Sending 3-year-old to nursery (N2) class

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Sending 3-year-old to nursery (N2) class

Postby clonob » Mon May 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Wonder had anyone sent his/her 3-year-old child directly to nursery(N2) ,which is for 4-years-old, class in childcare/kindy instead of pre-nursery/N1/playgroup?

Wonder is there any pre-school willing to accept a child to jump a level in advance in age? What are the cons of doing so?

Hope someone can advise me on this as my child will be starting class next year but I am worried she might be bored and lose interest at preschool as I had been teaching her in advance at home.

Thanks a lot !

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Sending 3-year-old to nursery (N2) class

Postby autumnbronze » Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 am

Hi clonob,

I also taught my DS1 at home first before I sent him to N1 in the middle of the year. The reason was because at that time, he was an only child. So it was more for social interaction. I still teach him at home and he is advanced compared to his peers (according to the P). However, I take it that whatever he is learning in kindy is considered somewhat as reinforcement of what I am teaching at home. I do think he is a tad bored but it doesn't affect his desire to go to school. In fact, he looks forward to playing with his friends. I never once thought of putting him in higher level class because I know I can achieve much more at home.

:smile:
Last edited by autumnbronze on Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

A girl in ds's kindy (some years ago) was a year younger. No problem in her learning ability. Smart gal. But being a year younger, she was unable to graduate at the end of k2. She has to repeat a year and she didn't take it well according to what I heard from friends.

So maybe her parents should have heed the school's advice and let her do an extra year while in k1 or n2.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 am

you can try calling up Montessori pre-schools.
They may consider. After initial assessment done on your N1 child, gauge at which level of N2 he can possibly join in, starting point. Montessori teach according to the capability level of your child.

but not for traditional church kindergarten nor PCF.
These go by the age, that particular year your child born in, follow MOE rules.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Shoe » Tue May 08, 2012 4:16 pm

I think there's no advantage to sending a 3 year old to n2 in advance... As the child has to repeat a year, whichever year it may be,the child will get bored... Jmho..

Shoe
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby clonob » Tue May 08, 2012 5:20 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Hi clonob,

I also taught my DS1 at home first before I sent him to N1 in the middle of the year. The reason was because at that time, he was an only child. So it was more for social interaction. I still teach him at home and he is advanced compared to his peers (according to the P). However, I take it that whatever he is learning in kindy is considered somewhat as reinforcement of what I am teaching at home. I do think he is a tad bored but it doesn't affect his desire to go to school. In fact, he looks forward to playing with his friends. I never once thought of putting him in higher level class because I know I can achieve much more at home.

:smile:

Hi autumnbronze, thanks for replying. As I will be spending less time with my DD from next year onwards, I am thinking of looking for kindy that can provide a continuation from where I left off. I don't think I can keep on providing parallel teaching at home at current pace anymore.

I envy your DS for able to get your attention for so long, and you are sure a dedicated mother :salute:

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby clonob » Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 pm

LOLMum wrote:A girl in ds's kindy (some years ago) was a year younger. No problem in her learning ability. Smart gal. But being a year younger, she was unable to graduate at the end of k2. She has to repeat a year and she didn't take it well according to what I heard from friends.

So maybe her parents should have heed the school's advice and let her do an extra year while in k1 or n2.

Hi LOLMum, I had just send you a pm. Hope you can take a look and reply soon. Thanks a lot!

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby clonob » Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

phtthp wrote:you can try calling up Montessori pre-schools.
They may consider. After initial assessment done on your N1 child, gauge at which level of N2 he can possibly join in, starting point. Montessori teach according to the capability level of your child.

but not for traditional church kindergarten nor PCF.
These go by the age, that particular year your child born in, follow MOE rules.

Phtthp, my understanding is that Montessori school are all childcare center. I am looking for purely kindergarten. Do you know of any kindy that are Montessori? Thanks ya.

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby clonob » Tue May 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Shoe wrote:I think there's no advantage to sending a 3 year old to n2 in advance... As the child has to repeat a year, whichever year it may be,the child will get bored... Jmho..

I am thinking maybe at 6 years old, can just send for enrichments only, or just stay at home to take a break prior to P1 ... Wonder is that a good idea :scratchhead:

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Shoe » Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Clonob, I think you're better off sending child to a full day school with a more demanding curriculum in K2... My dd was attending school right up to Christmas in her K2 year and it kept the momentum going for her transition into P1 and subsequent learning...

Another thing to consider is that even if a child is advanced academically, there are other things he can learn from being in the company of his peers.. Eg.. Social skills, negotiation, compromise, discussion etc... Important to find a school that facilitates learning of these skills....

Shoe
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care