Good Enrichment Classes for 1 yr toddler

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Good Enrichment Classes for 1 yr toddler

Postby Mab0oLine » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:55 am

Hi,

Any recommendation of enrichment class for 1 yr old? Best if the class conduct in English n Mandarin.

Im thinking of JG or GUG. Any feedbacks?

Mab0oLine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Good Enrichment Classes for 1 yr toddler

Postby Mab0oLine » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Can someone pls help?

Mab0oLine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Icebaby22 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Can try Happy Train at Bugis. My boys went there from 8months old. The do flashcards in Japanese , English and Chinese.

Icebaby22
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Desmo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Mab0oLine wrote:Hi,

Any recommendation of enrichment class for 1 yr old? Best if the class conduct in English n Mandarin.

Hi,
I can share with u my experience with GUG. My son first joined their 1 hr program when he was juz abt 2 yrs old. This is a child-parent program. Children are taught zoo phonics with a new letter in each lesson. Got some hands on activity too, with songs and little dance movements.

The children (including my son) enjoy very much. They get to learn phonics at this age which is a good start for them. Called zoo phonics cos they use animals names to teach phonics and they make it very interesting n fun for the kids to learn. The teachers are very fun loving and what touched me is, there was 1 occasion when a small boy, being restless started walking about and kinda disturbing the class (yes, even with the parent with him !) but instead of asking the parent to hold/manage the kid, the teacher hug the boy & literally sat him on her lap & continued with the lesson, as if it's a natural thing to do ! The boy seemed to like the personal attention & calmed down. This is what I call personal touch.

After 1 year, my son then proceed to 3.5 hrs N1, N2 class which he's currently attending and enjoying very much.

Chinese is taught in N1 class onwards but not the playgroup class in the parent-child pgm.

Hygiene is highly observed with usual temp checks, hand mouth check.
Once, my son has a prolonged nose block (for few days but no fever). Teacher called up to request me to bring son home.

Hope above helps :smile:

Desmo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Ribena48 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Desmo wrote:

Hi,
I can share with u my experience with GUG. My son first joined their 1 hr program when he was juz abt 2 yrs old. This is a child-parent program. Children are taught zoo phonics with a new letter in each lesson. Got some hands on activity too, with songs and little dance movements.

The children (including my son) enjoy very much. They get to learn phonics at this age which is a good start for them. Called zoo phonics cos they use animals names to teach phonics and they make it very interesting n fun for the kids to learn. The teachers are very fun loving and what touched me is, there was 1 occasion when a small boy, being restless started walking about and kinda disturbing the class (yes, even with the parent with him !) but instead of asking the parent to hold/manage the kid, the teacher hug the boy & literally sat him on her lap & continued with the lesson, as if it's a natural thing to do ! The boy seemed to like the personal attention & calmed down. This is what I call personal touch.

After 1 year, my son then proceed to 3.5 hrs N1, N2 class which he's currently attending and enjoying very much.

Chinese is taught in N1 class onwards but not the playgroup class in the parent-child pgm.

Once, my son has a prolonged nose block (for few days but no fever). Teacher called up to request me to bring son home.

What is the price like? My youngest is 3 yr old and I am interested to send him to class.

Ribena48
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mab0oLine » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Desmo wrote:

Hi,

u r referring to the weekend class right? i am looking at the weekday class. twice a week for my 13 mths old gal.

Mab0oLine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Desmo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Ribena48

My boy now 4 yrs old, attending N2. Fees is about $840 / mth (3.5 hours each lesson, 5 days per week). Need to pay 2 mths at each payment.

Can opt to go for 3,4,5 lessons per week. Fees charged accordingly.

Can be paid thru baby bonus a/c for nursery onwards.

Best to enquire at their school for latest fees, schedules, class etc.

Expensive hor.. but bo bian.. my boy likes the class very much, will cry if I threaten not to let him go if he naughty (wonder if other kids are so keen to go to school :lol: )

Anyway, he seems to learn alot from this school, phonics lah, Chinese lah.. Now he's able to read books with simple words all on his own. Some words he may not understand but able to pronounce them quite well (guess due to the phonics taught at school).

But then again, be it enrichment class, nursery, kindergarten, it's not 'one size fits all'. Different child is adaptable to diff type of schools and teaching methods.. so I'll not say GUG is the best (I hve no means to compare anyway, since this is the 1st school we tried and stuck to it till now). But no harm trying out if you feel your child is not enjoying or learning wherever he's at now.

I've another friend who finds her son doesn't like the pgm so quit.

I quite like the personal touch/dedication shown by the teachers. As my son still not completely toilet trained yet, so we let him go to nursery school with diapers. The teacher realized it and brought it up to me and suggested we let my son try it out without diapers. She'll pay more attention to him and try to toilet train him for that 3.5 hours time in school. There are other incidents so far which made me feel this is the school that cares.

Desmo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Desmo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Mab0oLine wrote:
u r referring to the weekend class right? i am looking at the weekday class. twice a week for my 13 mths old gal.

Yup. We attended the weekend classes for the parent-child pgm. Not sure the name of the class, think they have several types. You may enquire at their school for the latest class structure, schedules.

Good luck. Hope your gal enjoys it :lol:

Desmo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bebe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:50 am

Desmo wrote:Can be paid thru baby bonus a/c for nursery onwards.

U mean I can pay the fee using the CDA acct? If so, it will be great. Currently I am paying cash for my son's gifted tots prog. He will be moving on to nursery class soon next year..and I am thinking if I shd continue or switch cos it is certainly not cheap - $800+ for half a day prog. Presently, I am paying $700+ for 2 months (2hr twice a week). My son has been with them since he was 14 months old. And he certainly enjoyed the lessons. I only see him settling down after 6 mths or so with the class -as most of the time, he was running abt in the class during the initial months. Now he can sit down and participate in the class. He knows the teachers quite well (not much of teacher turnover).

One thing I like abt the sch is the teachers quality. The same teacher has been with him from gifted baby to gifted tots..and definitely witness his progress and understand him well. And they speak good English and Mandarin..and the lessons are quite innovative with lots of hands-on projects and arts work.

The only con is that the fee is abit high and they do not have much outdoor facilities and the place looked a bit run down compared to other new centers.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Desmo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Yup, I'm paying the N2 fees currently thru the CDA a/c. Think started paying from the a/c since N1 (if I rem correctly, u have better confirm with school, got short memory, sorry :sad: )

Desmo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care