Am I wasting Money?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Am I wasting Money?

Postby mum_dad » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Dear all,

Hope to get some advice and comments here.

I have placed my child at a CC from last year dec till date, my child fall sick since the first month of placement till now. Fever, flu and cough monthly, the fever shoot's up quite high and always lasted for a week or more. I know placing child in CC is more prone to fall sick, so I thot for the first 2 or 3 months I have to endure abit and understand that it's a new enviroment, my child will need time to build up her immunity with the center. But now this has become a monthly issue, its the 6mths already, and my child had just recovered from high fever. :cry:

I was thinking whether was it due to the center may be having hygeine problem or they are not strict in not allowing sick children's into the center. The center was having HFMD since day one school opens, the spreading was so bad that the center have to be ordered to close for 10days. After school re-opened for about weeks they have quite a few new HFMD cases coming up again, but all recovered now. This is quite a big center that holds about 200 children from toddler to K2.

Any parents facing the same issue? :imdrowning:

Every month my child will missed out about a week or longer of lessons from the CC and I would either need to take urgent leave or get Mum's help to take care of my child. The CC sch fee is not cheap about $800 per mth including sch bus, I felt abit wasting of money with her not attending the lessons for a week monthly.

About the school cirruculum so far I just felt that my DD learn quite alot, like chinese she have learn the strokes of the words, she is now in N2. Is other CC N2 also teaching the same? As I heard from some of my friends their child (same age as mine) CC is not teaching this yet, check with their CC, the teacher mention this will only be taught in K1, not N2.

Have friends telling me before CC's with name's will teach a level ahead, compared to normal CC's. Is this true?

I am thinking of whether to change an enviroment for my child, I really cannot take it that she fall sick every month, and always having very high fever. I worried for her brain and well being.

I understand too that teachers are also the main important role in CC, she is quite use to the teacher there, only two teachers had ever said unpleasant things to my child, the form teacher is loving her alot. I am so troubled over this and what should I choose.

Please guide me.... :?:

mum_dad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Am I wasting Money?

Postby Monster Mummy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I would recommend you to change CC, if the child keep falling sick every month, it shows the child body is quite sensitive to environment like the air-con. Although, she did learn something in this CC, but inthe long run the child health is deteriorate. Years back, my child is in nursery at PAP for the 1st 6 months, he is falling sick every month. Initially, we also thought that in the first few months are the adjustment period, yet it is getting worst and simply he went to class only for 1 week and then sick consecutively for around 2 weeks consider he got slight brochotitis. In the end, his aunt write to appeal to transfer him to other centre without air-con. After that, he is able to attend classes normally. This is my personal opinion that it would be wise to send her to other cc.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mum_dad » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Monster Mummy,

Thanks for the reply. Yup my child just recovered from bronchitis too. This CC does is not air-con base, that's where I can't find the reason why. :roll:
Too many children together? Hygiene problem? Or sick children are not being address in the right manner? What can I do other than changing center, dunno whether any parents there facing the same problem anot. How to check and ask?
I have ring up the other center closer to my home, but currently there is no vacancy. What should I do... :sad:

Anyway would like to ask too, my child has been continuously sick and always had very high fever that will last for longest 8days. Brought her to KK hospital and address my concern to them. Wanted a detailed check for my child since they are doing blood test but was rejected. Nurse and doctor told me, prolong high fever will not lead to brain damage. I went to search and had read many reports on what damage will there be should the fever prolong and too high. I don't understand why the reply I got from KK is that. Hoping anyone with same problem could share with me..

Thanks so much.. :smile:

mum_dad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Monster Mummy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 am

Hi,

Although air con may be one of the causes, but it is also due to air and hygiene in the centre that might also result the child to fall sick easily.

Usually, doctor would not recommend for the blood test unless they suspect something because it will also harm to the child's health. If your child condition, does the doctor recommend the child for puffing ventolin to control the condition. My child last time also sick around every two months, but understand from his doctor, as they grow older, they will outgrow. That's why we try to bring him for more outdoor activities.

Ultimately, it will best to change the centre as there might be a lot of causes and also understand at this moment, normally centre do not have any vacancy unless in the beginning of the year.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 am

mum_dad wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yup my child just recovered from bronchitis too. This CC does is not air-con base, that's where I can't find the reason why. :roll:
Too many children together? Hygiene problem? Or sick children are not being address in the right manner? What can I do other than changing center, dunno whether any parents there facing the same problem anot. How to check and ask?

Thanks so much.. :smile:

*raise hand*

Ditto with my son. But he is in a 3 hr preschool. Ever since he enrolled in the middle of N1 until the beginning of the year in K1, he has been falling
sick every month, same symptoms as your kiddo.

The kindy does not have air con. It is definitely because sick children are not being addressed in the appropriate manner. I spoke to one of the senior staff and she alluded to that. I too have seen it with my own eyes, when I drop my son off school, kids coughing and with green mucous. A
mom I spoke with who commented that my DS seems to be out of school for long periods of time expressed surprise and commented that "that is too long" when I told her that I tend to keep DS away from school 2 weeks at a time so that he can recover well.

What did I do in the end?? I have taken him out of school. He has enrolled for swimming lessons and I take him out for brisk walking/runs 4 to 5 times a week. I hope that that will improve his health. I am a SAHM with a toddler. I am trying my best to home school him.

JMHO :smile:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Just to share, had DS who entered childcare since 18mths and dd who entered since 22mths. We chose a childcare centre with no aircon and lesser kids so less chances for infection. It's in a semi-D house in a housing estate.

My DS fell sick almost every month too but the PD told us it's ok and perfectly normal coz the body needs to fall sick in order to build up resistance. So kids will usually fall sick often till they reach K1 or K2. It was true. When DS reached K1, he only fell sick once in 3 - 4 months at most.

For DD who is currently there, I gave her vitamin supplements each morning and I have seen a difference.

It is true that viral illnesses such as coughs and colds are not treated with the same importance as HFMD or chicken pox at most CCCs. They admit kids with phlegmy coughs and runny noses as long as they do not have a fever. For a kid to be completely free of symptoms, it would take almost 2 weeks and I think most working parents dun have the luxury to take leave for 2 weeks.

Anyway, fever for 7-8 days is normal for most viral infections. Antibiotics do not help and there's really no need to visit KK all the time.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Fever for 7-8 days will not cause brain damage. The only worry is liver damage from ingesting too much paracetamol but that can be controlled with a proper dosage. Brain damage occurs only if you allow the fever to be untreated and go over 41C for a prolonged time. If the temp escalates too fast, febrile fits may also occur.

So your job is to always try to bring fever down with medicine, sponging and hydration. Dun panic and overly worry.

And if you are worried about the big C word coz frequent fevers are a symptom, then be assured that the big C word comes with significant weight loss and lethargy, apart from the frequent fevers. If your kid has fever but is eating and playing normally, there is no cause for worry.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tan9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi parents,

Just to share my thots.

Children fall sick for these reasons.... Rest and food. If they don't have enough of both, they fall sick. Maybe they stress of going to school is making yr child ill.

You can try a vitamin supplement which I find helps to build immune system. I m not advertising or anything. This child's life ?probiotics "placenta" powder sold by gnc is quite helpful to my kids.

Maybe yr home is too clean! :smile: I strongly believe a little bit of dirt helps them to be stronger :imanangel:

tan9
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Imami » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm

I sent my child to infant care since he was 2.5months old, shortly before the end of my maternity leave. For the first year, he had never gone through without falling sick every month. Each month, we had to bring him to the pd at least twice a month - for vaccination and/or for common ailments. I hav never gone through a month without at least two days of urgent leave or one week of work from home....

I thought becos mine went to IFC when he's Sooooo young, hence he would hv a harder and longer battle. But my colleague's child whose in k2 when he first started full day cc was also like that. I supposed all kids are like that for a stretch of time - they fall sick often during the first year with cc.

Back to my child, I find that he's learning a lot more in cc than if I were to home school him. So despite the frequent doc visits in the first two years, I still thought it was worth it.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 pm

When DS and DD were young and they went to CC, we provide soup and fruit juice daily. The moment my kids back from CC at about 5pm, they would drink a bowl of soup (rice bowl initially, then progress to soup bowl when they are in K2). Dinner at ~6pm. Fruits or fruit juice (altenate days) at 8+pm.

I think that really helps with their liquid and nutrients intake and they did not have frequent absence or long absence period. A little cough and cold unavoidable once in a while, but no major issue.

Some frens asked before why not fruits only and why need fruit juice on alternate days. Reason is we juice more mixed fruits and "fruits" we do not normally eat - eg. add in carrot / tomato / green apples / starfruit. I find that though there is no fibre intake, the quantity and variety of fruits taken from juice seems to be more.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care