Falling sick when attending childcare centre

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Falling sick when attending childcare centre

Postby strawvery28 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 pm

My 24 mth old boy has just started going CCC. But he has been falling sick very often, he has just started since middle of Dec but fell sick for a few days on alternate wks! Is this normal?

Like this wk,he could not go since Mon.

Btw, he was mostly on half days, only twice he was brought back @3pm. And I'm still breastfeeding him, so his immunity shouldn't it be better?

Appreciate sharing from parents who had gone thru' this. Thanks.

strawvery28
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Falling sick when attending childcare centre

Postby iLoveChubby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi strawvery28
Dont worry, you are def not alone!... I believe out of all the KSPs here, more than 90% have been/are in your shoes!...:)

I started my DS1 CC when he was 1.5 yrs old and fell sick thereafter for almost every week/fornightly for the rest of his toddler yrs and nursery yrs was "slightly better" - became a "monthly affair"...
As for my DS2, same thing happened.. his visits to the padi was so frequent that his padi issued a letter to the school, asking for permission to stop him fr gg to sch for 2 months!...
And trust me, it DOES NOT MATTER how new or spanky clean the CC is, it happens everywhere to every kids.

They said all kids have to go thr' this "vicious cycle of sickness" so that they can build up antibodies and their body will eventually be stronger.
I didnt quite buy that theory previously... until i realise both my DS has indeed became "stronger" once they are N2/K1 stage... the visits to docs became significantly lesser.

You may also wish to try giving Vit C, cod liver oil, manuka honey to add on to his diet...
Meanwhile, hang on there!... :xedfingers:

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Kopi882 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 am

My DS goes to CC too and he fell sick almost once every 3 weeks when he first started CC. After 1 year+, his immunity build up and now although he still at CC, he don't fall sick so often.

Kopi882
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Kopi882 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:26 am

Another friend of mine whose DS also in CC said that different centre has different virus, so if your child always fall sick until so serious, maybe change another CC. She did that and her son fell sick less often in another CC

Kopi882
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby selp » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Mine has been sick for 10 mths in ifc, withdrew him, and he never had any fever for 9 mths, now back to cc, fall sick aft 3 weeks. But it gets better la. After awhile, tummy flu becomes less frequent, fever becomes easier to recover, cough and cold also easier to treat (maybe we get used to the exhaustion fr taking care of them too... haha). Ya, it's common. Just remember to cook food to counter the weather. E.g. green bean, barley, pear for hot weather. Nutritious immunity soups for cold weather.

selp
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care