Correlation btw preschool to how well u cope to Pri sch

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Correlation btw preschool to how well u cope to Pri sch

Postby North_Mummy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi all parents with children in Pr 1-6 do you think how well your kids cope in their pri school greatly depend on which preschool they attended??? Do share which preschool your kids are in previously ( PCF /Pat school hse ) etc.. Enrichment class attended.

Parents with kids in branded pri sch, are your kids able to cope better with branded childcare/kindergarten.... pls share too...

Nowsaday alot of preschool are increasing their fees which result parents thinking "more expensive must be better attitude" so i would like to hear feedback fm parents whose kids in Pri school right now...

North_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Correlation btw preschool to how well u cope to Pri sch

Postby Ran1977 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:45 pm

:goodpost:

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm

This is a very interesting question which I believed a lot of parents with pre-schoolers are keen to know as well. Does paying more means better results in primary school?

Maybe it's easier find the answer by interviewing top, average and poor performers so that we can see the trend.... wow like doing some thesis.

Having 3 kids who are in primary school, I found it really difficult to answer as there are too many other factors to consider eg. the child's own talent/ calibre/ character/ family support towards the child. A talented child might be attending PCF but with his talent and diligence, he can be a top student.

But one interesting observation that I had on my P1 was that in her pre-school, they always have mini performance to the rest of the level. Eg. every friday 1-2 classes will perform through singing/ dancing infront of the other levels. She is in P1 this year, she related to me that when preparing for some class performance on stage, some of her friends have stage fright though it's in a group. She would tell them not to worry. So I thought maybe her preschool exposure helped made her more confident.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm

North_Mummy wrote:Hi all parents with children in Pr 1-6 do you think how well your kids cope in their pri school greatly depend on which preschool they attended??? Do share which preschool your kids are in previously ( PCF /Pat school hse ) etc.. Enrichment class attended.

Parents with kids in branded pri sch, are your kids able to cope better with branded childcare/kindergarten.... pls share too...

Nowsaday alot of preschool are increasing their fees which result parents thinking "more expensive must be better attitude" so i would like to hear feedback fm parents whose kids in Pri school right now...

An Interesting topic !!!

As for my gal, now she is already in sec sch.....
She was from Pats schhse at halifax....
I would say, Yes, a solid foundation laid during the presch yrs is critical
to help the child to academically perform better in his or her primary sch.

She was effectively bilingual when she began her primary sch education,
as she had 2 teachers, an EL and CL teacher teaching her ( throughout the day).
Also, her maths foundation was strongly built during the presch yrs.
i remember that i need not to coach her only till the upper primary levels.
On top of that, she had gained much confidence and positive learning attitude fr Pats schhse.

Just fyi, a friend of mine who has 3 gals, the first 2 were enrolled in Pcf,
while the 3 rd one, ( perhaps after hearing what i had said :wink: ) she enrolled her in a branded presch....
She told me that she could really see the difference ( both academics and behavioural)
in her 3 rd gal when she went to primary sch as compared to the other 2 sisters.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Oh.....forget to add this....i have no vested interest in Pats schhse or whichever branded preschs.....
i merely sharing my feedback since my gal was fr Pats.....

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hope76 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi, thanks for this interesting post, I also often asking myself the same question.

I've 3 kids, oldest is going p1 next yr. He is currently in a preschool that prepares him what is needed in p1, e.g. (eng- comprehension, grammar, voca, creative writing, show and tell etc) (maths- tens & ones, addition like 27+35, graph, groupin etc), really very academic.

However, whenever I speak to my friends with kids in primary school, they felt that I'm killing my kids for sending them to a preschool that is over preparing. They do have playtime and outing quite frequently too. Sometimes I'm in dilemma too. Is it really over preparing him a bad thing?

Can some parents with primary school kids give some advice.

Thanks.

hope76
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Wow, interesting!

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby North_Mummy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 am

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing. Personally I'm in dilemma too. Seriously i agreed with MMM, the child calibre/ character/family support strongly affect how well he perform in the future... But in singapore where both parents are working so hard and not much time to spend tutoring the kid of course we hope to find a good preschool to prepare sufficiently our little one to formal education and not over charging us...

Hopefully more feedbacks from parents with kids attending various preschool such as Monterssori/ Learning Vision/ Cherie Hearts etc can be received and we can compare their PSLE score or positioning in the class (Pr1 -5) fm various primary school.

I remember someone told me this : You do not need to win in the begining of the race what matters is you win at the end of the race which sometime i think back this is quite true..

North_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BeContented » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 am

MMM wrote:Having 3 kids who are in primary school, I found it really difficult to answer as there are too many other factors to consider eg. the child's own talent/ calibre/ character/ family support towards the child. A talented child might be attending PCF but with his talent and diligence, he can be a top student.

But one interesting observation that I had on my P1 was that in her pre-school, they always have mini performance to the rest of the level. Eg. every friday 1-2 classes will perform through singing/ dancing infront of the other levels. She is in P1 this year, she related to me that when preparing for some class performance on stage, some of her friends have stage fright though it's in a group. She would tell them not to worry. So I thought maybe her preschool exposure helped made her more confident.

Agree with MMM.

Mine belong to .... ordinary preschool & pri school.

I do believe the really better preschools is able to provide more exposure and build more confidence in the child. As for academic, think impact may not be as obvious cos' besides the preschool, MANY send for further enrichment.

In my case....my 2 kids only attended a simple 3-hour Nursery & Kindergarten conducted by St. Francis of Assisi, basic stuff nothing much. Out of school, they were cared for by illiterate MIL and maid.

At 4-5yo, my kids attended a weekly play/fun-activity centre for ~2.5 hours (lasted ~1year) Basically dance and song, role-playing, ball-motorskill games. They have rooms with different themes with giant balls and props etc. One is a little maze with simple obstacle course where they need to climb, crawl etc ....at the end, all would be perspiring type (fun stuff ;)
Guess that's about all for their pre-Primary years, no other enrichment.

Now they are P5 & P6. Both started in ordinary neighborhood Pri sch. Younger one was transferred to a better sch at P4. Both are doing pretty fine in their school. The only weakness I do see is the inability to express themselves confidently and DD has stage fright.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 pm

My 3 kids went to the same pre-school. Kinderland kindergarden from pre-nursery to K2.

I was not so academic crazy with the 2 older kids. They attended stuff like Julia Gabriel S&D classes when they were up to nursery and K1. (one year gap). Then I realised from another experienced friend that phonics, etc... are crucial so we only got on the academic stuff (eg. EL and CL enrichment) when they are K2 and K1. Along the way, they have been in enrichment programmes. At this moment, both are doing ok for their studies. Throughout P1 till now, both probably 30+ percentile type. My P5 made it to top 3 classes this year. But one thing for sure is that they enjoy school and I sometimes wonder if this is due to their pleasant experience with school since kinderland time.

For the youngest, we were contemplating pats or kinderland. But I decided to stick with kinderland but I send her to enrichment classes (academic ones) since nursery (eg. CL, maths, EL). As the cost would probably be the same but I feel more comfortable sending her to the subject matter expert in each area though we would have to ferry her to class. Fortunately i had my mum to do it and there are alot of enrichment classes near her place.

The outcome??? My eldest is quiet type but fairly diligent. I don't have to watch her and she gets her work done and is the conscientious type. My 2nd is a boy and I have to watch him like a hawk. With this constant monitoring, he did ok but his teachers and we believed he is capable of much more.

Meanwhile for the 3rd who started enrichment classes much earlier. She is only P1 this year and I can't tell yet. Despite all the exposure, she is doing ok in school eg. 90 marks type but not the full marks or top of class. But one key observation is that unlike dd1, she is the type who will question you why must she do this and that. She will avoid work if possible and she is lazy....I told her even if she is blessed with good brains, her laziness will destroy everything... Hence.... I conclude that it's really difficult to tell the correlation of our "investment" with their results/ performance given the different "variables"...

But for dd1, she had a classmate and family background is quite humble. Eg. father is a bus driver and mum is a housewife. But he did very well academically from P1. I don't think he went to places like Pat's etc... We also saw another of their school/ classmates where given the same exposure, the sister went to top classes while the brother struggle to pass. They are 1 year apart as well.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care