - the influence on their self-esteem/confidence, how they see themselves and the world around them, etc.. Babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers need to feel and know that their parents are there for them and with them.

Of course, I don't like the idea of my kids wasting their time watching TV etc. while in childcare as well (my boy spends about 10 hours in school everyday), so I was very particular when choosing a school with a good curriculum that balances the need to prepare him well for P1 but, at the same time, provide him with enough rest time, outdoor time, play time, etc.. In that way, his time both in school & at home is fruitful, interesting and structured, yet not too overwhelming.

Hence, I refuse to send my kids for any additional classes beyond the 5 days at childcare. There was a period of time when my hubby kept asking me to send our boy to Shichida as he heard quite some good recommendations from his bosses & colleagues. But I told him no, it's more important for his son to spend time with us and actually see us as part of his life instead of going for lesson after lesson & an endless stream of classroom environment 7 days a week. Life is not just about sitting in a classroom or scoring 'A's all the way. He needs to have time to just be a kid and has some fun. After a while, my hubby doesn't ask anymore. I think in a lot of ways, he understands where I'm coming from too.

What we do agree on though, is that when the kids are older and starts to develop interests, we will let them go for additional lessons, e.g. ballet, piano, etc., if they ask for it. See where those interests might take them. Other than that, the only thing we will insist on them learning is swimming, but we might not actually send them for lessons until P1. See how it goes.

I think what is most important is to discuss about what you 2 think is important and crucial for your child at the different stages in life and work according to that. Don't fall blindly into the traps of peer pressure and feeling like you're short-changing your child simply because everyone else is doing it. Everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. For e.g., everyone used to put their babies to sleep on the front thinking that that is the best sleeping position. But research in later years proved that that caused a sharp rise in SIDS cases and parents were advised to put their babies to bed on their backs instead. You are the parent, you should know your child and know what is best for her.

Sorry for the long post... :P

:goodpost: excellent post!

totally agree. Already as FTWM we aren't spending that much time with them if we believe family is the most impt building block at this stage of life... so weekends are precious!

Also, I especially don't like Shichida's methods and how the business is run.

I guess when they enter pri sch some classes might be inevitable so that they can keep up with school. But for now, they should really be enjoying mummy and daddy and the great outdoors as much as possible!

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

My son went to full day CC. Only started him off Chinese enrichment at 3-4yo. Stopped Chinese enrichment classes when his interest grew and started English phonics at 4yo for one year. I stopped these classes when he could manage on his own. I let him try piano for one month and withdrew coz he had no interest. He also took abacus for 4 months and pulled out coz I found that there was too much homework for a K2. He's now only taking the Chinese enrichment to keep up with higher chinese.

Will do the same for my younger kid.

I don't believe in having too many additional classes as a young child can only manage to absorb so much. Yes they are sponges but it is also important for them to have quality time with parents and siblings. So far I have only let him do one enrichment class at any one time. We don't want to be weekend chauffeurs.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care