Any chance of enrolling to a kindergarten?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Any chance of enrolling to a kindergarten?

Postby aussiemum » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi all,

My family will be moving to Singapore in a few months. We have 2 kids (2 & 3 years old). Looks like we have already missed many registration dates as we are not physically in Singapore and I am quite worried that we will not be able to enrol our kids to a kindergarten. We are interested in local schools.

Any suggestion on what we can do?

Thanks!!!
Aussiemum

aussiemum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Any chance of enrolling to a kindergarten?

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Have you emailed the kindergarten to check if you are able to register upon your return to Singapore?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:43 pm

It's not that hard to enroll in a kindergarten if you are not set on the really popular ones, and are willing to take an afternoon slot. It's childcare centers that are harder to find, and also centers/kindergartens that offer a flexi-scheme - ie 1/2/3/5 day a week programme.

The best thing you can do now is to determine where you will be staying so that you can start researching into the schools in the area. Unless it's the other way round for you. :)
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby aussiemum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

I have emailed a few. Some said already full, some said depend on avaliablity at the time we arrive SG. I guess I might have picked the popular ones.

At first, I was thinking to start with the areas where we may be staying (although I also have absolutely no idea) and target the kindi around the area but now.. I am not sure if I should just search for kindi which still have places avaliable and decide where to stay... it's kinda catch 22...

Also, my kids go to full day childcare in Australia. They both do afternoon naps. Not sure how long it will take for them to adjust if they go to afternoon class in SG.

aussiemum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Have you tried using the directory in Ministry of Community Development,
Youth and Sports, MCYS?

http://app1.mcys.gov.sg/dfcs/kindergarten/default.aspx

You might be able to find more kindergartens around the area that you are most likely to stay.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby aussiemum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Also, my kids are used to the "learn through play" style of education in Australia. Which kindi (not international ones) are more of this kind?

aussiemum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby huaywenandkenneth » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:56 pm

If your children are 2 and 3 yo, they would be N1 and N2 repsectively in 2013 (I am assuming you want to start the new term in Jan 2013?)
N1 is usually very popular and there are usually no vacancies as the class size is small, also, some kindergartens do not offer it.

I would suggest that you have a few places to stay in mind first, before looking for kindergartens (it seems strange to me to do the other way round, esp when you are keen on local ones). It would be also good for you to physically visit the kindergartens after you settle in spore, before making a choice, rather than based on available vacancies, as you may not like the particular kindergarten, even if it has vacancies.

huaywenandkenneth
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby huaywenandkenneth » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:58 pm

You can check out some info on this link, and also the sub links on the right hand bar of the webpage to look for the kindergartens.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/prescho ... dergarten/

huaywenandkenneth
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Pure Purple » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi aussiemum

I'm a singaporean mum in the land of oz!
Are you looking for a childcare or kindy? Childcare in Singapore is typically mondays to fridays, can be half-days or full-days. Kindies are around 2-3hrs daily. Have you secured your housing already? I think it depends on where you are staying. It is not so hard to find a childcare or kinder vacancy in Sg. More than happy to share information, having navigated the Singapore early childhood scene before. You can also send me a private message if you want to talk more.

Cheers! All the best on your big move.

Pure Purple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care